Windows 10: How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) from hibernation over WiFi?

Discus and support How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) from hibernation over WiFi? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am using a ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 Gaming Laptop, connected to an external monitor. I would like to set my computer to hibernate when I am not using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by chahnjung, Nov 18, 2020.

1. chahnjung Win User

How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) from hibernation over WiFi?

I am using a ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 Gaming Laptop, connected to an external monitor.

I would like to set my computer to hibernate when I am not using it. However, I have my laptop and an external fan on a vertical dock with the lid closed. Is there a way to wake my computer up from hibernation without having to open the lid?

I have visited some Windows forums and they direct me to look up WOL, but this requires an ethernet connection. I have tried to google using WOL via wifi, but couldn't get it to work.

I would like to use my iPhone to wake my computer, as this is the only device I have available (without having to purchase something). I have the WOL app that I tried, but it did not work (maybe I entered the incorrect addresses?)

Any detailed help is appreciated, I am making the transition from Mac to PC and I feel computer illiterate all over again *Sad.
    Thank you and stay safe!

:)

chahnjung, Nov 18, 2020
  2. Tenforo Active Member

WOL Wake on Lan not working after upgrade from windows 8.1

Hi Chris and Jessen P,

The setting for the soft off S5 state if your bios supports it:

Look at this artikel:

System Power States - Win32 apps

It claims:

"Wake-on-LAN behavior

The wake-on-LAN (WOL) feature wakes the computer from a low power state when a network adapter detects a WOL event (typically, a specially constructed Ethernet packet).

The default shutdown behavior puts the system into hybrid shutdown (S4) and all devices are put into D3. Remote wake from hybrid shutdown (S4) or classic shutdown (S5) is completely unsupported. NICs are explicitly not armed for
    wake in both the classic shutdown (S5) and hybrid shutdown (S4) cases because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of spurious wakes when explicit shutdown was requested.
    As a result, Wake-On-LAN is only ever supported from sleep (S3) or hibernate (S4).

Hybrid shutdown (S4) stops user sessions but the contents of kernel sessions are written to hard disk. This enables faster boot. "

But that is not true:

1. Update your driver from the vendor site

2. If you have the option to enable wake on link you can shut your pc down and wake it by WOL.

3. Standy and hibernation should work if you apply the settings of Jessen P.

How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) from hibernation over WiFi? d3adfe94-ecd4-470b-b1f0-4bf9227d84a4.png

Hope this helps you or someone else.

Kind regards,

isee2it.nl

Tenforo, Nov 18, 2020
  3. Ar Rom Win User
    Wol is only working while Hibernating

Hi Joel,

Just to verify, are you referring to Wake-on-LAN when you say WoL? What changes have you made prior to getting this issue? What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Ar Rom, Nov 18, 2020
  4. How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) from hibernation over WiFi?

Wol is only working while Hibernating

Yes, wake on lan, i've deactivated fast boot from Windows, configured the etherenet card to start the computer with a magic packet, then in the bios i've activated boot up from a pci, and also the fat start and deep sleep (that last one i don't remember
    if it's it exct name). From the first moment i've tried wol, that is happening to me and i didn't find the answer. Or a reason why that's happening. Any ideas?

JoelImbérgamo, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) from hibernation over WiFi?

1. How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) from hibernation over WiFi? - Similar Threads - Wake Lan WOL

2. Wake on Lan broken WOL

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake on Lan broken WOL: Hi,Since some weeks, Wake On Lan is not working any more on a lot of Windows 10 et 11 devices.I rechecked every parameters and driver version without success.On a booted windows, I can confirm that the magic packet is received. Any advice is welcome.Thanks...
  3. Wake on Lan broken WOL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wake on Lan broken WOL: Hi,Since some weeks, Wake On Lan is not working any more on a lot of Windows 10 et 11 devices.I rechecked every parameters and driver version without success.On a booted windows, I can confirm that the magic packet is received. Any advice is welcome.Thanks...
  4. Wake on Lan broken WOL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wake on LAN WoL Randomly Waking PC During Sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wake on LAN WoL Randomly Waking PC During Sleep: Hello, I was wondering if someone here could help me out with a network-related problem, please? I am trying to use WoL to access my computer when I am away from my desktop, but my desktop cannot stay asleep because it keeps randomly being woken up by my network card, an...
  6. How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) over WiFi? (Preferably using iPhone)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Wake-on-Lan (WOL) over WiFi? (Preferably using iPhone): submitted by /u/jamesx413 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jwsrwk/how_to_wakeonlan_wol_over_wifi_preferably_using/
  7. Wake on lan- WOL not showing in network advanced option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wake on lan- WOL not showing in network advanced option: I have b-360 prime mother board and WOL absolutely not showing in network setting and also power management is not showing I tried everything I went to BIOS and enabled PCI-E/PCI and disabled fast startup and my operating system is windows 10 OS build 19041.508 I don't know...
  8. Computer is randomly waking on hibernate with WOL

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer is randomly waking on hibernate with WOL: Recently I set up WOL on my computer, and use Pulseway to remote boot. The remote boot only works on hibernate, so I usually just let my computer hibernate instead of powering it off. But when I leave it on hibernate it’ll just randomly wake without me sending the wake...
  9. Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed: I met problem when configuring wake on lan. After enabling wake on lan in BIOS and in network adapter settings, I was able to wake my computer from sleep. But the problem is my laptop won't wake up when the lid is closed. That is to say: When I manually sleep my computer...
  10. Wake from hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake from hibernation: My system goes into Hibernate mode in 180 minutes when I don’t use it and I have to wake it up by pressing the power button. The problem is that I use my laptop mainly as a desktop machine and need to lift the lid and press the button often. Is there any way to wake up the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. g14 원격부팅