Windows 10: How to update my Wi-Fi router's geolocation data in Microsoft's database?

Discus and support How to update my Wi-Fi router's geolocation data in Microsoft's database? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've moved back to Taiwan from Hong Kong for over a month, but Windows still thinks that I'm in Hong Kong. I know this is determined based on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ewjy, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ewjy Win User

How to update my Wi-Fi router's geolocation data in Microsoft's database?

I've moved back to Taiwan from Hong Kong for over a month, but Windows still thinks that I'm in Hong Kong. I know this is determined based on my router's reported geolocation in some providers' databases.

Updating it with Google was easy, I opened Google Maps and placed my Android phone near my room's window frequently for a few days, and the problem was fixed -- now Chrome is able to show the accurate location of my Wi-Fi router. However, this method seems not applicable to Microsoft. No matter trying to update it with the map app on my Lumia 640 or HERE WeGo on my Android phone, Windows still tells that my router is in Hong Kong, instead of Taiwan. And unfortunately, seems my neighbors don't need Wi-Fi, there are almost no other Wi-Fi devices near my home, making my laptop can only determine my location based on my own Wi-Fi router.

I've searched for this problem on the web many times and waited for weeks, hoping that one day it'll fix, but still doesn't work. Can anyone tell me how to update my Wi-Fi router's geolocation data stored in Microsoft's database?

:)

2. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Aug 24, 2019
  3. Windows 10 upgrade killed my Wi-fi access to my router

Hi Malya,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

The issue may occur if the drivers for Wi-fi are not installed or updated. I suggest you to install/update the latest version for Wi-fi drivers by following the steps below.

• Press ‘windows key + R’ and type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter.
    • Expand ‘Network adapter’ and right click on Wi-fi driver and select update.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 24, 2019
  4. How to update my Wi-Fi router's geolocation data in Microsoft's database?

Wi-fi router

I'm using the wi-fi router to connect my PC to the internet, if three or four persons using the same wi-fi router at the same time, will it affect the download speed if I download a movie?

Sebastiankennethtan, Aug 24, 2019
Thema:

How to update my Wi-Fi router's geolocation data in Microsoft's database?

1. How to update my Wi-Fi router's geolocation data in Microsoft's database? - Similar Threads - update router's geolocation

2. Wi-Fi randomly disconecting / Issues with BGW320 router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi randomly disconecting / Issues with BGW320 router: I recently switched Internet providers from Comcast cable to AT&T fiber. While I've been getting faster speeds I've also begun experiencing a new issue. Once or twice per day my PC will randomly lose Internet connection for a minute or so. Within the span of this minute I...
  3. Wi Fi Extender Paired to Router Correctly

Wi Fi Extender Paired to Router Correctly: OPS Windows 10. My Wi Fi Router model name is WR7010 v2 and the MAC address is XXXXXXXXXC8B. My Wi Fi Extender name is WR7010-2.4G-C8B_EXT. I paired them with WPS. Are they paired correctly? They are both appearing on the Wi Fi Analyzer. Thank you for the support! 159678
  4. Wi Fi Extender Paired to Router Correctly

in Windows 10 Support
    Wi Fi Extender Paired to Router Correctly: OPS Windows 10. My Wi Fi Router model name is WR7010 v2 and the MAC address is XXXXXXXXXC8B. My Wi Fi Extender name is WR7010-2.4G-C8B_EXT. I paired them with WPS. Are they paired correctly? They are both appearing on the Wi Fi Analyzer. Thank you for the support! 159678
  5. WI-FI Router's ReadyShare Connection vanished after Windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WI-FI Router's ReadyShare Connection vanished after Windows update: Once my PC updated, I cannot view the WI-FI Router's ReadyShare connection listed in the "Computer Section", I mean "Network" and the Networked Devices connected to my Laptop...
  6. How to change Wi-Fi Router Name and Password

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Wi-Fi Router Name and Password: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Wi-Fi is undoubtedly a great way to keep connected to the internet where ever we go. Today we are all able to interface multiple devices to the internet via the same network without any wires. All thanks to the Wi-Fi [...] This post How to change Wi-Fi...
  7. Sky router and wi fi problems.

Sky router and wi fi problems.: I recently changed my graphics from an AD Radeon to an Nvidea Geoforce graphics card and I have since not been able to connect my pc to the Internet. I run my sky router by lead direct from my pc but it doesn't want to connect. It is most frustrating, as the wifi is working...
  8. No Wi-Fi through router but other Wi-Fi devices work

No Wi-Fi through router but other Wi-Fi devices work: Hi folks! As the title suggests, and I'm sure my post count will confirm, this is my first post on the forums here. I'm having issues after an OS recovery with one of my Windows 10 machines. When I attempt to connect to my wireless router, it shows "Connected, Secured" but...
  9. New TalkTalk router, wi fi printer not working

New TalkTalk router, wi fi printer not working: Since I got a new TalkTalk Router my HP deskjet 3520 printer not working. Readout says IP not connected, SSID N/A. Internet connection to computer is fine and I've restarted everything but no joy. Realtek wi fi adapter also reading IPv6 connectivity - no network access, any...
  10. Wi-fi disconnects regulary, router is gone for everybody

Wi-fi disconnects regulary, router is gone for everybody: In my bar we have free Wi-Fi, I use it myself on my laptop (windows 10.1) Quite often the Wi-Fi disconnects but nobody sees the router anymore. So everybody loses their connection. It's like my laptop can shut down the router for a while. After a minute or 2 it's visible...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. update modems geolocation