Windows 10: How to update definitions of a Windoes Defender Offline USB?

Discus and support How to update definitions of a Windoes Defender Offline USB? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. I have created a Windows Defender Offline stick. Can I manually update the definition files on it before scanning with it in the future?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LaurFlorin, Feb 17, 2021.

1. How to update definitions of a Windoes Defender Offline USB?

Hi.

I have created a Windows Defender Offline stick. Can I manually update the definition files on it before scanning with it in the future?

How to update definitions of a Windoes Defender Offline USB? 5094f0ab-0eb4-4802-8f4b-174dddc64651?upload=true.png

This is the definitions file on the stick. So if I later download the latest definitions from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates and replace the file on the stick with the latest mpam-fex64.exe from the website, will that reflect the newest definitions on the USB stick when i scan with it later?

Thank you!

:)

LaurFlorin, Feb 17, 2021
  2. Whick Win User

Windows Defender Offline for Windows 10

Tried this suggestion and it did not work. Tried to boot from USB with Windows Defender Offline transferred from a safe computer. Would not boot from USB. Message "Secure Boot Violation, Invalid Signature Detected, Check secure boot policy in Setup"
    Any suggestions on next steps for a Windows 10 compatible version of Windows Defender Offline?

Whick, Feb 17, 2021
  3. How to update a Windows Defender Offline Scan USB Tool before using it

How to update a Windows Defender Offline Scan USB Tool before using it on an offline computer
    -
    Good morning All,
    Yesterday I created a Windows Defender Offline Scan USB Tool to scan an old XP Notebook that is offline and due to its out of date OS will remain offline. Files will be moved to and from my desktop via a USB Drive and I want to make sure the XP machine is totally clean before putting it into operation.

When I ran the tool and saw it needed updating, which I can't do offline, I came here for advice. Arc gave me Brinks detailed instructions on making and updating the USB Tool.

"Note: If you run the Windows Defender Offline Tool again on the same USB flash drive, and if the following conditions below are met, the tool will only download new updated malware definitions (approx. 69.48 MB) and update the USB drive without reformatting it. [... & 3 Conditions]"

This morning I verified the used space on the USB drive before and after I ran the file <mssstool32.exe> a 2nd time on the same USB Drive and found the used space increased +/- 1 MB. However, running it again on the XP machine I received the same "Virus and Spyware Definitions: Out of Date" message (attached).
    [To be sure running the creation tool twice consecutively was not the issue I ran it again 2 more times with no additional changes to the used space.] And another try on the XP machine gave me the same "Needs Update" message.

Now I am wondering how the XP machine knows the Definitions are out of date. (?)
    -
    I'm sending my appreciation to all who read this and to those who offer suggestions.

jdUnionngarden, Feb 17, 2021
  4. FredWall Win User

How to update definitions of a Windoes Defender Offline USB?

Windows Defender Definition Updates.

Thank you Elba for the prompt reply. However, there is a problem: In "Control Panel" under the "Programs and Features" page > "View Installed Updates" the " Windows Defender Definition Updates" are NOT listed. Consequently, I cannot delete/uninstall them.
    The same thing happens when I use "Settings" >" Updates & Security" > "View Update History". Here the Definition Updates are all listed but I can't uninstall them either. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again, Fred

FredWall, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

How to update definitions of a Windoes Defender Offline USB?

1. How to update definitions of a Windoes Defender Offline USB? - Similar Threads - update definitions Windoes

2. Windows Defender Offline Scan Missing Definitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Offline Scan Missing Definitions: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro build 19405When I run a Windows Defender Offline Scan, msssWrapper always shows a warning message saying definitions are missing. How I Got Here: I was initially concerned because 1 my computer is slower than it ought to be, 2 there were two programs...
  3. Windows Defender Offline Scan Missing Definitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Offline Scan Missing Definitions: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro build 19405When I run a Windows Defender Offline Scan, msssWrapper always shows a warning message saying definitions are missing. How I Got Here: I was initially concerned because 1 my computer is slower than it ought to be, 2 there were two programs...
  4. Windows Defender Offline Scan Missing Definitions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Definitions update is not work on "Windows Defender Offline"

Definitions update is not work on "Windows Defender Offline": The "Windows Defender Offline"WDO definitions update is not work on my company's PC. Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 Hardware: Physical internet connection: None Situation: All of USB port has broken, and has the CD/DVD optical drive only. Reference: Help protect my PC with...
  6. Missing definitions in Defender Offline scan

Missing definitions in Defender Offline scan: Hi !Although no threats were found, The log of Defender Offline scan indicates the following missing definitions :WARNING 2021/06/06 08:52:55:641 TID:1596 PID:1564 Missing definitions file in 'C:\mpam-fex64.exe' WARNING 2021/06/06 08:52:55:641 TID:1596 PID:1564 Missing...
  7. How to update the virus definition for the Defender?

How to update the virus definition for the Defender?: I am receiving the Win 10 alarm sounded while surfing the internet, saying my PC has virus, and led me to the process for virus update. I am wonder it was a fake message, I would appreciate someone can show me how to get the virus update by down load the virus definition...
  8. definition updates for defender

definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  9. definition updates for defender

in Windows 10 Support
    definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  10. Updating Defender Definitions.

Updating Defender Definitions.: can't update the definition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/updating-defender-definitions/01d2f8f4-51bd-48f3-b7d7-03f00f5c959d