Windows 10: How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD

Discus and support How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My new Windows 10 v. Home 1909 desktop has a 128 GB SSD (C drive) and a 1TB internal HDD (D drive). If I understand correctly the OS pc boots in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fdm2000, Jan 18, 2020.

1. fdm2000 Win User

How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD

My new Windows 10 v. Home 1909 desktop has a 128 GB SSD (C drive) and a 1TB internal HDD (D drive). If I understand correctly the OS pc boots in the SSD and all current Programs and Programs (x86) files are in the C drive. The C drive is already more than half full and I have not yet installed a number of programs that I want on the new pc. I have been told that even if install a new program to the D drive ( when given the option) it may not function properly because the support files for the program are placed in the C drive, and the .exe file is in the D drive . To conserve storage space on the C drive a friend configured settings to store all new apps, videos, music, photos and documents in the D drive.
    However the space hogs will be the several programs I want to install but wonder what if anything can be done to get the programs files once on the D drive to load and function from the D drive.

Would like opinions and suggestions on whether it is possible to run newly installed programs from the non OS D drive with causing Windows 10 issues

Frank?

:)

fdm2000, Jan 18, 2020
  2. Word Man Win User

new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

@davnav - if You go the route suggested above of backing up the large drive and restoring to the SSD, make sure you've selected ALL partitions on the source disk for the backup and be aware of the following IF the SSD is smaller than 1 TB:

1) You could shrink your Windows partition of the original disk from within Disk Management so that everything is small enough to fit on the SSD BEFORE making the backup image OR

2) You can resize the Windows partition AS YOU SET UP the restore from Macrium using drag and drop and resizing the partition to fit. Here is a step by step direct from Macrium on doing the resizing I speak of (Kari's tutorial does not cover it), see in particular Steps 5 & 6: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/di...ion+properties

Of course, much simpler if your SSD is 1 TB and you need not bother with what I write here.

Word Man, Jan 18, 2020
  3. Using SSD and HDD

Hi,

if you have Windows 10 on HDD already you'll need to make a new installation to SSD and remove Windows from HDD. Than you may install programs to HDD.

But I see a few reasons for such decision. Is your SSD too small? Even 240GB SSD are not expensive now.

Igor Leyko, Jan 18, 2020
  4. davnav Win User

new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following.

Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ?

Next I need help on how to clone the 1tb hdd to the
    Ssd drive, step by step and best software to use and have the ssd as the main drive then use the the 1hdd for storage.I just dont want to break my new system
    Thanks for your time.

davnav, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

1. How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD - Similar Threads - small SSD large

2. Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD: Hi all,I need to replace my current C drive SSD too small with a larger SSD. Windows updates are resource pigs and I'm almost out of space. I've read several articles and it seems it either takes two or three simple steps using the free Macrium Clone function or the Windows...
  3. Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:): I just got a new PC with the following setup: Drive C: is a 128 GB SSD and Drive D: is a 2 TB HDD. Even though I have not installed any programs (like MS Office Pro), C: only has 61.7 FB free of 117 GB. I'm totally scared of what will happen if I start installing...
  4. Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD: Hi looking for some advice, I have a laptop and the HD is painfully slow so I have decided to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Now the existing hard drive is a 1TB drive but for what I need the laptop for I have opted for a much smaller SSD drive (I have plenty of Network...
  5. New PC with SSD and HDD setup

New PC with SSD and HDD setup: I'm having issues completing my environment setup on my Dell XPS 8930 desktop computer. As mentioned in the subject line, my PC has both an SSD and HDD. The operating system (Windows 10 Pro) is on the SSD as Drive C. The HDD is 2tb and I plan to use this for my user data....
  6. Using SSD and HDD

Using SSD and HDD: I have a hard drive and an SSD. I want to use the SSD for booding and the hard drive for storing everything else except a few apps (ex. chrome and frequently used ones). I am new to windows. How do I do this?...
  7. Disk management with small windows ssd drive and large hdd

Disk management with small windows ssd drive and large hdd: Hi community, I recently reinstalled Windows on my 23Gb SSD. I want to use the 500gb Hdd for everything else. However, some files and programs have to be on that small 23Gb SSD (e.g. Office) and I am running out of storage after only the first day of my new Windows. How...
  8. New pc build ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New pc build ssd and hdd: Hello, I am planning a brand new build and would like to install a 120gb ssd as my boot disk, and a 1Tb for pretty much everything else. What is the best way to go about this? And how do I make the hdd the default for downloads, storage, etc. This will be a clean, new...
  9. How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?: I have just got a 120gb SSD and i put it in my laptop along with my 1tb SSHD and my 32gb Mssd. now i would like to have this as my final output 120gb SSD holding ONLY windows files/installation and possible some small apps (bootable) and my large 1TB for everything...
  10. Small SSD for large SSD for win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Small SSD for large SSD for win10: So im selling one of my smaller ssd's 240GB and picking up a 1TB. Which drive would be better to install windows on? Not worried about drive speeds or anything like that. ive been told to keep it on a smaller SSD over a larger 1TB ssd. 82033