Windows 10: How to use new SSD as both Windows Image and Windows Boot to backup?

Discus and support How to use new SSD as both Windows Image and Windows Boot to backup? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have the current set up: Internal NVME SSD of 500 GB working as main SSD for Windows Boot, currently full. No partitions. Internal SSD of 1TB with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/noxor11, Nov 27, 2020.

1. How to use new SSD as both Windows Image and Windows Boot to backup?

I have the current set up:

1. Internal NVME SSD of 500 GB working as main SSD for Windows Boot, currently full. No partitions.
    2. Internal SSD of 1TB with only 300 GB free. No partitions.
    3. Now buying a new NVME SSD of 1TB to replace as main Windows Boot for my laptop

I also currently have a SSD case that can be used for the SSD to act as an external SSD, but I don't have an NVME case to be used as external, but I could buy one.

I want to use the new NVME 1TB as main SSD, but I really need to make a backup of all the content on the current 500GB NVME. However, I don't have any other hard drive to make te backup. Is it possible to make partitions on the new 1TB one for the backup, and later joining the 2 partitions? Or what is the best option in this case?

Edit: Maybe I'm kind of dumb and I could just clone the disk with an external case, right?

submitted by /u/noxor11
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/noxor11, Nov 27, 2020

2. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown How to use new SSD as both Windows Image and Windows Boot to backup? :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile How to use new SSD as both Windows Image and Windows Boot to backup? :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Nov 27, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

How to use new SSD as both Windows Image and Windows Boot to backup? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Nov 27, 2020
  4. Kursah Win User

How to use new SSD as both Windows Image and Windows Boot to backup?

Is it possible to backup windows 7 and install it on a new SSD?

You're better imaging the drive over, I have used AEMOI Partition Assistant as it has a "Copy to SSD" function that will allow imaging from a larger HDD to smaller SSD. Been a while since I've done one...there are other tools that work well.

You want to migrate to an SSD: How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows

+1 to EASUS ToDo Backup Free...works well.

Kursah, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

How to use new SSD as both Windows Image and Windows Boot to backup?

1. How to use new SSD as both Windows Image and Windows Boot to backup? - Similar Threads - SSD both Image

2. How to create a windows 10 image to restore on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a windows 10 image to restore on new SSD.: I have a laptop with the following drive information:C: 236 GB Free Space 4.16 GB Lenovo primary SSDThis is windows drive911GB A Secondary HDDWith the Following partitions:F: 247 GB with free 247 GBD: 664 GB with free 39 GBI am using Windows 10, And some of the programs use...
  3. How to create a windows 10 image to restore on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a windows 10 image to restore on new SSD.: I have a laptop with the following drive information:C: 236 GB Free Space 4.16 GB Lenovo primary SSDThis is windows drive911GB A Secondary HDDWith the Following partitions:F: 247 GB with free 247 GBD: 664 GB with free 39 GBI am using Windows 10, And some of the programs use...
  4. How to create a windows 10 image to restore on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect: I have 1 notebook dan 1 PC. 1 notebook is Thinkpad L13 with SSD 256 GB NVME. OS is Window 10 Ultimate. I wanted to upgrade SSD to 1 TB. Before upgrade, I did clone or backup image of my SSD. I removed internal SSD from Thinkpad, and connect it to PC using PCIe converter to...
  6. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect: I have 1 notebook dan 1 PC. 1 notebook is Thinkpad L13 with SSD 256 GB NVME. OS is Window 10 Ultimate. I wanted to upgrade SSD to 1 TB. Before upgrade, I did clone or backup image of my SSD. I removed internal SSD from Thinkpad, and connect it to PC using PCIe converter to...
  7. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

8. How to use Systems Image Backup feature in Windows 10?

How to use Systems Image Backup feature in Windows 10?: I want to back up my data of all the accounts at once present in my laptop. How to use the System Image Backup feature to backup data of all personal accounts in my laptop?...
  9. Backup/Image of my Laptop with a SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup/Image of my Laptop with a SSD: My relatively new Lenono Laptop's Windows 10 SSD suddenly stopped working and the shop said it is DEAD. So upgraded the SSD to a 1 tb but I needs some advise. I would like to get a Backup or Image software of my 1tb SSD to a 1-5tb HD in case is fails again. What would be...
  10. Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD: I bought a Samsung sm951 to replace my 840 Pro. The sm951 was installed in a PCI slot using an adapter which gave it 4 lanes for data usage. I imaged my 850 Pro SSD and then I restored the image to the sm951 SSD, but the computer would not boot from the new drive, saying that...