Windows 10: How to update Group Policy Templates in for Local Computer?

Discus and support How to update Group Policy Templates in for Local Computer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need some clarification about updating Group Policy Templates (*.admx, *.adml) on a local Windows 10 machine please. Information on the web is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bamajon1974, Aug 7, 2021.

1. How to update Group Policy Templates in for Local Computer?

I need some clarification about updating Group Policy Templates (*.admx, *.adml) on a local Windows 10 machine please. Information on the web is not very clear. 1. Are the Administrative Templates downloaded from the MS website (for example, the 21H1 templates can be found at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...aspx?id=103124) meant to update just a single, local computer? Or are they meant to update templates on a Central Store Server that handles multiple computers on a network? Or both? 2. If the Administrative Templates are used to update a local computer, what the correct procedure for doing so? When the Administrative Template MSI files downloaded from MS are executed, the newest template files are copied into the Program Files directory only. Does the user have to manually copy the *.admx and *.adml files into the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder? 3. It appears that each feature update also updates MOST of the Administrative Templates in the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder, but a couple are not updated, such as windowsmediadrm.admx and windowsmediaplayer.admx which involve Windows Media Player. However, the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder is protected and the older *.admx, *.adml files cannot be overwritten with newer files by simply copying without changing the owner from TrustedInstaller to User. Am I supposed to overwrite older templates with newer ones and is there a better way to update without changing owner? 4. The Administrative Templates downloaded from MS also include grouppolicypreferences.admx and mmcsnapins2.admx which are not included in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions. What do they do are are they intended for administering other network computers and, thus, unnecessary? 5. Are the Administrative Templates downloaded from the MS website for each feature update cumulative? Meaning, if you start with a fresh install of 21H1, you don't need to back install the previous templates (such as 20H1, 20H2, etc.) before installing the 21H1 templates? I am pretty sure each update is cumulative but I wanted to ask anyway. 6. For installing Administrative Templates for other programs, such as Office, OneDrive, Edge....these templates are not included in a Windows installation. I assume these *.admx and *.adml files are just copied into the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder? Thanks!

:)

bamajon1974, Aug 7, 2021
  2. nProf78 Win User

Local group policy windows settings and administrative templates

When I check local group policy editor, there are user and computer configurations.

There are also software settings, windows settings, and administrative templates.

My questions :

What are the difference between windows settings and administrative templates ?

Why couldn't I find same windows setting group policy on administrative templates ?

How to make windows settings exportable like admx template ?

nProf78, Aug 7, 2021
  3. uberduba Win User
    Can't find Administrative Templates Under Computer Configuration in Local Group Policy Editor

I was finding myself trying to follow this guide by user DracoGT:

Fix for the horrendous Download Speed for Xbox Game Pass Beta!

When I was unable to follow one of the steps as it requested that I explore the folder "Administrative Templates" In the Computer Configuration branch.

I'm trying to find the folder in Local Group Policy Editor (win+r gpedit.msc)

I've already followed multiple guides (linked below) but to no avail. Thanks.

Some Group Policy areas are missing - Windows Server

How to manage the Group Policy on Windows 10, 8 and 8.1?

uberduba, Aug 7, 2021
  4. archz2 Win User

How to update Group Policy Templates in for Local Computer?

Administrative template missing in group policy editor.

I have Windows 10 version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1171).I want to speed up the loading of thumbnails in the file explorer for pdf files. I went to this article and it lists the steps that involve editing the group policy. https://www.guidingtech.com/speed-up-thumbnail-loading-windows-10/

Unfortunately, I am not getting the administrative template in my group policy editor and cannot proceed.

How to update Group Policy Templates in for Local Computer? [​IMG]

I am the sole user of my laptop with admin privileges. Please advise.

I tried installing admin templates from this link but it didn't solve my issue.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...aspx?id=102157

archz2, Aug 7, 2021
Thema:

How to update Group Policy Templates in for Local Computer?

1. How to update Group Policy Templates in for Local Computer? - Similar Threads - update Group Policy

2. How to adjust template for shortcuts: local policy and/or AD Group policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to adjust template for shortcuts: local policy and/or AD Group policy: The default behavior is that when I create a shortcut to 'documents', for example, it makes the shortcut "Documents - Shortcut".Is there a policy somewhere that I can set that modifies this behavior?I've looked and searched but the terms to search are ambiguous and provide...
  3. How to adjust template for shortcuts: local policy and/or AD Group policy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to adjust template for shortcuts: local policy and/or AD Group policy: The default behavior is that when I create a shortcut to 'documents', for example, it makes the shortcut "Documents - Shortcut".Is there a policy somewhere that I can set that modifies this behavior?I've looked and searched but the terms to search are ambiguous and provide...
  4. How to adjust template for shortcuts: local policy and/or AD Group policy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. In group policy Administrative template not getting updated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In group policy Administrative template not getting updated: I have created wallpaper polichy for my client machines, and assigned to the organization unit. And updated the group policy.But when i check in my client machine RSOP.MSC i cant able to see administrative template. And policy is not getting updated.Kindly do the needful to...
  6. In group policy Administrative template not getting updated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In group policy Administrative template not getting updated: I have created wallpaper polichy for my client machines, and assigned to the organization unit. And updated the group policy.But when i check in my client machine RSOP.MSC i cant able to see administrative template. And policy is not getting updated.Kindly do the needful to...
  7. In group policy Administrative template not getting updated

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Administrative Templates folder missing in Local Group Policy Editor.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Administrative Templates folder missing in Local Group Policy Editor.: Whenever I run gpedit.msc there is no Administrative Templates folder, instead there is a strange folder with no name with a bunch of broken folders on. Please help. https://reddit.com/link/h8ajv6/video/h8xxi4x8ep451/player submitted by /u/Pippin_42 [link] [comments]...
  9. Local group policy windows settings and administrative templates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local group policy windows settings and administrative templates: When I check local group policy editor, there are user and computer configurations. There are also software settings, windows settings, and administrative templates. My questions : What are the difference between windows settings and administrative templates ? Why...
  10. Local group policy windows settings and administrative templates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local group policy windows settings and administrative templates: When I check local group policy editor, there are user and computer configurations. There are also software settings, windows settings, and administrative templates. My questions : What are the difference between windows settings and administrative templates ? Why...