Windows 10: How to Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Edge Because of Malware Issue

Discus and support How to Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Edge Because of Malware Issue in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro – 64 bit Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.752) Microsoft Edge Version 80.0.361.111 (Official build) (64-bit) Hello, Question How do I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Stecyk, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Stecyk Win User

How to Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Edge Because of Malware Issue

Windows 10 Pro – 64 bit Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.752)
    Microsoft Edge Version 80.0.361.111 (Official build) (64-bit)

Hello,

Question

How do I uninstall Microsoft Edge and reinstall it? Do I need to do anything special to help ensure that the malware is gone when I uninstall? Are there any specific things or steps that I should do before uninstalling so that I keep my favorites and other important settings?

Background Information

In the past few days, I began getting malicious redirects when on the Wall Street Journal website. I would begin reading an article and then be redirected to some spammy site. Or the redirection would fail. Often Norton 360 would warn me that it blocked attacks from malicious websites. This problem only seems to happen on the Wall Street Journal.

Because my problem was localized to only one website, I thought it was their issue. So I wrote to them to complain. They suggested that I clear my cache to see if that makes a difference and that I should try Google Chrome.

I cleared my cache. Problems remained. I tried Google Chrome and the beta version of Microsoft Edge. My problems disappeared. So that leads me to believe that my Microsoft Edge is corrupted with malware somehow.

Norton 360 and Malawarebytes say that my computer is clean. Yet by its behavior, I know that I have an issue.

I am hoping that my problem is localized to Microsoft Edge and not my entire computer. That is, if the problem were deeper than Microsoft Edge, I would expect that Google Chrome would be affected too.

While I do not have an extensive list of favorites, I don't want to lose them either. Because they are synced, I am hoping that I will recover them when I reinstall.

I don't have many extensions, just Dashlane, Office, and Save to Pocket.

I look forward to your help. Thank you.

:)

Stecyk, Apr 10, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Microsoft Edge doesn't open in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge doesn't open in Windows 10.

Somehow my system got infected with some malware. Due to which Edge was opening random ads in new tabs with any click on any site. After some efforts I cleaned the malware, but the malware seem to have broken edge; some edge files also got cleaned out.

Now while opening opening blue screen comes fine, just a quick flash of Edge window comes but without showing anything or allowing to do anything closes itself.

I couldn't uninstall and re-install as Edge doesn't show in programs list.

I also tried following steps as suggested by the Microsoft Virtual support agent, No issues came up with that and nothing got resolved.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    • In the Administrator Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

shubhamgpt, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Slugger Win User

Reinstalling Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge would pop up and then close. I searched all over the net for the solution!

http://superuser.com/questions/94929...0-edge-browser

from link:

" I had faced similar issues with the edge browser. It disappeared one day. There was no way to manually launch the edge browser. Today I was able to fix it.
    First we need to delete the corrupt edge folder. The path => C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Delete the "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" Folder
    You may not able to delete the folder itself and 2 or 3 files. but it does'nt matter. Select the folder, Hit Delete, Then if it asks for admin privileges, Just hit skip and then ok . Restart the computer.
    Then Launch Powershell as administrator and run the following command. Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}
    Hit enter and once the command is executed, Quit powershell and restart the computer to complete the process.
    The edge browser will be back and running in all its glory.
    Please find below the link to the site that has step by step instruction to reinstall the edge browser http://www.techtantri.com/how-to-rei...-edge-browser/

"

Now Microsoft Edge works!

Slugger, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

1. How to Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Edge Because of Malware Issue - Similar Threads - Uninstall Reinstall Microsoft

2. Malware Extension keeps reinstalling itself on Edge!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malware Extension keeps reinstalling itself on Edge!: Hi I have a bitcoin miner trojan or something that keeps popping up on Malwarebytes every time i reset pc. It has to be hiding as a fake Microsoft task program or something.. I delete and quarantine but they keep coming back? any suggestions?...
  3. How to uninstall and reinstal microsoft store?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to uninstall and reinstal microsoft store?: how do i reinstall microsoft store? it appears in the start menu but does show up on the apps list in the settings. When i click microsoft store in the start menu, it doesnt work thats why i needed to uninstall and reinstall it but i dont know how....
  4. How to uninstall and reinstal microsoft store?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to uninstall and reinstal microsoft store?: how do i reinstall microsoft store? it appears in the start menu but does show up on the apps list in the settings. When i click microsoft store in the start menu, it doesnt work thats why i needed to uninstall and reinstall it but i dont know how....
  5. Uninstall Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Uninstall Microsoft Edge: is there a PowerShell command to completely remove microsoft edge on 2009? i already uninstalled the chromium version using CCleaner. submitted by /u/jakeyounglol1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ked2rc/uninstall_microsoft_edge/
  6. How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge Chromium?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge Chromium?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/XpenEnvy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fix13r/how_to_uninstall_microsoft_edge_chromium/
  7. how to uninstall microsoft edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to uninstall microsoft edge: how to uninstall microsoft edge in my laptop windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge/4396e807-7d62-46bf-9994-cac8abb78daa
  8. Uninstall microsoft edge

in Browsers and Email
    Uninstall microsoft edge: Guides and software to uninstall Microsoft edge, https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-...0-491534.shtml 111947
  9. How to uninstall Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    How to uninstall Microsoft Edge: Guides and software to uninstall Microsoft edge, https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-...0-491534.shtml 111947
  10. How to uninstall Microsoft Edge ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to uninstall Microsoft Edge ?: How to uninstall Microsoft Edge ? 12908

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uninstall ms edge

2. uninstall and reinstall microsoft edge