Windows 10: How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

Discus and support How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Please forgive me because I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question for newbs. I wanted to install VirtualBox on an old computer and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by CerebralFreeze, Jun 1, 2018.

1. How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

Please forgive me because I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question for newbs. I wanted to install VirtualBox on an old computer and then have the computer connected to my router so it can get access to the internet. Although it will be connected to my network, no other PC in my house will connect to it.

I'm going to use this computer to watch stuff like PubFilm sometimes, go to websites that I don't really trust, download 3rd party programs in order to test them for a week or two, etc. I would put this virtual machine to heavy use.

My question is this:

How likely will a virus be able to break free through VirtualBox and spread throughout my network to my family's PC's?

I actually looked up the answer already on the internet and some said that VirtualBox actually isn't that foolproof and there is a good chance! Some say otherwise of course. There seemed to be mixed answers but generally people safely say that it's not 100% safe but it's pretty decent. But I'm wondering how likely percentage wise will the other PC's on my home network will get infected with viruses due to this virtual machine, within say a year's time?

I'm asking annually because I'm thinking maybe the safe thing to do is have everyone in my family just re-install their Windows fresh every year to make sure they minimize the damage of all possible viruses.

:)

CerebralFreeze, Jun 1, 2018

2. How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

Please forgive me because I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question for newbs. I wanted to install VirtualBox on an old computer and then have the computer connected to my router so it can get access to the internet. Although it will be connected to my network, no other PC in my house will connect to it.

I'm going to use this computer to watch stuff like PubFilm sometimes, go to websites that I don't really trust, download 3rd party programs in order to test them for a week or two, etc. I would put this virtual machine to heavy use.

My question is this:

How likely will a virus be able to break free through VirtualBox and spread throughout my network to my family's PC's?

I actually looked up the answer already on the internet and some said that VirtualBox actually isn't that foolproof and there is a good chance! Some say otherwise of course. There seemed to be mixed answers but generally people safely say that it's not 100% safe but it's pretty decent. But I'm wondering how likely percentage wise will the other PC's on my home network will get infected with viruses due to this virtual machine, within say a year's time?

I'm asking annually because I'm thinking maybe the safe thing to do is have everyone in my family just re-install their Windows fresh every year to make sure they minimize the damage of all possible viruses.

CerebralFreeze, Jun 25, 2018
  3. Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me?

Hey guys, I have another question I hope you can answer about safe networking.

I have another old computer that I don't use (Windows XP). Can I install VirtualBox (or Sandboxie) on it and use it when I need to access sites that aren't exactly safe.

For example, if I wanted to go to PubFilm.to and watch movies, would VirtualBox protect the other computers on my home network from getting any viruses that might get downloaded to the old computer?

Also, can I use it to test 3rd party programs. Install unknown 3rd party programs and see if the registry has changed a week later? For example, I like ShareX but not sure if it does anything harmful to my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

CerebralFreeze, Jun 25, 2018
  4. How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

Is it safe to install Virtualbox?

Hi,

Just the other day I downloaded an android emulator, which is telling me that I must have a virtualization engine for it to run. I have seen some posts where people complain about issues on Windows 10 after they had installed Virtualbox.

So I just wanted to ask that is it safe to install any kind of virtualization engine, e.g., Oracle Virtualbox, on Windows 10 version 1703, or will it result in some kind of errors?

NiladriDas, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

1. How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer? - Similar Threads - truly safe VirtualBox

2. How to uninstall old windows 10 safely?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to uninstall old windows 10 safely?: I have windows 11 on my PC. But it has a C drive with windows 11 installed on it and a D drive with windows 10 on it. How do i safely remove windows 10?...
  3. How to uninstall old windows 10 safely?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to uninstall old windows 10 safely?: I have windows 11 on my PC. But it has a C drive with windows 11 installed on it and a D drive with windows 10 on it. How do i safely remove windows 10?...
  4. virtualbox

virtualbox: Hello,The system finds VirtualBox and suggests to uninstall it manually, to run the update, but I am unable to find any app/program containing it. It's not shown in the Uninstall or Change the Program list. I do not have any Oracle installed on my PC either.Kind regards,TK...
  5. Truly Transparent GIFs?

Truly Transparent GIFs?: Hi, I'm a streamer who would like to create a gif of a 3D model in Paint 3D which will rotate in the top corner of the screen. I have been able to make the gif but it comes with the horrible grey background. I'd like the background to be completely removable like when...
  6. Is Solitaire truly random

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Solitaire truly random: I have been playing Solitaire at Grandmaster level for FIVE days, and many, many hours a day, and it has become apparent to me that this game is not truly random. There is NO way statistically that I have not won this game in this amount of time. I have therefore reached the...
  7. Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me?: Hey guys, I have another question I hope you can answer about safe networking. I have another old computer that I don't use (Windows XP). Can I install VirtualBox (or Sandboxie) on it and use it when I need to access sites that aren't exactly safe. For example, if I wanted...
  8. VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VirtualBox: I've been trying to install Andyroid but the install of virtual box always fails and removes itself with no message saying why. I have search and it seems some have git it to install without any fuss so there's little help for me on the internet. As you would expect 99% of...
  9. Truly virtual

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Truly virtual: Since there is nothing to virtualize right now, this is a truly virtual topic. Anyone care to theorize on how easy it will be to virtualize 9? *Smile 1801
  10. I'm truly amazed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I'm truly amazed: I had a SSD drive running Win 10 on a AMD CPU and decided to move it to a Intel laptop. I installed it, got everything ready for a clean install and powered up the laptop. NOT what I expected. The darn thing booted up, changed some device drivers and I was good to go. I know...