Windows 10: How to veriy Serial ports are installed correctly and working on Windows 10

Discus and support How to veriy Serial ports are installed correctly and working on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How to determine the serial ports installed on my new computer are installed correctly. I need a serial port to connect to a Vinyl cutter and it is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rivera C, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Rivera C Win User

How to veriy Serial ports are installed correctly and working on Windows 10

How to determine the serial ports installed on my new computer are installed correctly. I need a serial port to connect to a Vinyl cutter and it is not responding with the software and I can't seem to find an easy way to determine how to Troubleshoot the issues.

:)

Rivera C, Jan 19, 2019

2. Windows 10 serial on OEM

So I'll summarize steps made...

1. Saved serial number (taken with Belarc Advisory) from preinstalled (half chinese language) Windows 8.1 (don't know exactly the version, suspect Windows 8.1 with bing) on tablet
    2. Formatted tablet
    3. Tried to make a clean Windows 10 (HOME, HOME N and also PRO, everytime with the same result) install with ISO taken with MediaCreationTool, during install (and also after completing installation) it says that the saved serial is not valid
    4. Tried to reinstall Windows 8.1 (ISO taken with MediaCreationTool again) HOME, it says that the serial is not valid

So i suspect that the saved serial, is from a WINDOWS 8.1 WITH BING OEM version and this kind of ISO is not accessible/downloadable anywhere (at least I can't find it, any suggestion?)

Still not tried SHOWKEY with that serial, I am in office now, and the serial is saved on a usb pen at home, will try this evening.

So I'm stucked but if everything is like I suspect, it's incredible. If I have a tablet/notebook/netbook with Windows 8 preinstalled, it seems that I can update to Windows 10 without problems, but if I want to make a clean Windows 10 install that serial is not valid...

CapitanCatarro, Jan 19, 2019
  3. Yellow ! next to Prolific USB-to-Serial Com Port (COM3)

Hi John,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Based on your description, the issue seems like HooToo USB port driver is outdated. Let’s try simple steps and check if this help.

I recommend you to update the HooToo USB port driver and check if this helps. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Click on Universal Serial Bus to expand and right click on the port device and click on
      Update.
    If the issue still persist, I suggest you to go to the USB manufacturer website and install the driver for Windows 10. If the available USB driver is not for Windows 10, try installing the driver in compatibly mode and check.

HooToo Support Downloads

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 19, 2019
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Changing the Port settings for Serial-USB.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

If you want to change the port settings, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager (right click on start button
      and then on Device manager).
    2. Then expand port (COMS & LPT).
    3. Then right click on Prolific USB-to Serial Comm Port and then on properties.
    4. Go to port settings and click on Advanced.
    5. You will be able to make the changes on this screen.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

1. How to veriy Serial ports are installed correctly and working on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - veriy Serial ports

2. Windows 10 and serial ports

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 and serial ports: Can windows 10 support serial ports. I installed a dual port serial card PCI Express and I cannot get it to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-serial-ports/4315b8d9-2ac5-4df6-8518-55aa038de787
  3. Windows 10 and serial ports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 and serial ports: Can windows 10 support serial ports. I installed a dual port serial card PCI Express and I cannot get it to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-serial-ports/4315b8d9-2ac5-4df6-8518-55aa038de787
  4. Windows 10 and serial ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. PCI Serial Port Driver is not installing on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    PCI Serial Port Driver is not installing on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Some users are reporting that they are unable to install PCI Serial Port Driver on their PC. In this guide, we have a few solutions to fix PCI Serial Port Driver is not installing on Windows 11/10. What is PCI Serial Port? PCI Serial Port is an industry-standard bus...
  6. Serial Port Driver

Serial Port Driver: I need to install a serial port driver. Where can I find such a driver? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/serial-port-driver/4a31f06a-0c90-4c1d-9379-6e1b6d982898
  7. Clear Windows by installing the serial port card

Clear Windows by installing the serial port card: hello , I buy a dual port serial PCI P-NET and installed on motherboard ASUS H310-PLUS but when turn on the pc my windows was not even bios and then reinstall windows and repeat it , my windows running just for a few hours and then Regiment and I was forced reinstall window...
  8. Serial com ports.

Serial com ports.: I am trying to use a USB-RS232 lead on my laptop. I cannot create any COM ports and none are there by default. If I try this on my desktop it works perfectly. When trying to create a COM port I get an invalid parameter error and the creation fails Windows 10 Home...
  9. BSOD serial-port

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD serial-port: BSOD when the program Siemens STARTER using the serial-port. 77830
  10. Are Serial Ports Available ?

Are Serial Ports Available ?: I have a Shuttle (SH67) Computer running WIN10, 64 bit, for an O/S. Are there cards available to give me Serial Ports ? A Google search was useless !! Thanks, Richard S. 31197