Windows 10: how to type smart punctuation by default

Discus and support how to type smart punctuation by default in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; whenever i type, (' ") it is straight, is there a way in the settings to change it to type the "smart quotes"/curly submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lookatalldozchickens, Nov 6, 2020.

1. how to type smart punctuation by default

whenever i type, (' ") it is straight, is there a way in the settings to change it to type the "smart quotes"/curly

submitted by /u/lookatalldozchickens
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lookatalldozchickens, Nov 6, 2020

2. E52 prediction and punctuation

Everytime I end a sentence and move to add a period the "&" symbol comes up by default and I have to open the list and scroll down to the period. This is maddening since a period is the punctuation I use the most. Can I adjust this somehow? I don't want
    the "&" symbol on the top of the list. It's the same with words....commonly used words are way down the list and esoteric nonsense gets put in the first position. My old Nokia 3100 learned what words were used most and also had common words at the top. I hate
    texting on this phone because of having to scroll down for several words and most punctuation.

Any tips?

cooperjones, Nov 6, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Punctuation

I had the exact same issue when I had US keyboard loaded, i had to press the space bar after each punctuation symbol.

Loading a UK keyboard is not the solution as you have seen as the @ and " are in different places on a UK keyboard

Go back to the language settings in Control Panel and add the US Touch keyboard, move it to the top of the list and delete the UK keyboard, then reboot.

Now the @ and " will be in the correct place and there will be no need to hit the spacebar after punctuation . . .

DaveM121, Nov 6, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

how to type smart punctuation by default

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

how to type smart punctuation by default [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

how to type smart punctuation by default [​IMG]

Bree, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

how to type smart punctuation by default

1. how to type smart punctuation by default - Similar Threads - type smart punctuation

2. Voice typing adds a space before punctuation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Voice typing adds a space before punctuation: Hello everyone,I've been having a problem with voice input on Windows 11 for several weeks now:When I dictate text, a space is systematically added before punctuation, especially before points.A few details:This only happens when I dictate in French in English everything...
  3. Voice typing adds a space before punctuation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Voice typing adds a space before punctuation: Hello everyone,I've been having a problem with voice input on Windows 11 for several weeks now:When I dictate text, a space is systematically added before punctuation, especially before points.A few details:This only happens when I dictate in French in English everything...
  4. Microsoft online Voice Typing punctuation commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft online Voice Typing punctuation commands: Voice Typing is an excellent tool but as a humble developer I miss a few punctuation commands:- double quotation marks " " “ ” is not adequate in a code editor.- backslash \- { }- :I am using the Swedish version of the tool....
  5. Microsoft online Voice Typing punctuation commands

Microsoft online Voice Typing punctuation commands: Voice Typing is an excellent tool but as a humble developer I miss a few punctuation commands:- double quotation marks " " “ ” is not adequate in a code editor.- backslash \- { }- :I am using the Swedish version of the tool....
  6. How To fix voice Typing random capitalization Even With Auto punctuation disabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To fix voice Typing random capitalization Even With Auto punctuation disabled?: Using win 11 voice typing STT tool. As I dictate, any slow down in speech rate causes it to capitalize the next word. For example, "As I was Walking down the street And noticed nothing Out of the ordinary.."Any efficiency gained is offset by the time it takes to correct the...
  7. How To fix voice Typing random capitalization Even With Auto punctuation disabled?

How To fix voice Typing random capitalization Even With Auto punctuation disabled?: Using win 11 voice typing STT tool. As I dictate, any slow down in speech rate causes it to capitalize the next word. For example, "As I was Walking down the street And noticed nothing Out of the ordinary.."Any efficiency gained is offset by the time it takes to correct the...
  8. I have to type twice, to be able to write some punctuations.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have to type twice, to be able to write some punctuations.: To able to write following `` "" '' ~~ ^^ marks i have to type twice. And if type once then type a letter it comes out like á à é è Ä Ã Â Ë Ê these. For lower case characters I don't even press shift or any other control buttons, I just press ' aposthrope then letter to be...
  9. Punctuation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Punctuation: Why does back slash right hashtags and when i press shift-backslash it writes a ~. but i i do what im supposed to do to write a ~, i get a ¬. shift-2 writes ". shift-3 writes £. shift-' writes @. How do i fix? BTW I choose windows cuz i think it software issue. but how to...
  10. Punctuation problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Punctuation problem: Since the upgrade to Windows 10 I've been having a problem with punctuation marks in gmail. Specifically, question marks are being substituted for quotation marks and apostrophes, and maybe others. Any ideas why this is happening? TIA, Bob 28674