Windows 10: how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved]

Discus and support how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved] in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; To use a partition you must first turn on the sharing option on it. So click on your partition, go to property, on the sharing tab click on advanced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by chok, Jul 17, 2017.

1. chok Win User

how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved]

To use a partition you must first turn on the sharing option on it. So click on your partition, go to property, on the sharing tab click on advanced sharing. Share it with yourselves, or the other. Then run: filehistory, click on configure file history select your partition.

:)

2. HairyFool Win User

Making a hard drive usable

How are you using the drive at the moment? Have you configured anything to be stored on it and have you created any partitions?

File history will not define any drive as being suitable for backup tasks if it includes files on the same drive in the backup. Windows will also identify different partitions if on the same physical disk.

So a common scenario of C and D partitions on the same disk but File History will not allow you to select D as a destination to backup files on C.

HairyFool, Jul 17, 2017
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    Windows 10 - No usable drives found. Cannot backup

Just a thought. The File History On/Off Toggle Switch will be greyed out if the system can't find an available drive that can be used for File History Backups. So, is the external drive 'clean' of other content, or are you already using it for another purpose?
    To use File History, the Drive has to be dedicated to that sole purpose. You can, of course, partition large drives and use one of the partitions, by Drive Letter, as a File History Drive.

Erdeslawe, Jul 17, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

I'd never thought of sharing the whole partition *Smile although you can do this another way retaining the normal partition settings

You Create a folder on the standard partition in the normal way and call it 'File History'. Now right click the folder and set it to be a shared network location. Select 'home user/not publicly available'.

Now when you enter the file history screen all you need do is hover (or click) over 'Desktop' and the shared folder should be showing as available to use. If needed, copy the file path of the folder into the initial setting up screen of file history.

how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved] [​IMG]

how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved] [​IMG]

Mooly, Jul 19, 2017
  5. chok Win User
    how to use file history in a folder stored anywhere

• just create a folder where you want you file history to be (in a partition or in your C*Smile.
    • Enable sharing (right click, property)
    • the "network path" will appear (ex: \\ME-PC\windows File History). Copy it.
    • Run "filehistory"
    • select drive / add network location
    • in the field 'folder' past your network path.

6. Bree New Member
    This of course works - File History can point to any shared folder on the network, even one on the same physical drive. It does however reduce the protection afforded by File History. You will loose your File History in the event of a drive failure - just when you need it the most.

I have mine pointing to a shared folder on another drive. It's an external HDD plugged into the USB socket on the back of my router, effectively a cheap and cheerful alternative to a NAS.

7. lx07 Win User
    Indeed. In addition when your backup drive is disconnected it saves versions to
    %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Data and this is flushed automatically to backup drive when it is connected. In case of disk failure File History is only good up until the last time backup drive was connected.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved] - Similar Threads - file history partition

2. How to merge partitions of the same SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to merge partitions of the same SSD drive: Hello there,I wanted to merge my C and D drive, which are the same SSD, but the Store I bought it from, they've split it into 2 parts.I need them into 1 drive, as all my things are here and there, and it's confusing. I'm running Windows 11, if that makes a difference in the...
  3. How to use file history?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to use file history?: My disk space has been full recently and I have decided to move my files to an external hard drive. Now my old way was to manually drag the documents to it and delete the old ones. But now I have heard about file history and I would like to know more about it, I already...
  4. Can Ready Boost and File History coexist on the same drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Ready Boost and File History coexist on the same drive: Hi, Is it possible to have Ready Boost and File History on the same drive for Windows 10? For example if there is a USB Flash drive or a SD Card or MicroSD Card having capacity of 64 GB or higher then can we put Ready Boost and File History on the same drive? Has anybody...
  5. How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to increase or move the system partition to another partition in the same drive?: Years ago, I bought a second hand PC with a small HDD. I formatted it and set a small 60gb as drive Cto install windows. I got a bigger HDD recently and clone the old HDD to the new one. Now I realize that 60GB is too damn small for Windows. The HDD has two partition, C and...
  6. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?: I use the external drive for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site. Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History...
  7. OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive?: We are considering creating two backups of each of our two computers. We have two external hard drives, but we're not sure if we need four! Will File History create backups for two different computers on the same external hard drive?...
  8. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...
  9. Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History?: I am trying to enable File History in WIndows 10, but "No usable drive was found" error is given. I have partitioned my main hard drive to have another virtual drive (Y:) to maintain copies of files as backups. I want to use this separate partition on my main hard drive as...
  10. Moving paging file to seperate partition on same drive ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Moving paging file to seperate partition on same drive ?: I was wondering if there would be an advantage to moving the paging file to a separate partition on the same SSD keeping all the software on the "C" Drive & games on "E" Drive. Or Would this only work if I used another SSD of 30gb size ? I am wondering this through...