Windows 10: How to user SMB2 on Windows?

Discus and support How to user SMB2 on Windows? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a problem accessing my Synology DS218J NAS from my Windows 10 desktop. I get the following error when I try to access it. [ATTACH] The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by scorcho, Apr 18, 2020.

1. scorcho Win User

How to user SMB2 on Windows?

Hi,

I have a problem accessing my Synology DS218J NAS from my Windows 10 desktop. I get the following error when I try to access it.

How to user SMB2 on Windows? b96c7d5f-e06c-41c2-a5c2-ab1250a5c103?upload=true.png

The NAS is working fine, as I can access the web portal from the same desktop. I can also access the NAS from other laptops and mobile devices.

I tried using a Linux VM to connect to the NAS via smbclient: "smbclient-U galapogos -L <host>" and I get the error "protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE"

After googling on the Windows/Linux error codes, it seems to indicate a SMB1 error, but I didn't think it would be because both the Windows desktop and the NAS have SMB1 disabled.

But, just to confirm, I tried to force SMB2/SMB3 on Linux via smbclient: "smbclient -m SMB2/SMB3 -L <host>" AND BOTH SMB2/SMB3 WORKED!

So, it does seem that Windows is not using SMB2/3? How do I force it system wide? Or, is there an smbclient on Windows that I can try to use to confirm the problem?

I've already disabled SMB1 in Windows Features.

How to user SMB2 on Windows? d933d472-e360-426c-b676-49446b50e883?upload=true.png

I've also disabled it in the registry via PowerShell commands and verified that it's not there in the registry.

How to user SMB2 on Windows? c1d396c6-df2a-4783-aa0d-3abb0ef0666f?upload=true.png

So, does anyone know how to FORCE Windows to use SMB2/SMB3 like I can with smbclient in Linux?

:)

scorcho, Apr 18, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Apr 18, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Apr 18, 2020
  4. How to user SMB2 on Windows?

Smb1 to smb2

SMB2 should be available as a default, however the drive will not appear in the network section. If your network drive is SMB2 capable, then it would be seen. Windows as of 1803 (I believe), turned off SMB1 by default. You can turn it back on by adding it to the windows features. If you search for "Features", you should see a "Windows Features" entry. Select it and you will be presented with a list of features that you can "Enable or Disable". Scroll down and find the SMB1 entry, and select. You will have to reboot your system and your network device will then appear in Windows Explorer network attachments. But since SMB1 has known security issues, I recommend you to mount your NAS as a network drive.

You can do that via Explorer ("Mount Network Drive") and assign it a drive letter. The first time it will ask you for a password (The original one that you assigned to your NAS) and will remember it and every time you re-boot your system, it will re-mount it.

PS: fill out your system specifications on this forum (Hardware, Windows Version, etc.), which will help everybody here understand your system needs.

Enjoy.

storageman, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

How to user SMB2 on Windows?

1. How to user SMB2 on Windows? - Similar Threads - user SMB2

2. Local account user denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local account user denied: Please, I am trying to run programs on my laptop , windows 11. But acess is denied with the * yes* button disappearing. I have tried all means but with safe mode prompt command but the * yes* button does not appear. Please help me out...
  3. Local account user denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local account user denied: Please, I am trying to run programs on my laptop , windows 11. But acess is denied with the * yes* button disappearing. I have tried all means but with safe mode prompt command but the * yes* button does not appear. Please help me out...
  4. I have a user having issue in taskbar generic account icon is showing in windows 11, I have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a user having issue in taskbar generic account icon is showing in windows 11, I have...: Hi Team,I have a user having issue in taskbar generic account icon is showing in windows 11, I have already tried the troubleshooting mention here where as there is no resolution yet, Please guide.Thanks & Regards,Debalina Das...
  5. I have a user having issue in taskbar generic account icon is showing in windows 11, I have...

I have a user having issue in taskbar generic account icon is showing in windows 11, I have...: Hi Team,I have a user having issue in taskbar generic account icon is showing in windows 11, I have already tried the troubleshooting mention here where as there is no resolution yet, Please guide.Thanks & Regards,Debalina Das...
  6. I have a user having issue in taskbar generic account icon is showing in windows 11, I have...

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. the administrator email on my local user doesnt exist is what windows says everytime i try...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    the administrator email on my local user doesnt exist is what windows says everytime i try...: windows is contradicting itself. i think about 2 years ago i made an outlook mail account *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and signed in to my local account on that, but now when i want to change it to another email, its not letting me do anything because it...
  8. the administrator email on my local user doesnt exist is what windows says everytime i try...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the administrator email on my local user doesnt exist is what windows says everytime i try...: windows is contradicting itself. i think about 2 years ago i made an outlook mail account *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and signed in to my local account on that, but now when i want to change it to another email, its not letting me do anything because it...
  9. the administrator email on my local user doesnt exist is what windows says everytime i try...

10. Currently facing with Microsoft applications user interface problem!!! need a fix for this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Currently facing with Microsoft applications user interface problem!!! need a fix for this...: I was facing this problem since November 2023 , After running an application slowly the while lines as shown in screenshot covers the whole application. Some sort of glitchy user interface , and it is observed on Microsoft apps only. Other applications in my laptop are...