Windows 10: How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10?

Discus and support How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to upgrade the motherboard and CPU of my computer, which runs Windows 10. However, I would prefer to avoid reinstalling the operating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by geofurb, Aug 31, 2019.

1. geofurb Win User

How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10?

I would like to upgrade the motherboard and CPU of my computer, which runs Windows 10. However, I would prefer to avoid reinstalling the operating system. The OS is installed to an M.2 NVMe drive on an AM3+ socket motherboard, and I will be upgrading to an AM4 socket motherboard.

• Is there any procedure I have to perform to prepare the computer for the new motherboard? Should I uninstall any drivers or motherboard-specific software in advance?
    • How do I ensure that my license key is accepted by the new board? I made a digital purchase of Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft store for this computer, and want to make sure the license transfers to the new board when I upgrade.
    • Are there any caveats to the process, things I should watch out for, or possible performance issues that may be caused by old configuration files or leftover drivers?

All help is greatly appreciated.

:)

geofurb, Aug 31, 2019
  2. Haegely Win User

Upgrading Motherboard and CPU

I bought a default Lenovo K450 a few years back that came with Windows 8 preinstalled. Well over the past few months I've upgraded the PSU, GPU, and moved too an SSD without much of a hassle since I was using the same motherboard and CPU. Well, I'm moving
    too a whole new upgrade and changing the case, motherboard, CPU, and adding a network card. My question is, once I've changed out all of the parts, will I need to reinstall Windows 8, or can I just install Windows 10 again like normal and follow the steps
    with customer support to establish the legitimacy of my previous Windows OS? I have the OEM and Product Key.

Haegely, Aug 31, 2019
  3. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Aug 31, 2019
  4. deadend Win User

Upgrading cpu and mother without reinstalling windows 10

did it with a b250 motherboard upgrading to z270, did not need to reinstall anything, windows was still activated
    did it with the z270 into z370 and lost windows activation, however did not have to reinstall any drivers, windows handled everything

i don't recommend doing it by going from amd > intel

deadend, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

1. How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10? - Similar Threads - upgrade motherboard CPU

2. Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello guys,so i just ordered a new motherboard and CPU, but a friend of mine said I maybe need to reinstall windows if neededso my question was do I need to reinstall windows and do I need to backup my PC, what do I need to do if I need to reinstall windows?I'm upgrading from...
  3. Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello guys,so i just ordered a new motherboard and CPU, but a friend of mine said I maybe need to reinstall windows if neededso my question was do I need to reinstall windows and do I need to backup my PC, what do I need to do if I need to reinstall windows?I'm upgrading from...
  4. Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10: Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a hard drive are in working condition, so I wish to only replace the motherboard. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD. My...
  6. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10: Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a hard drive are in working condition, so I wish to only replace the motherboard. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD. My...
  7. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

8. upgrading motherboard and cpu

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrading motherboard and cpu: Hi, I have a question regarding upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I currently have an off the shelf gaming PC purchased a few years ago. I am looking to replace my asrock B-360M andi5-9400F with newly purchased Asus Prime Z390-A and I9 9900k. My question is in regard to the...
  9. Upgrading motherboard and CPU windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading motherboard and CPU windows 10: I have installed Windows Ten on older PC with both new and used drives, all is well but I want to upgrade the motherboard , CPU and RAM and don't want to loose my OEM license...
  10. Windows 10 CPU/Motherboard upgrade

Windows 10 CPU/Motherboard upgrade: I am planning to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard + RAM type ddr3 > ddr4. i have linked my digital license to my Microsoft account. I'm wondering if my PC will boot into Windows and if there is any additional activation or re-installation i must do....