Windows 10: How to view, save and clear Command Prompt command History in Windows

Discus and support How to view, save and clear Command Prompt command History in Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] The Command Prompt is nothing but a black and white command line utility that comes out of the box on Windows 10/8/7. But those who know its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 24, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

How to view, save and clear Command Prompt command History in Windows

WinClub, Dec 24, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Clear command prompt history from within batch.

No and Yes.

You can set the size of the list of remembered commands to zero. This will clear all the history, but will also turn off recording any further history. So you should then set a size for the list. Use the command DOSKEY /LISTSIZE=0 after the line prompting for the password. eg..

Code:
    Code:
    @echo off set /p PWD="Password? : " doskey /listsize=0 echo . Echo You typed %PWD%  REM if you want to turn command history back on, you need to set a list size. doskey /listsize=16

3. fatkatie Win User
    Clear command prompt history from within batch.

I have a batch, running in "Command Prompt", that prompts for a password. For any number of reasons I can't guarantee that the window will close before exposing that data (arrow keys browse history list).

Is there a way to keep the password out of the list or is there a way to clear the list from within the batch itself?

Thank you.

fatkatie, Dec 24, 2018
  4. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

1. How to view, save and clear Command Prompt command History in Windows - Similar Threads - view save clear

2. How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?: Hello Microsoft community,I have a big problem in my Windows 10 Pro, I wrote something wrong in the Command Prompt idk How to write in english and when I try tô do any actions that restart the notebook or turn It of, the spinning thing doesnt appear and It never...
  3. How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?: Hello Microsoft community,I have a big problem in my Windows 10 Pro, I wrote something wrong in the Command Prompt idk How to write in english and when I try tô do any actions that restart the notebook or turn It of, the spinning thing doesnt appear and It never...
  4. How to clear Run command history in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to clear Run command history in Windows 10: [ATTACH]This post will explain how to clear the Run dialog command history in Windows 10. The Run dialog box is a very powerful tool in Windows 10. You can use this utility to open your desired apps and documents directly whose path is known. All you need to type the app name...
  5. Run command not saving the history of commands used

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run command not saving the history of commands used: I bought refurbished Dell 5050 and noticed a difference from old Dell - both used Windows 10 Pro. When I use the run command, it does not put in the last used command automatically. My old Dell 7010 running Windows 10 Pro would display last used command but now each time I...
  6. Command prompt settings do not save

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompt settings do not save: ProblemMy command prompt always starts very small on default. Resizing it isn't a problem, but it is a problem when I run a console app that displays information immediately on startup, which is lost by the time I resize the small window. I can't scroll up to see things I've...
  7. Command prompt settings do not save

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Command prompt settings do not save: ProblemMy command prompt always starts very small on default. Resizing it isn't a problem, but it is a problem when I run a console app that displays information immediately on startup, which is lost by the time I resize the small window. I can't scroll up to see things I've...
  8. Clear command prompt history from within batch.

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear command prompt history from within batch.: I have a batch, running in "Command Prompt", that prompts for a password. For any number of reasons I can't guarantee that the window will close before exposing that data (arrow keys browse history list). Is there a way to keep the password out of the list or is there a way...
  9. command prompt commands

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    command prompt commands: Can anybody just tell me what the command prompt for starting up in safe mode with networking is, if there is one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/command-prompt-commands/7b058934-65f0-40dc-8982-936764895a61
  10. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240

Users found this page by searching for:

1. batch to save windows command history