Windows 10: How to turn poorly placed POWER button into NONE/SLEEP?

Discus and support How to turn poorly placed POWER button into NONE/SLEEP? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a friend who bought this on my recommendation -- [img] Pretty nice for $429 at Walmart. The product has one known shortcoming -- [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by The Pool Man, Jan 16, 2021.

1. How to turn poorly placed POWER button into NONE/SLEEP?

I have a friend who bought this on my recommendation --

How to turn poorly placed POWER button into NONE/SLEEP? [​IMG]

Pretty nice for $429 at Walmart. The product has one known shortcoming --

That Power button is WAY too close to that Power button. So someone in Amazon comments said --

"Power button placement next to the delete key was a pain, but through windows you can change the function of the power button to none/sleep."

Is this possible? And how? And then I wonder but what if you need to do a forced shutdown? It would seem to me that clicking the key should do nothing but leaning on it would cause the shutdown.

I don't know where to begin the begin, if you will.

*Wink

:)

The Pool Man, Jan 16, 2021
  2. kobib Win User

PC Won't go to sleep - Fixed Feature Power Button

Hi recently my laptop won't go to sleep, after one second is back from sleep saying that the power button was the trigger for waking up.

I tried everything that I saw in similar post all over the forums.
    1. All the drivers updated
    2. Turn of all wake timers and allow device to wake up the computer from mouse, keyboard, Realtek PCIe Controller, Wireless AC.
    3. Turn "wake computer" from UpdateOrchestrator in Task Scheduler
    4. Run all the troubleshooters from windows
    5. Reinstalled Windows latest build
    6. Tried on older Windows build

Has anyone can suggest anything else ?
    It drives me crazy , its suddenly happened and now a can't find any solution

kobib, Jan 16, 2021
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Sleep Button recently disappeared from power button.

Hi,

One of the possible reasons why the Sleep button is not available is that it has been disabled from the settings of your PC. For us to assist you, we recommend that you follow the simple steps listed below to enable the Sleep button:

• Press the Start menu.
    • Type Control Panel, and then press Enter.
    • At the upper right side of your window, change the View by option to
      Large icons.
    • Click on Power Options.
    • Select Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side of the window.
    • Press on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down to the Shutdown settings section. Now check the Sleep checkbox and click Save changes button.

After doing these steps kindly check if the Sleep button is now available.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jan 16, 2021
  4. How to turn poorly placed POWER button into NONE/SLEEP?

turning off the display option for power button

Hi Caro,

The function to turn off the display on your device only affects the monitor but the rest of the programs still run in the background. On the other hand, sleep mode turns off any unused programs to save energy. To change the power option on your device,
    follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box and press Enter.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Power Options.
    • Select Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Under Power and sleep button settings, click the drop-down arrow for
      When I press the power button: option and select Turn off the display.
    • Click Save changes.

Once you're done, check if the music still plays after clicking the power button.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Darwin Dim, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

How to turn poorly placed POWER button into NONE/SLEEP?

1. How to turn poorly placed POWER button into NONE/SLEEP? - Similar Threads - turn poorly placed

2. Power button works to turn on but not turn off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power button works to turn on but not turn off.: I own a Spectre x360 16 and the power button works normally when turning on but if I were to hold the power button to shut down, it acts like I haven’t done anything. There is no indication of error or any tabs open, acts like I haven’t touched the button at all. Went to...
  3. Power button works to turn on but not turn off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power button works to turn on but not turn off.: I own a Spectre x360 16 and the power button works normally when turning on but if I were to hold the power button to shut down, it acts like I haven’t done anything. There is no indication of error or any tabs open, acts like I haven’t touched the button at all. Went to...
  4. Sleep mode and power button isn't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode and power button isn't working: For some reason the power button/ sleep mode doesn't want to actually turn off the computer. It turns off the monitor for a second and then just turns it back on on the lock screen 2 seconds after and no matter how many times I press the power button or try to turn it to...
  5. Sleep mode and power button isn't working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep mode and power button isn't working: For some reason the power button/ sleep mode doesn't want to actually turn off the computer. It turns off the monitor for a second and then just turns it back on on the lock screen 2 seconds after and no matter how many times I press the power button or try to turn it to...
  6. When I press the power button the screen turns off but the laptop doesn't go to sleep. How...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I press the power button the screen turns off but the laptop doesn't go to sleep. How...: When I press the power button on the laptop, the screen turns off but the laptop does not go to sleep and the mute light that comes up when you mute the system comes on...
  7. Wake from sleep only with power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake from sleep only with power button: Using a Surface Pro 6 with Windows 10 latest update I want that it wakes up ONLY when I press the power button. Nothing else. Instead, it wakes up when plugging or unplugging the power cable, moving the mouse ever so slightly or pressing a button on the keyboard (both...
  8. PC power button won't turn on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC power button won't turn on: So, I am having this problem for a while. I have a computer that is 7 years old, although old I am still able to do work with it perfectly until there's a problem. I shut down my computer when I'm not using, but when I try to turn it on by pressing the power button sometimes...
  9. Power button sleep on Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Power button sleep on Creators Update: I'm running Dell XPS 15 (9550) which I use for work. Finally our admins have upgraded McAfee which used to prevent Cretors Update from coming on my machine. Since a couple of days I'm running CU then! I have "sleep" function linked heto t power button settings (in power...
  10. Laptop power button and sleep settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop power button and sleep settings: Hi all, I have a Lenovo W510 laptop with Windows 10 Professional. I see in the power settings that I can configure the power button to put the laptop to sleep when pressed. I have it configured as such but when I press the power button, nothing happens. If I manually put...