Windows 10: How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually

Discus and support How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In this guide, we will highlight the steps to uninstall Windows 10 updates if it is causing Blue Screen of Death, performance issues, system crashes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Apr 24, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually

In this guide, we will highlight the steps to uninstall Windows 10 updates if it is causing Blue Screen of Death, performance issues, system crashes and other critical problems on your computer. In addition, we will also explain how you can prevent your device from installing the buggy update again.

Windows 10 is updated at least two times a month with quality improvements, but there are a few cases where upgrading to a new version isn’t something you ever want to do. If a monthly patch brings one of the bugs you can’t deal with you might want to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually.

Removing Windows 10 updates and installing an older version of the OS is not without its own set of headaches. For example, if you roll back to the older version, your device might start working again, but you’ll be missing security improvements, which were addressed in the last update.

Uninstall Windows Updates using Settings

To uninstall Windows 10 updates using Settings app, use these steps:

1. Open Start menu.
    2. Click on cog icon to launch Settings page or type Settings.
    3. Click on Update & security.
      How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually Updates-and-Security.jpg
    4. Click on the View Update History.
      How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually View-update-history.jpg
    5. Identify the update that you wish to remove.
    6. Note the KB number of the patch.
    7. Click on Uninstall updates.
      How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually Uninstall-updates-screen.jpg
    8. In Control Panel, search for the update using the KB number.
      How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually Uninstall-Windows-10-update.jpg
    9. Select the update that you want to uninstall.
    10. Click on OK to uninstall the update.

If you’re unsure about the KB number of the faulty update, you can also use the “installed on” date filter in Control Panel to identify the latest updates.

Uninstall Windows Update using Command Prompt

You can uninstall updates you no longer need straight from the Command Prompt. First, you’ll have to know the KB number of the update and the basics of the Command Prompt.

To uninstall Windows 10 update using Command Prompt, use these steps:

1. Open Windows Search.
    2. Type cmd.
    3. Select “Command Prompt” in the results.
    4. Click on Run as an administrator.
    5. Enter the following command after replacing the KB ID:
      uninstall: wusa /uninstall /kb:[id]
    6. For example, if you want to remove KB5001330, use the command uninstall: wusa /uninstall /kb:5001330
    7. Type “Y” when asked to restart the PC and finish the uninstallation.

If you want to automatically restart the computer after the update is removed, you can use the following command instead:

wusa /uninstall /kb:[id] /quiet

If you want to get a prompt asking you to restart the computer, use the following command instead:

wusa /uninstall /kb:[id] /quiet /promptrestart

If you don’t want to restart the computer after removing the patch, use the following command:

wusa /uninstall /kb:[id] /quiet /norestart

Note that you must restart the computer manually to properly remove the patch. The above command will only delay the process and system reboot is still mandatory.

Uninstall Windows Update using DISM tool

Some updates cannot be removed even if you use WSUS for Command Prompt (PowerShell), Settings or Control Panel. This is because there are updates that are required by your computer and the process might fail with the following error message:

Security update for Microsoft Windows is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled.

To remove uninstallable updates using the DISM tool, use these steps:

1. Open Command Prompt (admin) window.
    2. Enter the following command:
      dism /online /get-packages | clip
    3. Open Notepad and paste the contents from the clipboard.

In Notepad, use the “Find” feature to check if the faulty update is installed. Note that some updates cannot be found using their KB ID. In this case, you need to enter the last three or four digits of the build number.

How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually DISM.jpg

For example, if you want to remove Build 19042.928 (KB5001330), search for 928 in the list.

How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually Copy-update-KB-ID.jpg

As shown in the above screenshot, select and copy the package identity.

The command to remove updates using DISM is dism /Online /Remove-Package /PackageName:[package_ID]

In the same Command Prompt or another instance, enter the following command after replacing the package ID with the one that you copied earlier.

dism /Online /Remove-Package /PackageName:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~19041.928.1.10

How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually Uninstall-Windows-Updates-with-DISM.jpg

If you followed the steps correctly, you will see the above screen in your Command Prompt window.

How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually Restart-the-computer-in-CMD.jpg

Once done, enter “Y” to restart the computer now.

How to block Windows Updates

After the update has been removed from your system, it needs to be blocked manually if you don’t want to install it again when you check for updates next time.

To block a particular Windows 10 update, follow these steps:

1. Download and open the “Show or hide updates” troubleshooter package from Microsoft’s website.
    2. Open the tool and click on Next.
    3. Click on Hide updates.
    4. Select the updates that you want to hide.
    5. Click on Next to block that faulty Windows update from appearing again.

If you want to reinstall the updates, launch the same tool again and unhide the updates.

The post How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Apr 24, 2021
  2. m4gicfour Win User

Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Apr 24, 2021
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Apr 24, 2021
  4. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Apr 24, 2021
Thema:

1. How to uninstall Windows 10 updates manually - Similar Threads - uninstall updates manually

2. Manually uninstalling game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually uninstalling game: After a long struggle with downloading and getting Forza Horizon 5 to finally run, It broke down again after playing for a few hours. I tried to "reset" the save file through the windows app window, which resulted in all my apps now showing Forza as uninstalled. The game is...
  3. Manually uninstalling game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Manually uninstalling game: After a long struggle with downloading and getting Forza Horizon 5 to finally run, It broke down again after playing for a few hours. I tried to "reset" the save file through the windows app window, which resulted in all my apps now showing Forza as uninstalled. The game is...
  4. How to selectively update window 10 manually?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to selectively update window 10 manually?: Some update causes problem and I would like to know on how to selectively update window 10 manually for testing.Once I find certain update causing the problem, how to avoid any this update in future?Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  5. Windows 10 update needs me to manually uninstall VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows 10 update needs me to manually uninstall VirtualBox: Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I hope someone can help me with this issue. In the past few weeks I got notices from Windows 10 Update that asked me to manually uninstall VirtualBox because that app was not compatible with Windows 10. I suppose it is preventing...
  6. Windows 10 update needs me to manually uninstall VirtualBox

Windows 10 update needs me to manually uninstall VirtualBox: Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I hope someone can help me with this issue. In the past few weeks I got notices from Windows 10 Update that asked me to manually uninstall VirtualBox because that app was not compatible with Windows 10. I suppose it is preventing...
  7. Need to manually uninstall VirtualBox for update of Windows 10, but there is no VirtualBox...

Need to manually uninstall VirtualBox for update of Windows 10, but there is no VirtualBox...: Need to manually uninstall VirtualBox for update of Windows 10, but there is no VirtualBox found in my PC. How should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-manually-uninstall-virtualbox-for-update/b5563afc-3fde-4857-a06b-df3e80b22a62
  8. Manually uninstalled update keeps reinstalling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Manually uninstalled update keeps reinstalling: I am trying to uninstall KB4569745 because it breaks my keyboard but after I uninstall it keeps automatically reinstalling. I also have updates paused submitted by /u/SonOfStarGod [link] [comments]...
  9. How To Update windows 10 Updates Manually.

How To Update windows 10 Updates Manually.: I am using win10 I want to choose updates for which is this mb to this gb. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-windows-10-updates-manually/ab9c8667-021d-4a5c-ad2c-56185b7cad32
  10. How to uninstall TPM Professional Package manually?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to uninstall TPM Professional Package manually?: Hi, I have been trying to uninstall the Infineon TPM Professional Package from my computer because my Windows updates won't update with this on my computer. I tried the control centre, security, and can't find the place to get rid of it. Frustrating like hell. Any help...