Windows 10: How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11

Discus and support How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has added support for Passkeys in Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23486. You can use it for a passwordless sign-in experience across apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 23, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11

Microsoft has added support for Passkeys in Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23486. You can use it for a passwordless sign-in experience across apps and websites.

This website lists various services that currently support the protocol. Not all browsers support Passkeys, we will use Gmail and Microsoft Edge in the tutorial below. You will also need to install the Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23486 (or later) that is available for Dev Channel users.

How to create a Passkey in Windows 11

1. Open your desktop web browser and go to a website that supports Passkeys. e.g. Gmail.

2. Sign in to your account using your password.

3. Head to your account settings, and enable sign in via Passkey. Refer to our guide to learn how to create a Passkey for your Google account.

4. The website will use your Windows Hello credentials for creating the Passkey. This can be your PIN, or biometric options such as your fingerprint ID, or your face (if you're using the camera to sign in).

Note: You can use Passkeys saved on your mobile phone too, when you use the QR code to sign in on your PC, the website will create a Passkey and save it on your computer.

How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11 create-a-passkey-in-windows-11.jpg

The Passkey that was created is stored securely on your computer, and is available across browsers in Windows 11. It is not transmitted to the website, and since a password is not involved in the authentication process, Passkeys are resistant to phishing attacks. Try signing out of your account, and log in again, this time use the Passkey option, to be precise you may have to select “Windows Hello or external security key”.

How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11 login-with-passkey-windows-11.jpg You will be able to log in to your account using Windows Hello by using your computer's fingerprint scanner, or webcam or by entering the PIN manually.

How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11 Managing-passkeys-for-accounts.jpg

I tested the created Passkeys in Edge and Chrome, they worked fine, but they did not work in Firefox which is odd, considering that the browser does support it in the Stable Channel of Windows 11. You may use the Passkeys in apps for online services too, providing that they support it.

What if you want to access the account on another device? For example, you may want to use your account to access your email inbox on your phone. That's quite simple, just login to the website on your desktop browser and create a new Passkey, this time select the "use another device" option, which will display a QR code that you can scan with your phone's camera. This process saves the Passkey on your mobile device, so you now have 2 keys, one on your phone and one on your PC. This may seem tedious, but since Passkeys aren't synchronized between devices or the server (Apple iCloud Keychain is an exception to this), this is the only way to store Passkeys on multiple devices. Speaking of which, iOS 17 will automatically create a passkey for your Apple ID on your iPhone, that's quite convenient.

I lost my device, what do I do to access my account? Don't panic, just sign in with your password normally, and you can remove the Passkey from the lost device remotely. Remember, Passkeys do not replace passwords, so don't worry about losing your account.

How to manage Passkeys in Windows 11

1. Open the Settings app.

2. Click on the Accounts tab in the sidebar.

How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11 How-to-manage-Passkeys-in-Windows-11.jpg

3. Select Passkey Settings.

How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11 access-passkeys-in-windows-11.jpg

This page lists the Passkeys that you have saved on your computer. You may use it to search for any Passkey. Currently, the only option that is available is to delete the saved keys. This may be useful if you want to share the computer with someone else.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 23, 2023
  2. Qfreed Win User

How to enter bluetooth device passkey into Windows 10

Trying to pair a bluetooth device (Kindle tablet) to my desktop PC. Bluetooth turned on in both devices. Tablet show my computer's name and provides a passkey that Windows 10 must use. When I go to Devices and Printers, Bluetooth...Windows will search for devices, list an unknown one, but I see nowhere to give it the passkey to use. I tried Add Device, but it only searches. Does not ask for passkey. Where do I enter passkey information for a bluetooth device into Windows 10?

Qfreed, Jun 23, 2023
  3. Brink Win User
    Google bringing passkey support to Android and Chrome

Source: https://android-developers.googleblo...nd-chrome.html

Brink, Jun 23, 2023
  4. Brink Win User

Passkeys for Google Accounts are now available

Source: https://blog.google/technology/safet...-the-password/

Brink, Jun 23, 2023
Thema:

1. How to use and manage Passkeys in Windows 11 - Similar Threads - manage Passkeys

2. Unable to end background processes in task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to end background processes in task manager: Unable to end background processes in task manager for Ubisoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-end-background-processes-in-task-manager/34b59149-19fb-4632-9175-90708fa3d210
  3. Unable to end background processes in task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to end background processes in task manager: Unable to end background processes in task manager for Ubisoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-end-background-processes-in-task-manager/34b59149-19fb-4632-9175-90708fa3d210
  4. Camera has gone from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Camera has gone from Device Manager: Hi, The camera won't work and is not in the Device Manager list. It used to work with no problems, I'm not sure what has happened.Any ideas ?Many thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-has-gone-from-device-manager/07d3efb5-02a4-4423-b0e4-23aae68f209c
  5. Camera has gone from Device Manager

Camera has gone from Device Manager: Hi, The camera won't work and is not in the Device Manager list. It used to work with no problems, I'm not sure what has happened.Any ideas ?Many thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-has-gone-from-device-manager/07d3efb5-02a4-4423-b0e4-23aae68f209c
  6. Windows 10 black screen with cursor, Task Manager access but no Windows key - before and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 black screen with cursor, Task Manager access but no Windows key - before and...: Very strange problem with a W10 PC. After boot and succesful pin code MS account login we get a black screen but with the mouse cursor visible only. There is no task bar and the windows key produces nothing on screen. CTR ALT DEL brings up a Task Manager window from which we...
  7. Windows 10 black screen with cursor, Task Manager access but no Windows key - before and...

Windows 10 black screen with cursor, Task Manager access but no Windows key - before and...: Very strange problem with a W10 PC. After boot and succesful pin code MS account login we get a black screen but with the mouse cursor visible only. There is no task bar and the windows key produces nothing on screen. CTR ALT DEL brings up a Task Manager window from which we...
  8. Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?: I have tried using FIDO Passkeys on Windows 10 and it works well for Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox. I was actually amazed because, Passkeys that were created on Chrome was available for use on Edge and Firefox and vice versa.I totally understand that backup...
  9. Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?: I have tried using FIDO Passkeys on Windows 10 and it works well for Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox. I was actually amazed because, Passkeys that were created on Chrome was available for use on Edge and Firefox and vice versa.I totally understand that backup...
  10. Where can I locate and manage FIDO PassKeys that I created with Windows Hello?