Windows 10: How to tweak or (momentarily) disable Boot Manager

Discus and support How to tweak or (momentarily) disable Boot Manager in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, Boot Manager is a useful utility by all means. And in normal circumstances, it can run by itself. Indeed, when unattended, the boot operation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by haku, Apr 4, 2019.

1. haku Win User

How to tweak or (momentarily) disable Boot Manager

Hello,

Boot Manager is a useful utility by all means. And in normal circumstances, it can run by itself. Indeed, when unattended, the boot operation continues after a short, preset time - usually about 20 seconds. Except in one particular case I am confronted with.

With a major Windows update, the machine needs sometimes to reboot several times. And then, during such an automatic reboot, an extra item, mostly called "Setup", appears as the first and highlighted choice above the default "Windows 10" choice. Now, contrarily to that regular default "Windows 10" choice, the "Setup" item has no preset time to proceed by itself with the boot operation, but remains forever stuck on that choice! In other words, it needs the presence of the user to press enter, so that the process can continue.

Taken by itself, it is one more instance of inconsistency in the way Microsoft manages its utilities and Windows in general. Indeed, there is no reason whatsoever why the process would not be allowed to continue after a preset time, as in a regular reboot.

As such, the discrepancy would be just a minor annoyance. Except...

I'm often on the road and work at a distance on my main machine at home via a remote desktop access VPN app (in my case TeamViewer - though any VPN app would do). Now, whenever Microsoft goes on a major update rampage, without any previous warning as usual nowadays, the VPN Internet link is lost during each of the automatic reboots, and is only recovered on the opening screen (the one where the user must fill in the password to access Windows).

Again, this would also be just a temporary annoyance (although losing contact without warning is terribly inconvenient!) But because the home machine remains stuck on the "Setup" choice during the temporary Internet blindness of the reboot, there is no way to continue working on that machine if no-one is at home! That is an awful situation, to put it mildly.

And no way to stop the update process beforehand, say if one suspects such a major update to occur during one's absence. Indeed, Microsoft has made it practically impossible to stop its updates to happen, even on a temporary basis. An incomprehensible measure which considers users as nonsensical babes.

Now, my request for a possible solution to remedy the boot manager problem.

Is there a way to tweak that "utility" in such a fashion that, when the first highlighted choice in an automatic reboot is indeed "Setup", the boot operation would continue after a preset amount of seconds - just like it happens with a regular reboot?

Or, more drastically, although I don't think Microsoft would make this possible, can one momentarily bypass boot manager altogether? "Momentarily" because, as said, it remains a useful utility in regular circumstances.

Or does anyone know of another temporary solution?

Thanks for looking into this.

:)

haku, Apr 4, 2019

2. Windows boot manager

Since performing a clean boot was not able to address the issue, we suggest that you disable your antivirus temporarily. This is to check if the program is causing the Windows boot manager issue. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Locate your antivirus program's icon on the right portion of the Taskbar.
    • Once the antivirus program has been located, right-click on the icon and select
      Disable, Stop or something similar.
    • If you were not able to do this on the Taskbar, you may need to open the program and disable it using the program's menu.
    • Try to check again if the issue persists after disabling the antivirus program.

If you're not getting the same issue with Windows boot manager after disabling the antivirus program, you may need to contact the program's support directly for further assistance.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should
    re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Feel free to post back for an update and let us know if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, Apr 4, 2019
  3. Windows boot manager

There could be some system conflict triggered after the said changes. To help you with your concern, we suggest that you perform a clean boot. A
    clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This will help to determine what is causing the issue on the Windows boot manager. To do this, click on this
    link and scroll down to the
    How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot section then follow the steps listed..

Note: If the installation is successful and the issue has been resolved. Please go through the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual” to reset your computer to the normal startup.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Apr 4, 2019
  4. How to tweak or (momentarily) disable Boot Manager

windows10 ,laptop question regarding disableing security software at boot

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

You can disable the startup programs so that it will not start up when you turn the system on.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Run.

• Type msconfig. Click OK.

• Click on Startup. Click on Open Task Manager.

• Select the program and click on Disable.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

How to tweak or (momentarily) disable Boot Manager

1. How to tweak or (momentarily) disable Boot Manager - Similar Threads - tweak momentarily disable

2. How to disable Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Windows Boot Manager: Some time back I installed Windows Boot Manager so I could choose which of two Windows 10 installations on separate physical drives to boot up.That facility is no longer required.Advice on how to delete/stop/disable Windows Boot Manager will be appreciated....
  3. How to disable Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Windows Boot Manager: Some time back I installed Windows Boot Manager so I could choose which of two Windows 10 installations on separate physical drives to boot up.That facility is no longer required.Advice on how to delete/stop/disable Windows Boot Manager will be appreciated....
  4. How to disable Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to disable secure boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable secure boot: Cant edit the secure boot option. Have changed admin and hdd password and tried to turn off fast boot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-secure-boot/0c2317d4-45c3-469f-8204-cc25a3efb475
  6. How to disable secure boot

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable secure boot: While setting up my new desktop, I did not setup a password since setup asked for MSN account password. Windows update later installed the latest version of windows. When the computer restarted, it recognizes me but wants a pin or password--which I don't have. It doesn't go...
  7. Task manager disables on boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task manager disables on boot: Hi guys, I am facing the following problem. On every boot, I get the message of giving permission to the Registry Editor to make changes on my device. On giving the permission, it disables the task manager. If I do not permit, then it goes into safe mode. To enable the Task...
  8. tweak?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    tweak?: I was having slow speeds transferring files across two pcs (sometimes3.3 kps) hit upon this tip will searching google. control panel/device manager/network adapters choose your ethernet adapter/properties advance tab large send offload (ipv4) to disable large send offload...
  9. How to tweak tiles ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to tweak tiles ?: Good day all, I use my SurfaceGo in tablet mode and often create shortcut / tiles and place those on the tabletmode "desktop" (right name for tablet mode?). But when making more than one small tile for the same domain the all use the same logo and color and therefore there...
  10. Tweaking File Manager Columns in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Tweaking File Manager Columns in WIN 10: I find myself too often adding an Attributes column and then moving it to the leftmost column location within File Manager. Is it possible to tweak File Manager such that an Attributes column is always included and appears as the leftmost column within File Manager ? I...