Windows 10: How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere.

Discus and support How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I turned on BitLocker and simultaneously updated the bios.When the laptop restarted, I got the BitLocker recovery screen and now I don't have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nusaiba Farheen, Dec 20, 2023.

1. How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere.

I turned on BitLocker and simultaneously updated the bios.When the laptop restarted, I got the BitLocker recovery screen and now I don't have the recovery key for the BitLocker.The device is Intune enabled and I couldn't find the key on Azure Ad as well.I checked under myapps.microsoft.com and there isn't any key saved on Microsoft account as well.I tried to enable/disable safe boot, but it comes back to the same screen.

:)

Nusaiba Farheen, Dec 20, 2023
  2. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Dec 20, 2023
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Dec 20, 2023
  4. How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere.

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

more clear
    0down voteaccepted
    I managed to figure out how to fix this. It doesn't use the native auto-unlock function like I was hoping (rather a script that unlocks using a .BEK file, as I mentioned) but it seems to work just as well.

First, you need to create a .BEK file that can unlock the disk. This is the command I used:

manage-bde -protectors -add d: -rk c:\

Substitute d: with whichever drive you want to auto-unlock. The output will look something like this (take note of the "external key file name"):

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Key Protectors Added:

Saved to directory c:\

External Key:
    ID: {9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551}
    External Key File Name:
    9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551.BEK

Now you need to create the script to unlock the drive. Just create a batch file in the root directory with the following line:

manage-bde -unlock d: -rk C:\[external key filename]

Again, replace d: with the correct drive letter. Replace [external key filename] with the filename you got before.

Finally, you need to tell Windows to run this script at startup, before you log in. (Or at least I needed it to run then, because that's where my desktop, etc. are stored.) Here's how you do that:

• Press Win+R and enter gpedit.msc. (This is only in Pro, but so is BitLocker, so that's not an issue here.)

• On the left, navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)

• Double-click "Startup" on the right

• Click "Add..." and select the batch file you created before.

• Click OK and exit Group Policy Editor.
    Now you can reboot the computer to test it. You should see your drive automatically unlocked

Rafa anabe, Dec 20, 2023
Thema:

How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere.

1. How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere. - Similar Threads - unlock BitLocker without

2. Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?: I've recently swapped my Windows 10 hard disk in my HP Pro 400 desktop with a new SSD drive, and installed Windows 10 Pro because my PC my PC was getting slow. However, when I connect my old hard disk back to backup my file I got the blue Bitlocker Screen. I didn't set any...
  3. Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?: I've recently swapped my Windows 10 hard disk in my HP Pro 400 desktop with a new SSD drive, and installed Windows 10 Pro because my PC my PC was getting slow. However, when I connect my old hard disk back to backup my file I got the blue Bitlocker Screen. I didn't set any...
  4. Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Bitlocker key is not found, how do unlock the bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker key is not found, how do unlock the bitlocker: Hi,My laptop shows the Bitlocker page after it goes self-update. I tried to follow the instruction, however, my accounts says there is no bitlocker recovery key found. I asked my school IT desk, and they said they do not have any bitlocker found in my account as well. I have...
  6. Bitlocker key is not found, how do unlock the bitlocker

Bitlocker key is not found, how do unlock the bitlocker: Hi,My laptop shows the Bitlocker page after it goes self-update. I tried to follow the instruction, however, my accounts says there is no bitlocker recovery key found. I asked my school IT desk, and they said they do not have any bitlocker found in my account as well. I have...
  7. How to unlock bitlock without using recovery key and password

How to unlock bitlock without using recovery key and password: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlock-without-using-recovery-key/80a1fa6f-92cc-4b31-934b-30ae6a8e6599
  8. How to unlock bitlock without using recovery key and password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock bitlock without using recovery key and password: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlock-without-using-recovery-key/80a1fa6f-92cc-4b31-934b-30ae6a8e6599
  9. How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere.: I turned on BitLocker and simultaneously updated the bios.When the laptop restarted, I got the BitLocker recovery screen and now I don't have the recovery key for the BitLocker.The device is Intune enabled and I couldn't find the key on Azure Ad as well.I checked under...
  10. Bitlocker unlock has stuck key presses

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker unlock has stuck key presses: I'm not even sure how to title this. I just did a fresh install of Window 10. I do not have a TPM so I setup Require additional authentication at startup. I set up my C: drive with my bitlocker password and rebooted. When it comes to entering my bitlocker password, I...