Windows 10: How to view the search box in windows 10 explorer folders

Discus and support How to view the search box in windows 10 explorer folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This pertains to the W10 Explorer folder notthe taskbar. Ever since I bought my W10 computer, I've had trouble viewing the search box on an open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JTH-52, Jan 19, 2020.

1. JTH-52 Win User

How to view the search box in windows 10 explorer folders

This pertains to the W10 Explorer folder notthe taskbar.

Ever since I bought my W10 computer, I've had trouble viewing the search box on an open folder. The url box takes up the entire width of the page and cuts off the search box.

In short, all I can see in the search box is the magnifying glass icon with the X next to it. That's all. I can't see anything I'm typing, hence I'm unable to see if I'm typing correctly.

I'm assuming there has to be a way to shorten the url and expand the search box but how?

I sure would be grateful if someone could answer this frustrating dilemma for me.

Thanks very much!

:)

JTH-52, Jan 19, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 19, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 19, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

1. How to view the search box in windows 10 explorer folders - Similar Threads - view search box

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box

in Cortana
    Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box: File Explorer Search - does anyone know how the search algorithm works or if there is any rhyme or reason for the order of results? Or better yet, do you know a way to define sort rules for this search?...
  3. Win 10 file explorer's folder search box behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 file explorer's folder search box behavior: When I open a folderby clicking its icon, and I release the mouse and start typing asearch term, the first character appears in the search box – but it ishighlighted and then disappears as I continue typing the remaining characters....
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer search : how to persist view settings

Windows 10 File Explorer search : how to persist view settings: Hi, How should I persist my view settings in the "search tools" tab in file explorer ? I hit CTRL-F and then search for something. I then change the View de Details, add the "Path" column, reorder, sort, whatever. I want to be able to have this view whenever I search for...
  5. Search box in folders on Windows 10 not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search box in folders on Windows 10 not working: I am having a problem using the search box that appears in the top right hand corner of folders in Windows 10. When I click on it, in any folder, it refuses to let me type anything in, as if it is frozen, and this means I can't search for anything. I have tried restarting the...
  6. search box in windows explorer broken

in Cortana
    search box in windows explorer broken: on my old windows 10 machine, i could click on search, and date modified, and a calendar would pop up and allow me to set a specific date range. on my brand new computer it does not work. i can only pick last week, last month, etc. i have no idea how to get the function...
  7. Windows 10 - Search box on explorer

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Search box on explorer: Hi. I have an HP Z4 G4 Workstation with windows 10 Pro x64 PT On some days the user can't write on search box, on explorer to find files. The solution is close the Explorer process and then open another Explorer.exe. But then (days later) happens again. I'd like to know...
  8. Windows Explorer search box not functional

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search box not functional: This is slightly different to the error reported by others. Most of the time, even earlier today, I could type something into the search box in Windows Explorer. I’m a little annoyed that I now have to click an extra button to get it to search, but that’s not the error....
  9. Windows Explorer Search View

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Explorer Search View: Hello! I want to change the View in Windows Explorer search results. I found How to Customize Default Search Views on Windows 10 - Appuals.com but cannot understand the instructions exactly. It would also helpful for me if I would have a shortcut key to switch to "Details"...
  10. Folders and Files view in Windows 10 Explorer

Folders and Files view in Windows 10 Explorer: Hi, I want to tidy up my file/folder structure. I am thinking that if I could see all my existing information in a tree-like view this would help enormously. But maybe there is a better way. Thanks....