Windows 10: how to upgrade to windows 10 from an ISO

Discus and support how to upgrade to windows 10 from an ISO in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i cannot somehow use windows media tool to upgrade to windows10. So i download an iso from another computer, i want to keep all the data and apps. Do i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by chrunos, Aug 4, 2015.

1. chrunos Win User

how to upgrade to windows 10 from an ISO

i cannot somehow use windows media tool to upgrade to windows10. So i download an iso from another computer, i want to keep all the data and apps. Do i just write the iso to an usb drive,and boot the usb drive to install? Can i do that with a usb drive? Or there is another simpler way?

:)

chrunos, Aug 4, 2015
  2. Regile Reb, Aug 4, 2015
  3. how to create an iso image from installed windows 10 v1709

My laptop is running on windows 10 v1709. i want to create iso image from installed windows os. But i didn't find any esd file.

Ajitgawade, Aug 4, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Extract the ISO to your local hard drive (Use a directory like Windows 10 Upgrade), and then run setup.exe. If you boot the USB drive you will be getting into clean install territory, which you do not want to do until you have successfully activated upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Step 5 (ISO) or 6 (USB) here

nigelmercier, Aug 4, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    If the OP is running 8.1, there's no need to extract the .iso. 8.1 will mount it directly.

With Win7, three choices: get a freeware third party utility to mount the .iso, extract it (the freeware 7zip works fine for that), or create bootable media (USB drive or DVD). With a bootable medium, do not boot from it to do the upgrade. Simply plug it in, run the installer from within the OS that you're upgrading.

Too much information, I suppose.

bobkn, Aug 4, 2015
  7. chrunos Win User
    Thank you guys. actually each of your answers can solve my problem. much appreciated.

chrunos, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. how to upgrade to windows 10 from an ISO - Similar Threads - upgrade ISO

2. About Upgrade to Windows 10 with an ISO file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About Upgrade to Windows 10 with an ISO file: I want to upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 with an ISO file. My question is that will my any data be deleted after the update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-upgrade-to-windows-10-with-an-iso-file/675827ac-077e-4b17-9585-5e7d70b6be43
  3. Win10 Ver 1511 - Unable to upgrade using ISO method

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 Ver 1511 - Unable to upgrade using ISO method: Guys I'm stuck with build 10240! I need 1511 so it can support my new GPU (GTX 1080) and even when I try to use the ISO, it will not let me keep my current settings, apps & files. It says I'm trying to install a different edition than I'm currently using. I've been on hold...
  4. No net access after Win 10 ISO file upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No net access after Win 10 ISO file upgrade: Hello, So I very finally managed to upgrade to Win 10 without any issues, yet in choosing to do updates later, I now find myself with the net driver not working (and a couple of other issues). So there was that yellow triangle over the net icon, and after troubleshooting...
  5. ISO Install - What does "restart the upgrade" mean?

ISO Install - What does "restart the upgrade" mean?: Thanks to some help I got here recently I am into the ISO install/upgrade procedure (from Win7). But now (during "collecting information") there is a large popup saying ... Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. I'm ok...
  6. Repair via In-Place Upgrade: getting the right Version and Build ISO?

Repair via In-Place Upgrade: getting the right Version and Build ISO?: Folks, I've decided to try a repair. It'll be an in-place repair, using this tutorial: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums The first step is to ensure my current build/version matches up with the ISO/USB build/version I'll be using....
  7. Windows 10 ISO, How Often Upgraded?

Windows 10 ISO, How Often Upgraded?: The thread title says it all. When was the last time that the downloadable Windows 10 ISO upgraded? 47683
  8. ISO for creator's upgrade including cumulative updates

ISO for creator's upgrade including cumulative updates: Is there any link to get an ISO that bundles the Cumulative updates with it? MSDN article seems to indicate it is available to those with MSDN subscriptions. 88922
  9. Installing using ISO upgrade to 10 from 7.1

Installing using ISO upgrade to 10 from 7.1: I want to go this route using the ISO from the media creation tool using a DVD disc..since I have heard that upgrading directly from Windows update can give poor results. I basically want to wipe all other files off my PC except for the original factory items. I...
  10. Cannot delete ISO file after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete ISO file after upgrading to Windows 10: Hiya....I mounted my windows 10 ISO file with Magic Disk to upgrade only to find out that Windows 10 does not support Magic Disk. I uninstalled the drive it was using in device manager but still does not allow me to delete it. Everytime I reboot the ISO shows as mounted...