Windows 10: how to use cmd prompt to delete files and subdirs without harming dir

Discus and support how to use cmd prompt to delete files and subdirs without harming dir in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was able to use cmd to save all important files to external drives, thanks to advice from this forum. Now I want to delete files and subdirectories... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tspnyc, Jan 13, 2019.

1. tspnyc Win User

how to use cmd prompt to delete files and subdirs without harming dir

I was able to use cmd to save all important files to external drives, thanks to advice from this forum.

Now I want to delete files and subdirectories from default folders like Pictures, Documents, et al, but not the main folder or hidden or system files. Just the stuff I put in there.

I want to see if freeing up a full harddrive has any affect on the PC's current issue of notloading Windows.

When I look online I find various people posting very complicated synatx, but it is all about deleting directories, not protecdting their integrity while deleting the contents.

Thanks.

:)

tspnyc, Jan 13, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

You would have to move your Page File to a different drive to get rid of that file, however you can make is smaller by adjusting the size in Windows.

To get rid of Hyberfile.sys you need to disable hibernation by doing the following:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
    • Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window
    Then you can delete the hyberfile.sys file.

newtekie1, Jan 13, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Dir cmd arguments not working

Hi Mike, the Dir command will work in Powershell, but it will not work with the w switch in powershell, that switch will only work in Command Prompt

Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

In the application the dir /w command will work . . .

DaveM121, Jan 13, 2019
  4. LAPIII Win User

How can I make a list of filenames in File Explorer via command prompt?

These are the steps I take in:

1. open the folder that I want to print the filenames of
    2. In the location bar, typed "cmd"
    3. At the command prompt, I typed "dir > vjoy.txt
    The command prompt read Access is denied.

LAPIII, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

1. how to use cmd prompt to delete files and subdirs without harming dir - Similar Threads - cmd prompt delete

2. How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.: Hello Experts.I wish to delete a certificate from the "Personal" folder using a CMD prompt. I am unable to delete this in the normal easy way as bizarrely I do not have the delete option when I select the problematic certificate. I have seen this question answered a couple of...
  3. How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.: Hello Experts.I wish to delete a certificate from the "Personal" folder using a CMD prompt. I am unable to delete this in the normal easy way as bizarrely I do not have the delete option when I select the problematic certificate. I have seen this question answered a couple of...
  4. How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Regarding to decrypt files using cmd prompt....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regarding to decrypt files using cmd prompt....: Hi everyone, am Gugan S. Here i have a problem, one month ago i encrypted my files using cmd prompt on windows 7. After that encryption i changed my OS into windows 8, on that time, i dont know we have to decrypt the files before changing OS. It shows i dont have an access...
  6. Regarding to decrypt files using cmd prompt....

Regarding to decrypt files using cmd prompt....: Hi everyone, am Gugan S. Here i have a problem, one month ago i encrypted my files using cmd prompt on windows 7. After that encryption i changed my OS into windows 8, on that time, i dont know we have to decrypt the files before changing OS. It shows i dont have an access...
  7. Regarding to decrypt files using cmd prompt....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regarding to decrypt files using cmd prompt....: Hi everyone, I have a problem on windows. One month ago, i encrypted my files using cmd prompt, but i forgottenly changed my OS into windows 8. Previously i have a windows 7 OS. I dont know we have to decrypt the files before changing the OS. But right now my files are...
  8. Regarding to decrypt files using cmd prompt....

Regarding to decrypt files using cmd prompt....: Hi everyone, I have a problem on windows. One month ago, i encrypted my files using cmd prompt, but i forgottenly changed my OS into windows 8. Previously i have a windows 7 OS. I dont know we have to decrypt the files before changing the OS. But right now my files are...
  9. Delete files using cmd

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete files using cmd: Hello, I want to search and delete files, in a folder by file extension ie: all files with extension jpeg, in a folder and it's subfolders ie: D:\New Can someone please write me a script to do that? Regards 181303
  10. desktop files not visable when using DIR from the CMD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    desktop files not visable when using DIR from the CMD: When I use the CMD and try to use CD Desktop I get an error that the path is not specified. When I go to the c:/users/niels/desktop and use the CMD there are not files but the Desktop shows all my files. How can this be fixed?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cmd how to remove dir with subdirs

2. cmd win remove subdirs