Windows 10: How to use a security key to lock my PC?

Discus and support How to use a security key to lock my PC? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I own a Thetis security key which I've successfully registered on my PC but for some reason, I'm never prompted to insert it to unlock my laptop. What... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AbstractFellow, Oct 1, 2020.

1. How to use a security key to lock my PC?

I own a Thetis security key which I've successfully registered on my PC but for some reason, I'm never prompted to insert it to unlock my laptop. What do I have to do to fix this?

:)

AbstractFellow, Oct 1, 2020

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Oct 1, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    Aegis Secure Key 3.0 Announced with 480GB Capacity

Apricorn, the leading manufacturer of software-free, hardware-encrypted USB drives, added three new sizes to their already expansive Aegis Secure Key 3.0 line, raising the total number of capacity options to seven (8, 16, 30, 60, 120, 240, and 480 GB.) With last year's introduction of the 240GB Aegis Secure Key 3, Apricorn had already doubled the storage capacity of the nearest competitor. This year, Apricorn has again doubled down on that size advantage with their new 480GB Secure Key: roughly four times the competition's max size of 120GB. And with the falling cost of flash storage, these larger capacity, super secure hardware-encrypted flash keys have rapidly become the ideal tool for corporate data security deployment.

"This is our most advanced product to date; besides packing half a terabyte of encrypted data into a thumbdrive, we have expanded its feature set to surpass any rival," says Mike McCandless, Apricorn's VP of Sales and Marketing. "And keeping true to the Apricorn tradition, The ASK 3.0 is completely software-free, cross-platform compatible with any OS, and has embedded authentication so no security parameters are ever shared with the host."

How to use a security key to lock my PC? 114b_thm.jpg

How to use a security key to lock my PC? 114a_thm.jpg

Beyond the expansion in size range, the Secure Key 3.0 carries the highest portable device security validation that the NIST grants: FIPS 140-2 level 3, and boasts an impressive list of features that surpasses other flash keys in its class such as a separate admin and user mode, two read-only modes, forced enrollment, programmable brute-force defense, a lock-override mode, plus a host of additional features that permit the Secure Key 3.0 to adhere to most security policies.

"Now that our high-capacity Secure Keys have come down so much in price, CISOs are rethinking the role of encrypted thumb drives in their business. No longer are they limited to carrying and storing small amounts of data. Now you've got secure, affordable flash storage capacities ranging up to nearly half a terabyte, USB 3.0 and flash transfer speeds, plus a laundry list of advanced security features; yet we're still only talking about a device that is about the size of a pack of gum."

Features
    • FIPS 140-2 level 3 validated; IP58 Certified
    • Embedded Keypad for host-free authentication
    • Auto-Lock Feature - Automatically locks after a predetermined period of inactivity
    • Drive Reset Feature - Allows for redeployment after wiping drive's data
    • Lock Override - Permits the drive to remain unlocked during port re-enumeration
    • Programmable Brute Force Protection - Sets the number of brute force attempts allowed, up to 20
    • Self-Destruct Feature - Designate a Self-Destruct PIN to wipe and reset the device
    • Tamper resistant / evident design
    • 3-Year Limited Warranty
    Starting at $99, Apricorn's Aegis Secure Key 3.0 is available in 8GB, 16GB, 30GB, 60GB, 120GB, 240GB, 480GB from most online retailers.

btarunr, Oct 1, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

How to use a security key to lock my PC?

Windows Security within Outlook on PC

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply with the following details to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps:

• What is the make and model of the computer? If you are using a Desktop, please help us with the make and model of the keyboard.
    • Have you enabled PIN to sign in to the computer? If yes, are you facing any issues with PIN sign in?

In the meantime, you can follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

I suggest you to check if the NUM lock key is on or not. If not, please press it to turn on NUM lock and try entering the PIN.

Method 1: Using On-Screen keyboard.

You can try using the On-Screen keyboard and see if the issue persists. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type osk and click on OK.
    3. Once opened, please use it to type the PIN.

Method 2: Disable PIN.

I suggest you to disable PIN set up and then check if the issue persists. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Account.
    3. Click on Sign-in options.
    4. Under PIN, click on Remove.
    5. Enter the password to confirm that you want to remove the
      PIN.

We await your response.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

How to use a security key to lock my PC?

1. How to use a security key to lock my PC? - Similar Threads - security key lock

2. How do I use my android phone as a security key for my windows eleven pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I use my android phone as a security key for my windows eleven pc?: How do I use my android phone as a security key for my windows pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-use-my-android-phone-as-a-security-key/52a858d6-f3cb-41af-add0-01607c6a486c
  3. How do I use my android phone as a security key for my windows eleven pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I use my android phone as a security key for my windows eleven pc?: How do I use my android phone as a security key for my windows pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-use-my-android-phone-as-a-security-key/52a858d6-f3cb-41af-add0-01607c6a486c
  4. how to sign in with security key ?

how to sign in with security key ?: how to sign in with security key and how to sign in, in windows hello? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sign-in-with-security-key/93dcd46f-42b4-4569-9f16-b0fc63852a00
  5. Updated security info locked my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updated security info locked my pc: I just updated my security info for my new phone and now my pc has locked saying I need to wait 30 days for the security to update. I have no other accounts on this pc and so now it's fully locked to me. Is there anyway to make a non admin account or similar to allow me to...
  6. Updated security info locked my pc

Updated security info locked my pc: I just updated my security info for my new phone and now my pc has locked saying I need to wait 30 days for the security to update. I have no other accounts on this pc and so now it's fully locked to me. Is there anyway to make a non admin account or similar to allow me to...
  7. How to remove lock screen for someone to use my pc?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove lock screen for someone to use my pc?: Hello, i activated a lock screen for my pc a few days ago, but now i wanted to remove it and i can't seem to find a way how, I've been trying the tutorials on the internet and it just brings me everywhere and no clue at all, any help?...
  8. How can I get a function key lock for my pc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I get a function key lock for my pc?: I can't seem to find a straight answer to this, so I guess I'll ask. My keyboard has the volume and some other keys on the function keys, but the default use is the function keys. Is there a way to make it so I can lock the function key so I don't have to hit function to...
  9. how to secure my windows10 product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to secure my windows10 product key: how to secure my windows10 product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-secure-my-windows10-product-key/50876779-0618-400f-9275-0183199eccdd"
  10. Security: How to Make My PC More Secure?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security: How to Make My PC More Secure?: I want to make my Windows 10 Pro PC more secure from something like a robbery or where my physical PC is in danger, not from a threat like a hacker or something on the internet who gains access to my PC. As I was using my PC, I just realized that I store so much personal...