Windows 10: how to use windows10 home key licence on wondows 10 pro

Discus and support how to use windows10 home key licence on wondows 10 pro in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a windows 10 home license but after changing my hard disc I downloaded windows 10 pro and the key license doesn't activate it. Is it any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Atousa64, May 2, 2020.

1. Atousa64 Win User

how to use windows10 home key licence on wondows 10 pro

I purchased a windows 10 home license but after changing my hard disc I downloaded windows 10 pro and the key license doesn't activate it. Is it any chance that I can use the license for the different windows 10 pro or should I uninstall everything and install windows home again?

:)

Atousa64, May 2, 2020
  2. aradne Win User

Windows 10 Pro Licence Expiring - looking for help

I have an HP Elitebook Folio 9470m purchased from a private seller about 6 months ago in late September or early October of 2017. Within the last week I have been getting a pop-up saying that the Windows Licence is about to expire.

The seller had Windows 7 Pro running on it when I bought it and there is a Windows 7 Pro product key in the battery compartment. The seller told me that he had been running Windows 10 for a short period, but did not like it and had rolled the laptop back to Windows 7.

When I purchased it, I immediately updated it to Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft website. There were no issues and it has been running Windows 10 Pro without any problem for the last 6 months. I do vaguely remember however that when updating to Windows 10, the process seemed just slightly different than when I updated another laptop earlier in the year.

When I checked the Settings>Activation page now, it says "Windows is activated using your organization's activation service" and not a digital licence as on my other laptop. I had assumed that when updating 6 months ago, I had moved to a digital licence for Windows 10. That doesn't appear to be the case.
    I downloaded the activation download tool in the first post of this thread, but it's not running properly. I can try getting it to run if you think it's necessary, but in the meantime I used Jellybean Keyfinder to look for the current Windows 10 product key. It's different from the one listed in the battery compartment for the original Windows 7 install. Keyfinder also lists the registered owner as HP and gives a blank for registered organization. It also states that Windows 10 Pro was "Installed from Volume Media".

I want to continue to run Windows 10 Pro and I would like to know my options. These are the ones I'm considering.

1. On the Settings>Activation page, go to Change Product Key and enter the Windows 7 Pro key that is listed in the battery compartment. I don't know if that will work or if it might also worsen the situation in some way.

2. Purchase a Windows 10 Pro product key from a UK ebay seller for a nominal cost and enter that product key. The seller has over 2000 highly positive reviews over several years so appears legitimate enough that it's been working for people.
    3. Is there any way to convert to a Windows 10 Pro Digital Licence at this stage?
    I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

aradne, May 2, 2020
  3. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 2, 2020
  4. Remiscan Win User

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro key

I've got two laptops:
    • the old one, with Windows 10 Pro (1909) installed after a free update from Windows 8.1 Pro
    • the new one, with Windows 10 Home (1909) installed

I've got the Windows 8.1 Pro product key, and I want to transfer it to the new PC. Microsoft support tried to help me, but here's the conclusions we reached:

• I can't use the 8.1 Pro product key in the setting to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro
    • I could use it if I had Windows 10 Pro installed instead of Home
    • I can't use the generic Windows 10 Pro product key to start the upgrade, because the new PC doesn't have a Pro licence
    • I could upgrade directly from Windows 10 Home to Pro if I had a Windows 10 Pro product key instead of a Windows 8.1 Pro product key
    • I can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro and activate it later, because the installer (from the media creation tool) automatically understands that I have a Home licence and not a Pro licence, and doesn't let me choose

So, according to the support guy, my only option is to clean install Windows 10 Pro, and then it will recognize my Windows 8.1 Pro key and activate it.

It seems so weird to me that, having a valid Pro licence (in the form of a Windows 8.1 Pro product key), I can't directly upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro. Like, I have the licence, it will only work if I enter it after the upgrade, but I can only start the upgrade after entering the licence ??

So here I am, asking if there's a workaround that would allow me to simply upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro without losing any files, programs or settings, just like if I had a Windows 10 Pro product key instead of a Windows 8.1 one.

Is there any way to convince the media creation tool or whatever else to download an iso/anything that would upgrade Home to Pro?

Whatever the answer is, thank you how to use windows10 home key licence on wondows 10 pro :)

EDIT: Okay so I had a weird idea and I have no idea if it would work, but basically: what if I clean installed Windows 8.1 Pro on another partition on the new PC, activated it to with the product key, updated it to Windows 10 Pro (is that still possible?)... Would that link a Windows 10 Pro licence to my Microsoft account as a digital licence for the new PC, that I could then use to upgrade the other partition to Pro for free through the Microsoft Store?

Remiscan, May 2, 2020
Thema:

1. how to use windows10 home key licence on wondows 10 pro - Similar Threads - windows10 home key

2. Windows10 home to pro revoke

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 home to pro revoke: Hi I bought my laptop in costco. Dell Inspiron 5000..i7 As it was very slow wanted to format...I started formatting and 64% loop error occurred....and I used a boot up file from pendrive ....Then everything seem to be alryte but mine was a pro version and unknowingly I choose...
  3. Windows10 home to pro revoke

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows10 home to pro revoke: Hi I bought my laptop in costco. Dell Inspiron 5000..i7 As it was very slow wanted to format...I started formatting and 64% loop error occurred....and I used a boot up file from pendrive ....Then everything seem to be alryte but mine was a pro version and unknowingly I choose...
  4. Buying an Upgrade Licence key from home to pro win 10 in Pakistan

Buying an Upgrade Licence key from home to pro win 10 in Pakistan: i am from Pakistan. I want to upgrade my Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro. On Payment screen it only allows buyers from US. How cam i purchase an upgrade licence from from Pakistan...
  5. WINDOWS 10 HOME LICENCE OR ACTIVATION KEY

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WINDOWS 10 HOME LICENCE OR ACTIVATION KEY: I have purchased a DELL Vostro 15 laptop with windows 10 home preinstalled on it. Neither the invoice nor the box contains windows licence number or activation product key on it . From where can I get the above information. thanks & regards...
  6. Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.

Windows 10 Pro purchased but reinstalls only home. No licence key or digital licence.: I bought Windows 10 Pro 2 years ago and at the time on that computer it worked as an in-situ upgrade without issues. Ive since had to change computers and reinstall and it doesn't seem to exist any more. The windows install is the OEM supplied Win10 home. When i attempt...
  7. upgradation of windows10 home to windows10 pro

upgradation of windows10 home to windows10 pro: i have windows10 home product key how i upgrade my presnt version to windows10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgradation-of-windows10-home-to-windows10-pro/8abe0aab-b2cb-48ae-a96f-669e9ad9ec3c
  8. Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Windows 10 Home....How to and Licence

Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Windows 10 Home....How to and Licence: I want to change from windows 10 pro to windows 10 home edition, can you help please ? Can you issue licence for windows 10 home to replace my windows 10 pro licence ?...
  9. Windows 10 pro licence key

Windows 10 pro licence key: Hi all, I need help with activating Win 10. I'm trying to activate my Windows using product key I purchased for my old laptop that just died. I purchased new laptop and I'm trying to activate Windows 10 on my new laptop using my old key but I keep getting errors that says...
  10. windows 10 pro licence key

windows 10 pro licence key: I had a hp elitebook with windows 8 licenced and downloaded the windows 10 pro upgrade which was free and as i understand with this it becomes a digital licence. Now that laptop has gone to pasture and i bought another laptop and used the same windows 10 which i downloaded...