Windows 10: How to use Diskpart

Discus and support How to use Diskpart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a problem with my laptop. When I turn it on, it goes directly (after a while) to Windows RE. I can't do any of the easy recoveries off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SteveJ6, Sep 9, 2018.

1. SteveJ6 Win User

How to use Diskpart

I have a problem with my laptop. When I turn it on, it goes directly (after a while) to Windows RE. I can't do any of the easy recoveries off the menu - says it couldn't be fixed.

I don't see any error messages on the screen.

I booted from a Windows 10 ISO on a USB stick. I can get to command line. I've run chkdsk against the drive and it fixed some errors, but nothing that helped the boot.

I've found many suggestions on the internet but can't seem to find a one-stop place. Trying to use bootexe with the /fixboot option gave me access denied.

It seems I need to use diskpart and then reload windows, but I'm having problems understanding what diskpart options to use. This is a photo of the disk detail:

Would you have any guidance on how to proceed? I've seen some things that need to be done on the System partition vs the Windows partition but I'm not clear from the photo what the System partition is. Also saw that I had to have an Active partition but this doesn't display that information.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

SteveJ6, Sep 9, 2018
  2. Cheriseru Win User

Faulty harddrives

Thanks for the suggestion but as I stated the drive doesn't show up in Disk management. I just tried the Diskpart steps and it's not listed on there either

Cheriseru, Sep 9, 2018
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Sep 9, 2018
  4. sportsfan148 Win User

How to use Diskpart

Diskpart problems?

Hi again, I tried what you suggested and got the same error message as before. I spoke to a guy on another forum and he suggested typing the "Active" command before doing the Format.
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <-replace # with the actual number for the USB flash drive
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32 quick
    He tried it on a Windows 7 PC with the Active command straight after format and he was told to select a partition again...but when selecting Active first before format it was fine.
    Im thinking that might be the case on my Windows 10 laptop too but instead of getting a reminder to select a partition I get an error. After the error message If I select a partition and Type Active everything is OK. It seems a bit strange I know!!

Can I ask you though. Is it OK to type the Active command before the Format command or should Active only be typed into Diskpart after the Format has been done?

sportsfan148, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

How to use Diskpart

1. How to use Diskpart - Similar Threads - Diskpart

2. Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into...: I have a series of drives plugged into my computer and I like them to mount as the same letters every time I reinstall my OS (for shortcut routing reasons and whatnot). I'd prefer not to set them in diskmgmt.msc every time. Do the assigned letters carry over to other...
  3. Disk management shows one less partition than diskpart and Macrium

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management shows one less partition than diskpart and Macrium: [img] [img] [img] Is this the new partition created by 1809 upgrade? 119305
  4. Re-installing windows- drives won't show up on diskpart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-installing windows- drives won't show up on diskpart: I have an ACER ASPIRE TC-220 , and my initial issue was that I kept getting the "Reboot and Select a proper boot device" screen. After which I decided to re-install my windows, however when I tried to do that my drives weren't showing up - as seen in image 1-. After...
  5. Missing disks dev man shows 4HDD's Diskpart and Windows only show 1

Missing disks dev man shows 4HDD's Diskpart and Windows only show 1: Hi folks I've 3 HDD's managed as a storage space and 1 HDD for Windows and a second partition D on it. Bios at start shows 4 HDD's, Device manager shows 4 internal HDD's, DISKPART only shows 1 , File manager only shows 1 , computer management shows 1 [img] [img]...
  6. Missing disks dev man shows 4HDD's Diskpart and Windows only show 1

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing disks dev man shows 4HDD's Diskpart and Windows only show 1: Hi folks I've 3 HDD's managed as a storage space and 1 HDD for Windows and a second partition D on it. Bios at start shows 4 HDD's, Device manager shows 4 internal HDD's, DISKPART only shows 1 , File manager only shows 1 , computer management shows 1 [img] [img]...
  7. Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't

Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't: Every now & then this HDD won't initialize but eventually works. It's 1.5Tb & so unreliable I don't put data on it anymore. I check periodically & it's been okay each time. Yesterday I needed to organize data so I used the drive & naturally today, it won't initialize! I don't...
  8. Some more feedback needed on Diskpart

Some more feedback needed on Diskpart: Hi all, I've recently done a clean Windows 10 installation using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive. I always look afterwards in Disk Management or Diskpart to see if the partitions are set up correctly. My clean installation method is always the same I delete all...
  9. A couple of Diskpart questions?

A couple of Diskpart questions?: Hi all, I have a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive that Ive created. I have a couple of questions that Im curious about. 1. If I select the USB flash drive in Diskpart and then type in Detail Disk. There is an option listed there..."Boot Disk" and in my case it says "No"....
  10. Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes: Hello everyone, I've come across a weird problem that I'd like to share with you: under certain circumstances, Diskpart and some other programs don't report the correct capacity of a hard disk. The disk in question is a new 4 TB, or 3.64 TiB (3762 GiB), Seagate BarraCuda,...