Windows 10: How to use powercfg to stop devices from preventing my computer locking itself and going to...

Discus and support How to use powercfg to stop devices from preventing my computer locking itself and going to... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have the problem that I want my laptop plugged in to lock after about 15 minutes of idle time and then go to sleep. This stopped working after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jon77777, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Jon77777 Win User

How to use powercfg to stop devices from preventing my computer locking itself and going to...

I have the problem that I want my laptop plugged in to lock after about 15 minutes of idle time and then go to sleep. This stopped working after I installed a new Webcam. I have another PC that still refuses to do this. I have all of the power configurations through the control panel set to go to sleep.

From earlier articles I have learned that powercfg works. The problem is I do the powercfg/requests and I get the output:

DISPLAY:

[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume8\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SkypeApp_14.56.102.0_x64__kzf8qxf38zg5c\SkypeApp.exe

Windows Runtime Package: Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c

SYSTEM:

[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1220&SUBSYS_155865D1&REV_1000\4&249abb65&0&0001

An audio stream is currently in use.

[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume8\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SkypeApp_14.56.102.0_x64__kzf8qxf38zg5c\SkypeApp.exe

Windows Runtime Package: Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c

In creating the powercfg requests do I use in the request "Realtek High Definition Audio" or "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1220&SUBSYS_155865D1&REV_1000\4&249abb65&0&0001"

ie

powercfg/requestsoverride DRIVER "Realtek High Definition Audio" SYSTEM

or

powercfg/requestsoverride DRIVER "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1220&SUBSYS_155865D1&REV_1000\4&249abb65&0&0001" SYSTEM

:)

Jon77777, Jun 18, 2020
  2. brucefl Win User

Windows 10 won't stay asleep? Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed/Powercfg -devicedisablewake "devicename"

I have been checking to windows 10 not staying asleep. I go to power and sleep sometimes after about 15 seconds or so it comes back out of sleep. I found this (below) and when I check it shows mouse and keyboard. Will it affect the system when I want it
    to come out of sleep and I move my mouse or touch a key? Figured I would ask first. Kind of concerned if I disable it that it may not come out of sleep mode? Thanks Bruce

If the issue still occurs, I would suggest you to check if there is any devices that is preventing the computer to go to sleep mode. Follow the steps:

a) Type cmd on the Start screen and right click on it. Select Run as administrator.

b) Type the following command and hit Enter:

Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

c) You will get the name/names of the devices. To disable a specific device from waking the computer, run the following command:

Powercfg -devicedisablewake "devicename"

Note: Make sure that you replace the “devicename”placeholder with the name of the device that you want to disable.

d) If this issue still occurs after you disable one device, disable the devices in this list one by one until you determine which device is causing the issue. If you want to re-enable a device to wake the computer,
    run the following command:

Powercfg -deviceenablewake "devicename" command.

brucefl, Jun 18, 2020
  3. _JP_ Win User
    Computer Randomly Turns on From Sleep

I only saw this thread now, otherwise I would have suggested this sooner.
    I had that same problem you are having, my computer was waking-up from S3 and the culprit was my X7 mouse.
    powercfg -lastwake also listed the HID keyboard device which was an extension of the mouse.
    Besides going in device manager and setting everything to not being able to wake-up the computer from S3, I also did this to the power profiles:

How to use powercfg to stop devices from preventing my computer locking itself and going to... nousbwakeup.jpg

Worked for me.

4. Ma. Lau Win User

How to use powercfg to stop devices from preventing my computer locking itself and going to...

Computer does not sleep anymore (\FileSystem\srvnet)

Hi,

With regard to your concern, since you have tried the suggested troubleshooting steps within this thread you can also perform checking if there is any device that is preventing the computer to go to sleep mode.

• Press Windows key+X and select Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type the following command line and hit Enter:
      • Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    • After getting the name of device you can disable a specific device from waking the computer by running the command line below:
      • Powercfg -devicedisablewake "devicename"

Note:
        Make sure to replace the devicename with the name of the deice that you want to disable.
    • If the issue still persists, you can try to disable the device s in the list one by one one to determine which device is causing the issue. And to re-enable a device to wake the computer yuou can simply type the command: Powercfg -deviceenablewake
      "devicename"
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

1. How to use powercfg to stop devices from preventing my computer locking itself and going to... - Similar Threads - powercfg stop devices

2. How do I stop my computer from turning on by itself?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I stop my computer from turning on by itself?: My computer keeps turning on by itself. I searched up all the ways and none of them work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-my-computer-from-turning-on-by/a90ca2eb-acaf-4361-9e47-2550ca2da51b
  3. How do I prevent windows from "locking" itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent windows from "locking" itself: Every time i try to play a game on my laptop windows will pop up a screen that say Locking and then turn itself off, I want to turn this off, even if i have to use the regedit...
  4. How do I prevent windows from "locking" itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I prevent windows from "locking" itself: Every time i try to play a game on my laptop windows will pop up a screen that say Locking and then turn itself off, I want to turn this off, even if i have to use the regedit...
  5. SearchIndexer.exe is preventing this device from being stopped

in Windows 10 News
    SearchIndexer.exe is preventing this device from being stopped: [ATTACH]Safely Remove Hardware is a useful feature in Windows operating systems that lets users disconnect their external storage devices safely. To use this feature, right-click on your storage device in the File Explorer and select Eject. The same option is also available...
  6. How to prevent audio devices from blocking computer going to sleep?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent audio devices from blocking computer going to sleep?: As per image below and question above : There's no option for me to toggle whether this device can prevent my PC from going to sleep. I also don't understand why "HD Audio" is in use even though NOTHING is playing in the background. How can I resolve this? Lastly, what is a...
  7. Preventing a computer from going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preventing a computer from going to sleep: With everyone working remotely, I worked hard to make sure that our computers at the office never went to sleep. There used to be separate sections on the Power and Sleep settings allowing you to tell the computer to never go to sleep. Well an update must have gone out and...
  8. My computer locks itself after X minutes. How to stop that?

in Windows 10 Customization
    My computer locks itself after X minutes. How to stop that?: Since today, my pc locks itself after some amount on inactivity. Probably 10 or 15 minutes. Up until yesterday, this never happened. I have checked: Dynamic Lock. This is disabled. Screen saver. This is also disabled. Unattended sleep timeout in Power options. This is set...
  9. Windows Explorer: how to prevent the % from going up when not in use?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer: how to prevent the % from going up when not in use?: Hi there: I have an issue that is bugging me. Under See which apps are affecting your battery life, I noticed the % for Windows Explorer keeps going up by 1%. It was at 10%. It went up to 11%. Then, I ended Windows Explorer task and created a new task. Why is it going up by...
  10. How do I prevent my computer from going into a deep sleep?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I prevent my computer from going into a deep sleep?: How do I prevent my computer from going into a deep sleep after inactivity? I have hybrid sleep off. Whenever I try to wake it up, it doesn't respond to any of keys except for the power button. That leads me to thinking it's been shut down, crashed, or is in a deep sleep....