Windows 10: How to use either mouse button on lock screen?

Discus and support How to use either mouse button on lock screen? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi, I am using a Windows 10 machine with four active users. One of them is left handed, the others are not... Ever since I upgraded to Win10... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Jarod_42, May 29, 2019.

1. Jarod_42 Win User

How to use either mouse button on lock screen?

Hi,

I am using a Windows 10 machine with four active users. One of them is left handed, the others are not...

Ever since I upgraded to Win10 everybody on the machine finds her-/himself using the wrong mouse button at least once a day.

On Windows 7 both mouse buttons could be used interchangeably on the lock screen. In Windows 10 one mouse button does not "work". Which one, depends on the last user who locked the screen. Whenever a left handed person has used the machine, only the right mouse button can be used to click the icons or user names on the lock screen. The left button is working after a right handed person has used the computer before.

Why was it changed in Windows 10?

Is there a way to get the old behavior back, perhaps a registry key?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jarod

:)

Jarod_42, May 29, 2019
  2. shmu26 Win User

Switch mouse buttons -- also for lock screen

I switched mouse buttons to left-handed, I did this for all user accounts.
    But when I go to lock screen, it often behaves at default settings.
    How can I switch mouse buttons for the whole local machine, even lock screen?

shmu26, May 29, 2019
  3. NickJP Win User
    Use either mouse button at login screen

Thanks. The problem with the present mouse behaviour at the login screen is that it is inconsistent. If a left-handed user has been using the machine and left it logged in and locked, the mouse at the login screen is setup for a left-handed user, with the left mouse button not doing anything at all, which confuses a right-handed user who comes along and wants to log themselves in. Whereas if the machine has been freshly booted up or if a right-handed user has left the machine logged in and locked, then it's the right mouse button that doesn't do anything at the login screen.

NickJP, May 29, 2019
  4. How to use either mouse button on lock screen?

Keyboard and mouse unresponsive at lock screen

Hi Sean,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I understand your concern and would suggest you to try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Here is the steps:

• Press and hold the shift key while clicking on
      Restart
      at the login Screen (Bottom right corner) > Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Startup Settings>
      Restart >>Choose Enable Safe mode with networking.

If the mouse/keyboard works, then update the Mouse and keyboard driver. Here is the steps:

• Press Windows+X key on your desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the mouse drivers, expand, right click and click
      on Update.
    If it doesn’t help, then I would suggest you to
    uninstall and re-install the drivers in compatibility mode. Here is the steps:

• Go to your manufacturer’s website
      and download the Driver’s setup file for your computer.
    • Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Driver, expand, then right click and select
      Uninstall.
    • If you are prompted to Confirm then Confirm.
    • Go to the location where you had saved your downloaded setup files of the drivers and
      right click, then select Properties.
    • Select Compatibility Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    • Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.
    Keep us informed about the status of the issue and let us know if you need further assistance and we’ll be happy to help you.

Navneet Anand, May 29, 2019
Thema:

How to use either mouse button on lock screen?

1. How to use either mouse button on lock screen? - Similar Threads - either mouse button

2. Toggle on screen keyboard button on lock screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Toggle on screen keyboard button on lock screen: [ATTACH] Hi guys, like the image. I had this on screen keyboard on a windows 7 touch screen panel. And I need it to do the same on a windows 10 build. However going into the settings I only get a floating keyboard and it this one where it's integrated onto the screen...
  3. Lock screen loop on button press

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen loop on button press: One day I turned on a Windows 11 laptop and it was able to boot normally and display the lock screen.The problem is, in the lock screen when I press a button, it will not display the enter password prompt and instead loops back to the initial lock screen with the clock and...
  4. Lock screen loop on button press

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock screen loop on button press: One day I turned on a Windows 11 laptop and it was able to boot normally and display the lock screen.The problem is, in the lock screen when I press a button, it will not display the enter password prompt and instead loops back to the initial lock screen with the clock and...
  5. How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop?: When I click on my middle mouse button on an internet page, a "power scroll" icon comes up. I can drag my mouse up or down and it will follow, scrolling up or down the page without me having to manually scroll the middle mouse button. I have a Predator Helios 300 with...
  6. Using left mouse button and right touchpaper button as Main Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using left mouse button and right touchpaper button as Main Button: I'm right-handed and it seems logical to me to want to use the left-hand mouse button with my 1st Finger on my right hand AND the right-hand side of the touchpad with the same finger as the Main Button on both. However, my Surface Pro won't let me do that, I think........
  7. Shutdown Button in Lock Screen Not Working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Shutdown Button in Lock Screen Not Working: the Shutdown button in the Lock screen is not working. It was working fine but now when the screen is locked and I need to shut down the PC. It doesn't Shutdown even though i keep clicking on Shutdown. I have tried using the Cmd Commands powercfg.cpl and sfc /scannow But it...
  8. Shutdown using power button from lock screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown using power button from lock screen: My problem is that Windows will not shut the computer down when you press the power button (physical button on the computer, not the button on the log in screen) at the lock screen or log in screen. Is there a setting or registry I have to change to allow this to function...
  9. Switch mouse buttons -- also for lock screen

Switch mouse buttons -- also for lock screen: I switched mouse buttons to left-handed, I did this for all user accounts. But when I go to lock screen, it often behaves at default settings. How can I switch mouse buttons for the whole local machine, even lock screen? 106274
  10. Use either mouse button at login screen

Use either mouse button at login screen: With Windows 8.1 either mouse button could be used at the login screen to select a user account for login. In Windows 10 it seems that only the left mouse button can be used at the login screen. With kids, some of whom are left-handed and use the mouse left-handed, this is...