Windows 10: How to turn ON or Off Secondary Shift Characters Lock in Windows10

Discus and support How to turn ON or Off Secondary Shift Characters Lock in Windows10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Useful keyboard features in Windows makes navigation easier and tasks or functions quicker. You […] This article How to turn ON or Off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 30, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to turn ON or Off Secondary Shift Characters Lock in Windows10

WinClub, Oct 30, 2020
  2. MiSt77 Win User

Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Oct 30, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Intel Speed Shift Technology Skylake

You just need a Skylake CPU and ThrottleStop, once turned on speed shift you can exit the software as unclewebb said above.

P4-630, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Allan Mej Win User

Windows10 update

Hi Ray,

To troubleshoot your issue, we suggest doing these following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

• Turn off your PC.
    • Press and hold Shift then turn on your PC.
    • Wait for the setup (set up fixes the problem automatically).
    Method 2

• Create a media creation tool by following the steps in this
      link
    • Select your preferred installation option and wait for the process to finish.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

1. How to turn ON or Off Secondary Shift Characters Lock in Windows10 - Similar Threads - turn Off Secondary

2. how to turn off fn lock

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to turn off fn lock: I own a 11.6" 2-in-1 Convertible Notebook made by gateway and my function keys don't work right like f5 is supposed to turn up the volume instead it refreshes my page on edge and i thought that it was fn lock but my pc does not seem to have the fn lock button so i looked it...
  3. how to turn off fn lock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to turn off fn lock: I own a 11.6" 2-in-1 Convertible Notebook made by gateway and my function keys don't work right like f5 is supposed to turn up the volume instead it refreshes my page on edge and i thought that it was fn lock but my pc does not seem to have the fn lock button so i looked it...
  4. How to Turn on or off Shift Lock on Touch Keyboard in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Turn on or off Shift Lock on Touch Keyboard in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you want to enable or disable Shift Lock for Touch Keyboard in Windows 11 or Windows 10, this guide will help you do that. It is possible to turn on or off Shift Lock for your Touch keyboard with the help of the Registry Editor. You might often need to type...
  5. Shift turns on and off weirdly+ more

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shift turns on and off weirdly+ more: Recently out of no where my laptop decided to just break with its shift key. Every key that isn’t a letter acts like shift is on for example forward slash now always does question mark and when I use shift then press it, it does nothing. My numbers at the top do their shift...
  6. How to turn off the Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off the Lock Screen: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and realized that after my computer goes to sleep that a lock screen comes up and i have to re-enter my password. Is there a way to just allow my computer to go to sleep without going to the lock screen afterwards...
  7. how to turn off lock screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to turn off lock screen: how do I turn off the lock screen * Moved from Windows 8.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-lock-screen/89d2dfc0-22f9-4ea8-824d-3ad360d48657
  8. screen lock - how to turn it on or off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    screen lock - how to turn it on or off: I want to be able to lock my screen with one key-press when I leave it. I cannot find anything in any of the help that relates to this. Any ideas? Thanks....
  9. Secondary HDD not turning off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not turning off: Hey guys, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on. I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the...
  10. Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

in Windows 10 Support
    Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock: In Windows 7 there was a Keyboard tab that let you use the Shift key to turn off Caps Lock, it seems to be missing in Windows 10. Anyone know how to set this? 69309

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to use secondary shift characters