Windows 10: How to universally prevent all devices from waking Windows 10?

Discus and support How to universally prevent all devices from waking Windows 10? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I'm a fairly advanced Windows user, but, I'm having difficulty figuring out if there's an in-built way to do this, or if someone out there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by revo, May 5, 2017.

1. revo Win User

How to universally prevent all devices from waking Windows 10?

Hello,

I'm a fairly advanced Windows user, but, I'm having difficulty figuring out if there's an in-built way to do this, or if someone out there has already found a registry hack or something to allow it.

I have a lot of USB devices, and several computers. Each computer also has more than one USB root hub.

I've found that if I take MOUSE_A and plug it into a USB port on my desktop, then I can go into the Device Manager and uncheck the "Allow this device to wake" option, and that's all fine, but then, if I take MOUSE_A out and plug in MOUSE_B, that option becomes checked again. Also, if I take MOUSE_A and plug it into a different USB port on a different root hub, that option becomes checked again.

When you have a dozen different USB devices sharing four computers and each computer has at least two root hubs, that ends up being like, 50ish times I need to go into the device manager to uncheck that stupid option.

So... here's the goal:

I want all of my Windows 10 computers to ONLY wake from hitting the power button. USB devices of any kind, whether they exist now or will be invented tomorrow, will not wake the computer under any circumstance. Network activity of any kind will not wake the computer under any circumstance. Any other device that isn't USB (Bluetooth, ESATA, etc.) will not wake the computer under any circumstance. The only way to wake the computer is to hit the power button on the chassis.

Can it be done? Registry hacks are fine. All help appreciated. Thank you.

:)

revo, May 5, 2017
  2. ChrisSlooter, May 5, 2017
  3. How to prevent W10 from waking up

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.
    Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Ensure that you have installed available Windows updates, including Optional updates.

I would also suggest you to install latest chipset drivers by downloading from the computer manufacturer’s website.

Method 2: Run Power Troubleshooter.
    Run the Power troubleshooter and check the issue status.
    a) Press Windows and X key together and select Control Panel.
    b) Click on Troubleshooting.
    c) Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.
    d) Click on Power troubleshooter option.

You can also check by editing the power plan. Refer to the following link to know more about editing the power plan.

Click on the below link to redirect to “Power plans: frequently asked questions”:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Note: it applies to windows 10 as well

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Niteshkumar1709, May 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 5, 2017
  5. ComputerGeek, May 6, 2017
  6. enigma101 Win User
    You could disable wake from USB in the Bios......

enigma101, May 6, 2017
  7. derek10 Win User
    +1 I have it disabled on my laptop

derek10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to universally prevent all devices from waking Windows 10? - Similar Threads - universally prevent devices

2. How to prevent a device from waking up PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent a device from waking up PC?: My computer woke up at night, recently after I put it to sleep. This is what the command prompt says about what woke it upWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  3. How to prevent a device from waking up PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent a device from waking up PC?: My computer woke up at night, recently after I put it to sleep. This is what the command prompt says about what woke it upWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  4. How to prevent USB Composite Device from waking up the computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent USB Composite Device from waking up the computer: I'm having trouble with a certain USB Composite Device waking up my computer when I don't want it to wake up. I have tried all tutorials that I found with Google but none of them solved the problem. Below is a screenshot that should contain all the relevant info. I would...
  5. Windows 10 from University

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 from University: Good afternoon, I am currently using Windows 10 home version, and I have been given the opportunity to activate Windows 10 consumer editions, version 2004 - DVD Is this a Windows 10 Pro version? from the University I am studying at. I would like to know what such a license...
  6. How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep: In Windows 10 version 1909, how do I prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep? I don't want my PC to wake from mouse and keyboard movements, but I am maybe okay for it to wake to install updates but if it does this, I'd like it to put itself back into...
  7. How to cancel the "Prevent all devices from installing"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to cancel the "Prevent all devices from installing": I set the valueName "DenyUnspecified"=1 in the Registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions", It's same with the "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings" in Group Policy "Computer...
  8. How to prevent Windows 10 from waking up from hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent Windows 10 from waking up from hibernate: How to prevent Windows 10 from waking up from hibernate from keyboard or mouse ? I want it to wake up only from power button 128925
  9. Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Devices to Wake Computer in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent devices to wake your Windows 10 PC from a hibernate state. You must be signed in as an...
  10. Prevent Win10 from waking device?

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent Win10 from waking device?: Hello, all device i updated to 10 (anniversary edition) wake from sleep by themselves & i'm not sure why. I checked events history but couldn't identify. Certainly related to (windows) update. How do i stop this? Thank you! 60731