Windows 10: How to you go back to the previous Windows 10 before all these updates

Discus and support How to you go back to the previous Windows 10 before all these updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can we go back to our previous Windows 10 system that we used before all of these updates? How do we do that? Will all our pictures and tiles, etc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DawnClark4, Jul 20, 2020.

1. How to you go back to the previous Windows 10 before all these updates

Can we go back to our previous Windows 10 system that we used before all of these updates? How do we do that? Will all our pictures and tiles, etc remain the same and not be lost? Will we go back to our previous Operating System and get rid of Edge? Thanks.

:)

DawnClark4, Jul 20, 2020

2. Cannot go back to previous version of windows

I'm currently facing the issue that I can't restore the my previous installation of Windows. I did the following things:

• Try to "repair-install" Windows on top of Windows using the Media Creation Tool due to a few oddities I noticed. This failed due to the error "An unknown command-line option [/DynamicUpdate] was specified".
    • Made an ISO using the Media Creation Tool and used that to "repair-install" Windows, or so I thought - apparently, doing it this way removes all your data and apps... (this is where it all started)
    • Tried to go back to the previous version using the Settings app - no luck here, as the button was simply missing
    • Made a image of the hard drive just so I can't mess up any more things
    • Copy the contents of the Windows.old folder manually to their previous place (using robocopy to ensure that all attributes and permissions were copied properly) - This mostly worked, as in I got back into Windows and the data were where they should be, but I couldn't start most UWP apps or the start menu, so something must've gone wrong. (It is possible that I forgot to delete a folder before copying the old versions, but I didn't try this again)
    • Convert the drive to GPT (previously MBR) - this was done because I noticed a few minor issues trying to boot in UEFI mode during the previous steps
    • Reinstall Windows using a newly created installer USB stick
    • Copy the Windows.old folder from the drive image onto the drive (again using robocopy)
    • Try to roll back using the recovery mode of the installer USB - this fails with the error "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead" (which I obviously don't want to/already did) - there's no error code
    • Rolling back from within Windows is still not possible

Any suggestions on how I could fix the problem? Where does the "We ran into a problem..." error come from?

Lukas Lang, Jul 20, 2020
  3. How to go back to windows 7 from Windows 10

Hi Hasnaa,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I would like to inform that the option to go back to previous Operating System will be available for a month after you upgrade to Windows 10. You’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from
    Settings > Update & security > Recovery. This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings. I suggest you to follow
    the steps provided below for how to go back to previous Operating System:

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Update & Recovery.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Recovery.
    • Click on Get Started under the option Go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (depending on the previous Operating System that was running).
    • Here you can make multiple selections why are going back to your previous version of Windows along with additional details or you can choose just one and click Next.
    Note:

If you go back to Windows 8.1, some apps that came with Windows, like Mail and People, might not work anymore. To fix them, reinstall them from the Store.

To go back, you'll need to:

• Keep everything in the windows.old and $windows.~bt
      folders after the upgrade.
    • Remove any user accounts you added after the upgrade.
    • Know the password you used to sign in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (if you used one).
    • Have the USB drive you used to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you used one).

For more information, refer to the section Go back to your previous version of Windows in the link provided below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 20, 2020
  4. How to you go back to the previous Windows 10 before all these updates

Go back to previous

After recent Ten updates, this Toshiba Satellite M645 S 4070 is out of order.

1. wireless is unable to turn on.
    2. touchpad and pointer stopped working.
    3. unable to go to BIOS menu.

they were working before the updates.

After I reset Ten to previous version from settings,
    pointer and touchpad working, and BIOS menu is available.
    However, WiFi has not able to been connected yet.
    Any suggestions or options?

electron100, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

How to you go back to the previous Windows 10 before all these updates

1. How to you go back to the previous Windows 10 before all these updates - Similar Threads - previous before updates

2. How to go back to a previous BIOS version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to go back to a previous BIOS version: Hi,So, after I updated my BIOS, any app or game just crashes whenever I run them.. so I decided to go back to the old one but my BIOS keeps telling me that it's old.How can I go back the old BIOS version? I had BIOS 204. But after the BIOS 210 update, it killed everything.I...
  3. How to go back to a previous BIOS version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to go back to a previous BIOS version: Hi,So, after I updated my BIOS, any app or game just crashes whenever I run them.. so I decided to go back to the old one but my BIOS keeps telling me that it's old.How can I go back the old BIOS version? I had BIOS 204. But after the BIOS 210 update, it killed everything.I...
  4. How to go back to a previous BIOS version

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Go back to previous version of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Go back to previous version of Windows 10: Hi if I use “go back to previous version of windows 10 does it go back to 1909 because 20h2 is so damn slow and if I did that will it delete my files on D: drive or just C: system drive...
  6. Windows 10 not going back to a previous update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not going back to a previous update: Recently my games have been stuttering badly and i assume its windows 10 since i've tried everything else, but going to recovery in settings and rolling back from to a previous version of windows 10 doesn't change anything and it stays on 1909 released on may 12th, can i get...
  7. going back to a previous date on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    going back to a previous date on Windows 10: how do i go back to settings on a previous date and get out of tablet mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/going-back-to-a-previous-date-on-windows-10/19dc87a0-cdc9-4b9b-835a-e12993359b06
  8. How to go back to the previous Windows (10) Photo version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to go back to the previous Windows (10) Photo version: Hello, Windows Photo was really a great application. Unfortunately for some mysterious reasons, the previous version was replaced by a "thing" (this is a toy not a software) who really not fit the needs according to the complains I can find everywhere. The quickfix...
  9. how to go back to before latest windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to go back to before latest windows 10 update: How do I go back to before latest windows10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-go-back-to-before-latest-windows-10-update/c770531d-b807-4600-8336-b83f828fe404
  10. Go back to previous

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Go back to previous: After recent Ten updates, this Toshiba Satellite M645 S 4070 is out of order. 1. wireless is unable to turn on. 2. touchpad and pointer stopped working. 3. unable to go to BIOS menu. they were working before the updates. After I reset Ten to previous version from...