Windows 10: How to use a usb drive during a remote desktop session?

Discus and support How to use a usb drive during a remote desktop session? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; To make it short I was wondering if it's possible to remote connect to a desktop on my laptop, and then plug my usb in and be able to access the files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Qudao, Oct 9, 2020.

1. /u/Qudao Win User

How to use a usb drive during a remote desktop session?

To make it short I was wondering if it's possible to remote connect to a desktop on my laptop, and then plug my usb in and be able to access the files on it in the remote session.

I searched around but none of it makes much sense since this is my first time really using it since I'll be at home for school soon.

submitted by /u/Qudao
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Qudao, Oct 9, 2020

2. Remote Desktop - Screen resolution in remote session

I have connected to a remote desktop session and the windows in the remote session are all too small for me to see.

I have edited the remote desktop connection settings and cannot seem to make anything larger.

I am using a new Dell Inspiron Laptop which has a very high screen resolution 3840 x 2160

Any suggestions appreciated

Thank you

GreenlaneAC, Oct 9, 2020
  3. AaronBre Win User
    How do I enable a USB device in Remote Desktop?

On my desktop PC I have a USB CD-ROM drive connected.

When I use remote desktop from my laptop to connect to my desktop PC while the USB drive shows up in Explorer in the desktop session it does not function. Windows Media player or other audio apps with run in the desktop session to not recognize the drive.

Of course everything works fine on the desktop PC when used locally. Is there a setting to change on the desktop pc to enable USB devices to be visible when the desktop pc is being used via Remote Desktop?

AaronBre, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Remote desktop connection freezes while using any other window

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the remote desktop session freezes when the session is in idle mode. Couple of our users were able to fix the issue by disabling the audio that comes from the Remote session. I suggest you to try disabling the audio for the remote
    desktop and check if that helps in resolving the issue. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold Windows key + R, to open
      Run box.
    2. Type mstsc and click on OK.
    3. Now, click con Show Options.
    4. Click on Local Resources.
    5. Click on Settings.
    6. Click on Do not play.
    7. Click on OK and try using the Remote connection now.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to post your query in TechNet forums,
    where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Remote Desktop connection.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

1. How to use a usb drive during a remote desktop session? - Similar Threads - usb drive during

2. Use host GPU in Remote Desktop Session

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use host GPU in Remote Desktop Session: As mentioned in this thread, I have the same problem. How do I force my VGA on my host computer running Windows 11 Pro! I don't want to waste my VGA when working with my host PC on RDP remote desktop. The old thread below is not useful....
  3. Use host GPU in Remote Desktop Session

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use host GPU in Remote Desktop Session: As mentioned in this thread, I have the same problem. How do I force my VGA on my host computer running Windows 11 Pro! I don't want to waste my VGA when working with my host PC on RDP remote desktop. The old thread below is not useful....
  4. Remote desktop session disconnections

Remote desktop session disconnections: Hello to all.I have a problem with one of users of my RDS server.Client is Windows 10, server is Windows Server 2016Client works via openvpn connection At start of a work, he has multiple cases of remote desktop session disconnections mostly at first 1-2 hour of working,...
  5. Remote desktop session disconnections

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote desktop session disconnections: Hello to all.I have a problem with one of users of my RDS server.Client is Windows 10, server is Windows Server 2016Client works via openvpn connection At start of a work, he has multiple cases of remote desktop session disconnections mostly at first 1-2 hour of working,...
  6. Use host GPU in Remote Desktop Session

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use host GPU in Remote Desktop Session: Hello all,I'm trying to get my host computer, Windows 10, to use the GPU graphics card 3060Ti during a remote desktop session from my Windows 11 laptop.I did some searching around and every post/article I found pointed me towards a local group policy change.The instructions...
  7. Use host GPU in Remote Desktop Session

Use host GPU in Remote Desktop Session: Hello all,I'm trying to get my host computer, Windows 10, to use the GPU graphics card 3060Ti during a remote desktop session from my Windows 11 laptop.I did some searching around and every post/article I found pointed me towards a local group policy change.The instructions...
  8. How to use multitouch in remote desktop session?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to use multitouch in remote desktop session?: Hi folks, When I use RDP from my laptop, three-finger touches attempt to change the display topology via the Project settings instead of sending a middle-click. It drives me nuts, since middle-click is something I need to constantly use while changing projector /...
  9. Using GPU during Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using GPU during Remote Desktop: Hear me out. Is anyone here using remote desktop onto a pc with the ability to use the installed graphics card instead of the standard "Microsoft Remote Display Adapter"? Awhile ago, I was able to remote desktop into my PC and was able to use the installed graphics...
  10. Remote Desktop - Device lock screen during session

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop - Device lock screen during session: Hi All, I've just recently started using Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop When I remote to another device, say a PC. This causes the PC to automatically go to the lock screen. This seems to be default. I can still remotely access the PC, everything is fine except the person...