Windows 10: How to use OpenVPN client on Windows?

Discus and support How to use OpenVPN client on Windows? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an OpenVPN server running on my router and am trying to set up OpenVPN on a laptop so I can access computers and NAS drives on my LAN when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pokeefe0001, Jan 20, 2020.

1. How to use OpenVPN client on Windows?

I have an OpenVPN server running on my router and am trying to set up OpenVPN on a laptop so I can access computers and NAS drives on my LAN when traveling. I had very little trouble getting software installed and configured enough to get a VPN tunnel to my router. But I've had next to no luck figuring out how to actually use it.

When in it's "remote" configuration, my laptop is using a tethered mobile phone as a "modem". It appears as an Ethernet NDIS interface. OpenVPN provides and uses a TAP/TUN driver (tap-windows6 driver 9.24.2). And BTW, I really don't understand anything I said in that sentence. The important thing, I think, is that I've got 2 active network adapters - both virtual. One is supporting my internet connection and provides the IP default gateway 192.168.0.1. The other is the VPN tunnel endpoint and, in my configuration, uses IP subnet 10.8.0.0. The router at the other end of the tunnel uses subnet 192.168.1.0. The router itself is 192.168.1.1.

Fine so far. I can ping devices on my LAN (that don't have firewalls blocking pings). I can reach the HTTP servers on the NAS devices via their IP addresses.

I cannot access anything on the LAN by name; no DSN queries get forwarded to the router. Unfortunately, I access everything on my LAN by name. I don't know if this is a problem with the way I have OpenVPN configured, or is due to Windows' not knowing how to handle the 2 network interfaces.

I also cannot bring up Remote Desktop connections with the computers on the LAN. I've seen many web articles indicating RDP across VPN is possible so I know I'm not trying the impossible. Some articles mention firewalls getting in the way, but since my VPN tunnel is to my router rather than the remote Windows I don't think that is the problem ... at the server end. But I have no idea what the TAP/TUN adapter looks like on the client side. I don't see options for Public/Private settings, etc.

Anyone have any experience setting up a configuration like this?

I don't know if it matters, but I'm running Win10 1903.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jan 20, 2020

2. OpenVPN client change hostname resolving in Windows 2003 Server

I have OpenVPN client at Windows server 2003 and OpenVPN works right. Also I have 1C service there. Also I have stopped and have deleted Routing and Remote Access Role for Windows server 2003 (and Server was rebooted of course).

So here is a problem: When my OpenVPN client have started - my servername's name server.company.local resolved
    10.8.8.105 instead of normal 192.168.34.10. As result the access to my 1C service stops. How to solve it?

Alexandro Rodriguez, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Why Does Windows 10 Not Natively Support OpenVPN?

The OpenVPN license:

OpenVPN Access Server End User License Agreement | OpenVPN

seems to be for the server software (and it might just be for their specific implementation of it). I'm wondering about Windows natively supporting our communicating with our own (or commercial) OpenVPN servers. IOW, an OpenVPN client. Not a server.
    Things like OpenVPN for Android (free software) surely can't be paying OpenVPN for every copy of that software.

oreveredrist, Jan 20, 2020
  4. How to use OpenVPN client on Windows?

OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6

I'm trying to get an openvpn server running on windows 10 (pro), version 1607. It's working for ipv4, but not ipv6. I'm specifically trying to get it working with ipv4 and ipv6 to test for a problem with openvpn. I'm testing with ipv6-test.com and test-ipv6.com. The client and the server are connecting and both ipv4 and ipv6 are working between the client and the server (the client can ping server), but I can't get any ipv6 traffic to pass through the server.

I'm wondering about internet connection sharing. There don't appear to be any specific ICS settings that relate to this issue. Alternatively, it could be routing.

Any suggestions?

bimmerdriver, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

How to use OpenVPN client on Windows?

1. How to use OpenVPN client on Windows? - Similar Threads - OpenVPN client

2. OpenVPN installation error for Surface Pro 9 windows 11 Pro with ARM with QUALCOMM SQ3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OpenVPN installation error for Surface Pro 9 windows 11 Pro with ARM with QUALCOMM SQ3: Hello- I am trying to install OpenVPN for Windows Client and I am unable to have a successful installation. I continue to receive the following error OpenVPNMSICA: get_net_adapter_guid:SetupDIOpenDevRegKey failed Error -536870396The installation eventually gets completed but...
  3. OpenVPN installation error for Surface Pro 9 windows 11 Pro with ARM with QUALCOMM SQ3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OpenVPN installation error for Surface Pro 9 windows 11 Pro with ARM with QUALCOMM SQ3: Hello- I am trying to install OpenVPN for Windows Client and I am unable to have a successful installation. I continue to receive the following error OpenVPNMSICA: get_net_adapter_guid:SetupDIOpenDevRegKey failed Error -536870396The installation eventually gets completed but...
  4. The OpenVPN can't be installed

The OpenVPN can't be installed: I have Windows 10 x64.During I install OpenVPN the error appears See the screenshot.I tried to install different versions from 2.5.5 to 2.6.0.I had the same result...
  5. The OpenVPN can't be installed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The OpenVPN can't be installed: I have Windows 10 x64.During I install OpenVPN the error appears See the screenshot.I tried to install different versions from 2.5.5 to 2.6.0.I had the same result...
  6. The OpenVPN can't be installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Microsoft Account service can't connect when using OpenVPN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Account service can't connect when using OpenVPN: This issue goes for a long time, now. It has been repeatedly reported on Feedback Hub, has been fixed and it broke again. The problem can be described simply: if you connect through OpenVPN, Microsoft Account connection page simply doesn't connect; which means that you can't...
  8. OpenVPN is not working after Windows 11 upgrade

OpenVPN is not working after Windows 11 upgrade: Hi Team,I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 after that my OpenVPN client is unable to launch. Is anyone else facing that issue? I tried different blogs available on Internet to allow that OpenVPN app on firewall but none of them works.Can someone help me ....
  9. OpenVPN or Wireguard Client with auto-connect on untrusted Wifis

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OpenVPN or Wireguard Client with auto-connect on untrusted Wifis: I'm looking for a VPN client that supports auto-connection on untrusted wifis and also disconnects as soon as its back on a trusted wifi. Is there anything out there? Dont mind it being OpenVPN or Wireguard. submitted by /u/leahdrenalin [link] [comments]...
  10. Create OPENVPN server / Client on CENTOS 7 SIMPLE (?) method !!

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Create OPENVPN server / Client on CENTOS 7 SIMPLE (?) method !!: Hi there For anybody running Centos 7 as a VM (or even Native - but as this is a Windows Forum I'll assume it's on a VM) this is about the easiest and most foolproof method of getting OPENVPN to work and how to manage those pesky certificates.. How to install OpenVPN...