Windows 10: How to update windows etc on a headless machine.

Discus and support How to update windows etc on a headless machine. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi I am wanting to run a headless media server with windows 10 as that is what I am comfortable with. I have a few questions about "maintaining" a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ydnaclluks, Nov 30, 2020.

1. How to update windows etc on a headless machine.

Hi I am wanting to run a headless media server with windows 10 as that is what I am comfortable with.

I have a few questions about "maintaining" a windows server without keyboard/mouse/monitor (after initial setup):

• I want to be able to connect to my machine and control it as if it were my own (this will all be done locally by the way, I will be in 1 room and my headless server will be in another).
    • I want to be able to maintain a shared folder over both my pc and the headless server so that I can add/delete/share files between the two computers.

I am assuming there is a good/secure way to do this using windows probably remote connection tool or something, any suggestions would be good.

My biggest concern is how do I handle restarts, updates, and when the machine is powered off?

If the machine is headless and for some reason it needs to restart (for example an update etc) then until I sign in it will no longer be able to be controlled from another room on my pc correct?

This would mean I need to get the keyboard/mouse/monitor out to sign in allow the connection and then I can resume control from my other pc, this is a huge pain so wondering if there is any way to combat this?

Can someone help me please?

submitted by /u/ydnaclluks
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ydnaclluks, Nov 30, 2020
  2. Keith-36 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade from an activated windows 8.1 headless pc

Help please.

I really want to step up to windows 10 on a headless pc that I use as a home server running an the latest existing activated version of windows 8.1.

'Windows update' on the headless pc keep prompting me to do this but I have been unable to find a solution.

I am eligible for a free upgrade of the existing windows 8.1 OS installed on the PC but this option runs out soon !!

Can anyone advise me how to do this type of upgrade?

Regards

Keith

Keith-36, Nov 30, 2020
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Nov 30, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

How to update windows etc on a headless machine.

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

How to update windows etc on a headless machine.

1. How to update windows etc on a headless machine. - Similar Threads - update etc headless

2. Updates, etc..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates, etc..: Windows Update always breaks my computer. It changes audio settings, video settings, and renders some of my applications some costing over $2,500.00!, to fail until I reinstall Windows 10 back to the factory version. This persists in every aspect for me, and for most of my...
  3. Updates, etc..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates, etc..: Windows Update always breaks my computer. It changes audio settings, video settings, and renders some of my applications some costing over $2,500.00!, to fail until I reinstall Windows 10 back to the factory version. This persists in every aspect for me, and for most of my...
  4. OpenGL app crashes on headless system after Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OpenGL app crashes on headless system after Windows update: I have an OpenGL application that worked without any problems as Windows service launched under SYSTEM on a headless server. OS: Windows 10 Pro, Card: NVIDIA GTX 2080. But after update of Windows 8th September update the same application crashes when I try to work with OpenGL...
  5. Virtual Machines, VPN, malware, security etc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machines, VPN, malware, security etc: Hi, I'm just reading about virtual machines and think it can be very useful for web browsers who may choose to frequent the less...salbrious areas of the world wide web. What i wanted to know is it a fool proof way of protecting your host system from rogue applications ?...
  6. ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM: Hi folks. Nothing wrong in virtualising servers these days. anybody tried this one yet on a VM -- looks quite good for things like NAS servers --small and very fast. You just run it from a webui so it works 100% headless - normally that's what you want a NAS server to...
  7. How to check/change resolution of headless pc /4k fit headless dongle

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to check/change resolution of headless pc /4k fit headless dongle: Folks, I have win 10 pro on a headless pc that has evga 1080ti that I pretty much use as a media server. When I rdp into it from my win 7 pro I cannot see any details of the monitor or change any resolution of the win 10 machine. Under display options there's a message that...
  8. RDP to Headless Media Server

RDP to Headless Media Server: Not sure which area of the forum to post this, and thought the networking was probably the most relevant. I've built a home media server using a little AMD 5350 on a mini ITX board. I installed Windows 10 on it this week as I couldn't get my head around Linux at all....
  9. NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc

NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc: Hi there I know loads of people here use NAS boxes one way or another. I'm torn between getting a standard NAS box or using a home build Linux headless server for similar --using Linux LVM makes creating Logical data spaces out of multiple physical HDD's a doddle. NAS...
  10. Installing OneDrive etc on a new machine

in Windows 10 Support
    Installing OneDrive etc on a new machine: Considering a new Lenovo Yogo laptop. Here is my question. *I have a HP desktop with Windows 7. The Lenovo would replace it. I have Picasa on it (for photos, from Google)…as well as Google Drive, and OneDrive, and Dropbox. *Picasa displays all the various folders I have...