Windows 10: How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop?

Discus and support How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I click on my middle mouse button on an internet page, a "power scroll" icon comes up. I can drag my mouse up or down and it will follow,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by usmdesigner, Mar 5, 2021.

1. How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop?

When I click on my middle mouse button on an internet page, a "power scroll" icon comes up. I can drag my mouse up or down and it will follow, scrolling up or down the page without me having to manually scroll the middle mouse button.

I have a Predator Helios 300 with Windows 10 and don't always have a Mouse with me.

I've googled and it shows to go to Settings > Device > Taps > Middle Mouse button.

Either it doesn't work or I'm not doing it right?

When I setup the "tap" for middle mouse and use my laptop mouse pad, then I tap the area, nothing happens. I also tried tapping and holding, still nothing.

What am I supposed to do to get the "power scrolling" icon to appear if I have my mouse disconnected?

:)

usmdesigner, Mar 5, 2021

2. X-windows middle-mouse button using touchpad on Windows 10

Cygwin is the only unix environment of which I know that works on top of Windows. I am getting frequent reminders to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It doesn't make sense to migrate my 2011 laptop with stuck keys to Windows 10, so I've been investigating current day laptops. I haven't bought one yet, but have messed around with display models at stores.

In Windows 10, one can specify that a 3-finger tap as representing the tap of the middle mouse button. Unfortunately, it is only a tap, and not a click-and-hold. X-windows requires the emulation of all possible uses of the middle button: Tap, click-and-hold, either of those two in conjunction with Shift and/or Control, and either one of the preceding modes in conjuction with a drag. For example, xterm customization menus require some of these.

In Windows 7, I achieve this by mapping the left physical button to the desired middle button. I don't need the physical left button to behave as a left button because left button functionality can be emulated with touch pad taps and drags by enabling the following Synaptics's switches:

• Tap again and hold to drag
    • Locking Drags

Other limitations:

• I avoid carrying extra accessories like a mouse because without a doubt, I will not have it when I need it
    • Many laptops don't have explicit buttons, but allow lower left/right corners to be clicked. This prevents the emulation of middle button by clicking both left and right, which isn't a good option anyway because (I'm guessing that) it also doesn't allow for simultaneous drag.

Questions

• How have other Cygwin users obtained middle mouse button functionality in Windows 10?
    • Is Synaptics compatible with Windows 10
    • Will it accomplish what I describe above with Windows 7?

user2153235, Mar 5, 2021
  3. kuertee Win User
    stop middle mouse button from opening cortana/search

Is there a way to stop the middle mouse button (i.e. click of the scroll wheel) from opening Cortana/search?

Things I've tried:

1. Searched Google. No useful results. The closest I found was that Windows 10 may be confusing the click of the middle mouse button as the 3-finger tap on the touchpad - which opens Cortana/search by the default. But I don't have a touch pad. I have the Toshiba PX30T (Toshiba Qosmio PX30t 23 inch Touchscreen All-in-One PC - Black/Silver (Intel Core i3 3120M 2.5GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-Bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories).

2. Tried re-configuring the middle mouse button in (a) Windows 10 Settings > Devices > Mouse & touchpad, (b) Control Panel > Mouse, and (c) my desktop's manufacturer's System Settings utility application (upgraded just now from their website). Interestingly, none of those three configuration tools had any control setting for the middle mouse button.

It is obvious that Windows 10 doesn't "fully" support the wireless mouse that comes with my PC.

My question then is...

Is there a way to "unbind" the middle mouse button from opening Cortana/search? For example, via the Registry Editor - maybe?

Thanks for any replies!

kuertee, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Aelius Win User

How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop?

Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

I have a ThinkPad T480 laptop, using a Synaptics touchpad. I use the built-in Windows 10 touchpad settings to configure the tap functionality.

I configured the touchpad to function as a "mouse back button" when I tap it with three fingers. It works fine in Firefox but it does not work at all in Windows Explorer (i.e., browsing files on my computer.)

Touch pad scrolling works fine, even in Windows Explorer.

Interestingly, I can get it to work as long as Explorer isn't focused. So, for example, if I click an empty part of the taskbar and then put the cursor over an Explorer window - without clicking it - then I do a three-finger tap, Explorer successfully goes back.

One other interesting observation: if I set three-finger tap to something else (say, Action Center), it does work in Explorer. This suggests that the problem is not Explorer failing to recognize any taps - just SPECIFICALLY back-button tap functionality.

Also, I tried setting two- and four-finger taps as mouse back button functionality but it doesn't work for those either, meaning the problem is not specific to three-finger taps.

Any ideas?

Aelius, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop?

1. How to use Middle Mouse button tap on a Laptop? - Similar Threads - Middle Mouse button

2. Middle mouse button click not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Middle mouse button click not working: Hello, hope you are well. For a couple months now my middle mouse button has not been registering at all. I use it quite a lot toopen links in new tabs and such, so this is really tough. I know its not the mouse itself, because ive plugged in a new mouse and it had the same...
  3. Middle mouse button click not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Middle mouse button click not working: Hello, hope you are well. For a couple months now my middle mouse button has not been registering at all. I use it quite a lot toopen links in new tabs and such, so this is really tough. I know its not the mouse itself, because ive plugged in a new mouse and it had the same...
  4. My middle mouse button problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My middle mouse button problem: So there is a issue in windows i guess when i press right left click my middle mouse button gets clicked with them which i don't even touch so for now i got an alternate update and i disabled the middle mouse button and now the bug is gone but i can't use middle mouse button...
  5. My middle mouse button problem

My middle mouse button problem: So there is a issue in windows i guess when i press right left click my middle mouse button gets clicked with them which i don't even touch so for now i got an alternate update and i disabled the middle mouse button and now the bug is gone but i can't use middle mouse button...
  6. My middle mouse button problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Middle mouse button drag with the touchpad

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Middle mouse button drag with the touchpad: Good morning, This might be an age old question but I need to find a way to perform this if I dont have a mouse with the notebook. CAD software traditionally use middle button drag for panning a drawing sheet or rotating the 3D model. Currently the left button drag mode...
  8. Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit: I recently bought a new Laptop (HP Envy x360, Intel i5 10th gen.) with a synaptics precision touchpad. I just wanted to change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button. In in the win10 settings i can only choose to set 2fingertap to right click: yes or no. On my old laptop i had...
  9. Middle Mouse Button Click Issue

Middle Mouse Button Click Issue: I have a Dell WM257 mouse/keyboard running on Windows 10 desktop. The middle button on the mouse suddenly stopped working. There doesn't seem to be anyway to check or change the settings for this, although the settings that are available did not change. Reinstalling the...
  10. Using the Touchpad and Mouse middle click button on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Using the Touchpad and Mouse middle click button on Windows: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The middle button on a mouse is typically used for scrolling through File Explorer with tons or file or long pages on the web. But did you know that it can do more than just scrolling? Today we will talk [...] This post Using the Touchpad and Mouse middle...