Windows 10: How to wipe a hard drive clean?

Discus and support How to wipe a hard drive clean? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey there mates. I'm currently in the process of building a new computer and am aiming to nuke my old hard drive due to the fact that I'll be using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by diedrichvk, Jul 12, 2016.

1. How to wipe a hard drive clean?

Hey there mates.

I'm currently in the process of building a new computer and am aiming to nuke my old hard drive due to the fact that I'll be using it as a sort of secondary drive for the bulk of items, but I'll be using a new SSD as the drive that contains the OS. On top of that, I know you are probably thinking that I should just move the OS from my HDD to my SSD, but I sort of acquired the Win 10 OS on my HDD from a less than ethical source, so it sort of has quite a few bugs in it that I can't seem to exterminate.

TL;DR: How do I wipe a hard drive, OS and all, and still have it used as a secondary drive?

:)

diedrichvk, Jul 12, 2016
  2. Jairit Be Win User

How to wipe hard drive clean in upgraded version of Windows 10 Pro

Hi Daffy,

The main purpose of resetting Windows 10 is to delete all personal files and reset the settings. Also, all apps that were installed will be deleted.

You will end up with a clean slate regardless of recent versions of Windows on your laptop—everything is cleaned out, including any possibly existing partitions.

For more information on options when resetting your laptop, please visit this
    article
    and head over to the
    Reset your PC section.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Jairit Be, Jul 12, 2016
  3. How to wipe hard drive clean in upgraded version of Windows 10 Pro

Thanks. I really have one simple question -- if I bought the computer with Windows 8 Professional operating system why did it not go back to that? After my factory restore, it remained at the updated Windows 10 Professional, even though, as you pointed
    out, all my files and apps disappeared.

DaffyDuckKangaroo, Jul 12, 2016
  4. How to wipe a hard drive clean?

indianacarnie, Jul 12, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Even though this Tech Republic story is almost 4 years old, it remains a reasonably good source of pointers to utilities useful to your concerns: Five Hard Disk Cleaning and Erasing Tools.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 12, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 13, 2016
  7. Stephanie Win User
    I use DBAN every time, its a great tool and has never failed to get the job done %100 every time *Smile

Stephanie, Jul 13, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member

How to wipe a hard drive clean?

Thanks for the tip.

BunnyJ, Jul 13, 2016
  9. Stephanie Win User
    As you boot from DBAN it will look for Drives to wipe so its a good idea to disconnect all drives apart from the Drive you want to wipe *Smile

Stephanie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to wipe a hard drive clean?

1. How to wipe a hard drive clean? - Similar Threads - wipe hard drive

2. Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10: Hello all, I just bought a new computer with Win11. HP Envy I think. Anyway I want to wipe clean Old Computer #1. I went online and found these instructions and want to know if your agree with it: How to wipe a hard drive - Windows 10Press the Windows key.Type “Settings” to...
  3. Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10: Hello all, I just bought a new computer with Win11. HP Envy I think. Anyway I want to wipe clean Old Computer #1. I went online and found these instructions and want to know if your agree with it: How to wipe a hard drive - Windows 10Press the Windows key.Type “Settings” to...
  4. Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard drive wipe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive wipe: Hi,I need to wipe a external hard drive to reuse in another system. I thought about using ccleaner but I know it is unsafe. Just so you know I don't want to format it.Thanks...
  6. Wiping hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wiping hard drives: I am selling a pc it has 3 drives installed, i factory reset the pc and chose to delete all files, will this delete the files from all 3 drives or just the drive with the OS on?...
  7. How to wipe the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to wipe the hard drive?: I have tried to wipe the computer to give it away , three times. It always says nothing has been done *original title: after hours of waiting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-wipe-the-hard-drive/d46ef778-9626-47e2-9905-97240b712b4a
  8. Hard drive wipe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive wipe: I am having issues deleting files from my windows app folder on my secondary drive it either says i dont have access, need permission from system or error 0x80070780. I have tried all things i could find via a google search. I have 2 of them due to previous issues each with...
  9. Wiping Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Wiping Hard Drive: Hello! I just downloaded a bootable windows onto an usb stick and I from there booted up the computer from the USB stick and formatted all the disks inside the laptop. Then exitted the program. Now when I boot up the computer it just says "No operating System Installed" My...
  10. Will a clean install securely wipe the entire hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will a clean install securely wipe the entire hard drive?: If I want to completely and securely wipe my hard drive so that there is nothing recoverable left, will a clean win 10 install with formatting do this? Or do I need to first use killdisk or something similar to wipe the drive, then install windows? if I use a tool like...