Windows 10: How to unlock drive partition locked using Bitlocker with the help of Key ID

Discus and support How to unlock drive partition locked using Bitlocker with the help of Key ID in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Team, My whole drive was locked due to BitLocker which was enabled automatically. Last week I re-installed C: partition and now D: partition is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nams_123, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Nams_123 Win User

How to unlock drive partition locked using Bitlocker with the help of Key ID

Hi Team,

My whole drive was locked due to BitLocker which was enabled automatically. Last week I re-installed C: partition and now D: partition is locked and is asking for recovery key. When I try to open D drive, it prompts me Key ID 8-dig alpha-num. I do not know when BitLocker was enabled and I do not have recovery key as I was unaware of it.

Please help me find out the recovery key as I need my data saved in D: and I do not wish to format this drive.

Kindly help me in this.

Thanks!!

:)

Nams_123, Jul 27, 2020
  2. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Hey All,

Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which utilizes Bitlocker for encryption.

I went through all of the motions with the C:\ drive to be encrypted and even printed the recovery key. Well, at some point I plugged in a few My Passport USB drives and they became locked by Bitlocker To Go. Everytime I try to unlock or click on these drives it asks for the 48-bit key which I don't have because I never was prompted to encrypt/lock these drives.

How to unlock drive partition locked using Bitlocker with the help of Key ID [​IMG]

How to unlock drive partition locked using Bitlocker with the help of Key ID [​IMG]

IT says that there are no keys stored on the servers for these USB drives and suggested that this would be a "local" encryption. However, they also stated that they wouldn't be encrypted unless I was prompted about it. So, there's this mystery about how these USB drives came to be locked.

I've been doing some research and the closest I've come is getting some output about the protectors:
    Code:
    I've tried to copy the .bek file to another non-encrypted/locked USB but get:

Code:
    I've tried all of the passwords (even blank) I have in an attempt to unlock the drive:

Code:
    When I search my laptop by either the Numerical or External IDs, I get nothing even with hidden files enabled.

Can anybody provide any recommendations here? I can always provide any additional info. Should I also post in the MS forums?

There's so much data on these drives that I cannot loose.

Regards, Jimmy

coolguy9000, Jul 27, 2020
  4. How to unlock drive partition locked using Bitlocker with the help of Key ID

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

more clear
    0down voteaccepted
    I managed to figure out how to fix this. It doesn't use the native auto-unlock function like I was hoping (rather a script that unlocks using a .BEK file, as I mentioned) but it seems to work just as well.

First, you need to create a .BEK file that can unlock the disk. This is the command I used:

manage-bde -protectors -add d: -rk c:\

Substitute d: with whichever drive you want to auto-unlock. The output will look something like this (take note of the "external key file name"):

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Key Protectors Added:

Saved to directory c:\

External Key:
    ID: {9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551}
    External Key File Name:
    9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551.BEK

Now you need to create the script to unlock the drive. Just create a batch file in the root directory with the following line:

manage-bde -unlock d: -rk C:\[external key filename]

Again, replace d: with the correct drive letter. Replace [external key filename] with the filename you got before.

Finally, you need to tell Windows to run this script at startup, before you log in. (Or at least I needed it to run then, because that's where my desktop, etc. are stored.) Here's how you do that:

• Press Win+R and enter gpedit.msc. (This is only in Pro, but so is BitLocker, so that's not an issue here.)

• On the left, navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)

• Double-click "Startup" on the right

• Click "Add..." and select the batch file you created before.

• Click OK and exit Group Policy Editor.
    Now you can reboot the computer to test it. You should see your drive automatically unlocked

Rafa anabe, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

How to unlock drive partition locked using Bitlocker with the help of Key ID

1. How to unlock drive partition locked using Bitlocker with the help of Key ID - Similar Threads - unlock drive partition

2. How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?: I suddenly opened my PC and saw that my H drive is locked. I am having trouble to access my account. Please get back to me as soon as possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-locked-drive/04bcd4be-7090-4c17-9233-9dc8cc7c4294
  3. How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?: I suddenly opened my PC and saw that my H drive is locked. I am having trouble to access my account. Please get back to me as soon as possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-locked-drive/04bcd4be-7090-4c17-9233-9dc8cc7c4294
  4. How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Is there a way to unlock HDD Drive that's locked by Bitlocker without key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to unlock HDD Drive that's locked by Bitlocker without key?: Hello, after updating my laptop from Windows 10 to Windows 11 HDD drive D: is locked by Bitlocker.Previously i didn't had Microsoft account, i used only my gmail account. I didn't use Bitlocker at all.While updating to windows 11 i formatted only the C: drive, where Windows...
  6. Is there a way to unlock HDD Drive that's locked by Bitlocker without key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to unlock HDD Drive that's locked by Bitlocker without key?: Hello, after updating my laptop from Windows 10 to Windows 11 HDD drive D: is locked by Bitlocker.Previously i didn't had Microsoft account, i used only my gmail account. I didn't use Bitlocker at all.While updating to windows 11 i formatted only the C: drive, where Windows...
  7. BitLocker Drive ID and/or Recovery Key won't unlock

BitLocker Drive ID and/or Recovery Key won't unlock: BitLocker Drive ID: 097E857E-80BC-44A8-A955-8E36958A6493. Have Recovery Key but won't recognize it. Replaced my Hard Drive with Windows 10 Pro recently, as old H/Drive corrupted. How can I retrieve an updated Recovery Key to unlock?...
  8. One of my partition is locked using Bitlocker. I do not have recovery key. How to unlock...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    One of my partition is locked using Bitlocker. I do not have recovery key. How to unlock...: One of my partition is locked using Bitlocker. I do not have recovery key. How to unlock this partition? I tried formatting whole drive still the partition is locked. Please help....
  9. Locking an Unlocked BitLocker Enabled Drive

Locking an Unlocked BitLocker Enabled Drive: Hi, I searched for an option to lock an unlocked BitLocker enabled drive but couldn't find anything. The unlocked drive is accessible by the other user when switching the user account. There should be an option to lock the drive when a user has finished. I hereby suggest...
  10. unlock drive using bitlocker - encryption key is lost

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unlock drive using bitlocker - encryption key is lost: Hi Sir, i use lock to use Bitlocker. when i use Bitlocker in windows10 but then i install windows 8 and i unloack my dirve this bitloacker give error . it says password is incorrect. and my encryption key is lost. please help. its very urgent...