Windows 10: How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10

Discus and support How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Some Windows Updates when successfully installed on your Windows computer are marked as Permanent and do not offer an Uninstall option. In this post,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 30, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10

Some Windows Updates when successfully installed on your Windows computer are marked as Permanent and do not offer an Uninstall option. In this post, we explain this behavior and also provide a walkthrough on how to uninstall such updates.

How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10 Uninstall-Windows-Updates-without-Uninstall-option.jpg

Before we jump right into it, a bit of background.

If an installed update causes issues, PC users can open Control Panel, navigate to Programs and Features and select Installed updates – All installed updates are listed.

Normally, selecting an update shows an Uninstall button – but for some update packages, the Uninstall button is greyed out or isn’t available, as you can see from the lead-in image above.

Additionally, trying to uninstall the update via Advanced Options or via command prompt is futile.

Microsoft has published a document explaining in which cases a patch isn’t uninstallable. The options available are to roll back the system to a previous build before installing the update, perform a system restore, or restore the system image backup (if you have previously created a system image backup prior to the update). But what to do, if these options are not available or simply not working for you?

Uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option

Some updates are essentials for Windows and are integrated deeply into the system. Servicing Stack updates (which are now implemented as a combined package) are mandatory to install further updates – also installer updates are uninstallable. Microsoft declares such updates as “permanent” within the .msu file, while ordinary update packages are quoted as “removable”. Sometimes a KB article or the Update Release Notes, under the Removal information section, will indicate that the update is not uninstallable.

An update is set as permanent or removable within .mum (Microsoft Update Manifest) files within an .msu package. These .mum files may be found after installing an update at the following location as shown on the image below:

C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\

How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10 Uninstall-Windows-Updates-without-Uninstall-option-File-Explorer.jpg

The .mum files are simply XML files containing information about the update (KB number, language requirements, restart after installation required and so on).

As shown in the image below, the XML attribute permanence=”permanent” quotes an update as not uninstallable, while a missing attribute or an XML attribute value permanence=”removable” quotes an update as uninstallable.

How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10 Uninstall-Windows-Updates-without-Uninstall-option-MUM-file.jpg

Only updates with a missing or permanence=”removable” attribute are uninstallable via the usual methods.

To uninstall these updates marked as “permanent” from your Windows 10 device, do the following:

First, create a system restore point or create a system image backup, and then proceed as follows.

C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\
    • At the location, enter the search expression into the search box (for instance KB4577266*.mum), to filter the relevant files for the uninstallable update package.
    • Take ownership of the MUM file.
    • Once you have taken ownership of the MUM file, open the .mum file with any Text Editor.
    • In the text editor, identify the entry permanence=”permanent” and change it to permanence=”removable”.
    • Save the modified .mum file.
    • Repeat the steps above for all .mum files associated with the update package.

Once you’re done modifying all the necessary .mum files, you can try to uninstall the package via Control Panel – the Uninstall button should be available now.

That’s it!

How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10 Uninstall-Windows-Updates-without-Uninstall-option-MUM-file.jpg
    This article How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 30, 2021
  2. Drone Win User

Revo Uninstaller

free version doesn't list 64bit applications, hence totally helpless to remove them, while native windows uninstaller will do that.

only paid version revo uninstaller pro does and also another paid program called your uninstaller.

Drone, Apr 30, 2021
  3. How do you uninstall chipset drivers?

I'm installing a new mobo so I need to uninstall the intel 865g drivers to make way for the P35 drivers.

Can't find any uninstall options in add/remove programs and intel chipset inst listed in driver cleaner.

Any suggestions? *Confused How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10 :confused:

oli_ramsay, Apr 30, 2021
  4. Robbo123 Win User

How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10

cant uninstall 3dmark06

Should do the job, if you cant uninstall it, just delete everything you can find via windows explorer, and if it refuses to go, use some fileshredding software like what you suggested above!

Robbo123, Apr 30, 2021
Thema:

1. How to uninstall Windows Updates marked as Permanent without Uninstall option in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - uninstall Updates marked

2. How to permanently uninstall xbox from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanently uninstall xbox from Windows 11: PROBLEM:The Windows Update of March 14, 2023—KB5023706 OS Build 22621.1413 appears to automatically install xbox into WIN 11. Ever since, file explorer crashes, even after a fresh reboot. I have restarted windows explorer: task manager > processes > rt click Windows Explorer...
  3. How do I permanently uninstall windows powershell?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I permanently uninstall windows powershell?: I need to know how to UNINSTALL PowerShell or PERMANENTLY DISABLE it. Its mad annoying; keeps popping up and interrupting my videos and gameplay....
  4. How to uninstall optional features with revo uninstaller ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to uninstall optional features with revo uninstaller ?: Hoe to to a clean uninstall win10 optional features using revo uninstaller ? It only show the apps to unstall but not optional features. 182875
  5. How to uninstall or permanently disable on screen keyboard on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to uninstall or permanently disable on screen keyboard on Windows 10?: Hello. I recently bought a drawing tablet and installed it's driver. Since then, the on screen keyboard pops up every, single, time, I log in. I know It has to do with the driver, because I reinstalled it and the issue dissapeared once I got rid of it. The tablet's program...
  6. Windows update uninstalls optional features

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update uninstalls optional features: At our business we use several fonts that are now optional features they were not optional when we originally chose the fonts. Most updates uninstall the optional features, and we have to go back to reinstall fonts that we use every day. Is there a way to keep updates from...
  7. uninstall updates permanently

uninstall updates permanently: Hello Daniela here i have windows 10 my pc is only 5 months old was working great and since the update happed on Wednesday evening 9th everything has slowed down i work on ebay and other platforms and wednesday night i was prompt to update and shutdown or update and restart...
  8. Uninstalling an Optional update

Uninstalling an Optional update: I installed an optional update which has messed up the desktop looks. How can I roll back to previous update level. Thanks, Waxwing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstalling-an-optional-update/45dd90c4-632b-4ea1-8f3d-f071da065748
  9. How to uninstall windows 10 without losing ownership

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to uninstall windows 10 without losing ownership: Hi there, introduction: So, I've bought a SSD recently, and I wanted to use it instead of my current HDD which Windows 10 is currently installed and working perfectly fine, because it's faster, etc, etc. There is nothing installed on my SSD it's still in the box,...
  10. How to Uninstall Ethernet Controller, PERMANENTLY.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Uninstall Ethernet Controller, PERMANENTLY.: Without Resetting or Reinstalling Windows, again, that is. I've been having major issues with poor performance, and can see abnormal disc activity resulting in apps freezing since Windows 1803 update. Both after Reinstalling and after Resetting Windows, I began to notice...