Windows 10: How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

Discus and support How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Please forgive me because I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question for newbs. I wanted to install VirtualBox on an old computer and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by CerebralFreeze, Jun 1, 2018.

1. CerebralFreeze Win User

How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

Please forgive me because I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question for newbs. I wanted to install VirtualBox on an old computer and then have the computer connected to my router so it can get access to the internet. Although it will be connected to my network, no other PC in my house will connect to it.

I'm going to use this computer to watch stuff like PubFilm sometimes, go to websites that I don't really trust, download 3rd party programs in order to test them for a week or two, etc. I would put this virtual machine to heavy use.

My question is this:

How likely will a virus be able to break free through VirtualBox and spread throughout my network to my family's PC's?

I actually looked up the answer already on the internet and some said that VirtualBox actually isn't that foolproof and there is a good chance! Some say otherwise of course. There seemed to be mixed answers but generally people safely say that it's not 100% safe but it's pretty decent. But I'm wondering how likely percentage wise will the other PC's on my home network will get infected with viruses due to this virtual machine, within say a year's time?

I'm asking annually because I'm thinking maybe the safe thing to do is have everyone in my family just re-install their Windows fresh every year to make sure they minimize the damage of all possible viruses.

:)

CerebralFreeze, Jun 1, 2018
  2. CerebralFreeze Win User

Please forgive me because I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question for newbs. I wanted to install VirtualBox on an old computer and then have the computer connected to my router so it can get access to the internet. Although it will be connected to my network, no other PC in my house will connect to it.

I'm going to use this computer to watch stuff like PubFilm sometimes, go to websites that I don't really trust, download 3rd party programs in order to test them for a week or two, etc. I would put this virtual machine to heavy use.

My question is this:

How likely will a virus be able to break free through VirtualBox and spread throughout my network to my family's PC's?

I actually looked up the answer already on the internet and some said that VirtualBox actually isn't that foolproof and there is a good chance! Some say otherwise of course. There seemed to be mixed answers but generally people safely say that it's not 100% safe but it's pretty decent. But I'm wondering how likely percentage wise will the other PC's on my home network will get infected with viruses due to this virtual machine, within say a year's time?

I'm asking annually because I'm thinking maybe the safe thing to do is have everyone in my family just re-install their Windows fresh every year to make sure they minimize the damage of all possible viruses.

CerebralFreeze, Jun 25, 2018
  3. CerebralFreeze Win User
    Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me?

Hey guys, I have another question I hope you can answer about safe networking.

I have another old computer that I don't use (Windows XP). Can I install VirtualBox (or Sandboxie) on it and use it when I need to access sites that aren't exactly safe.

For example, if I wanted to go to PubFilm.to and watch movies, would VirtualBox protect the other computers on my home network from getting any viruses that might get downloaded to the old computer?

Also, can I use it to test 3rd party programs. Install unknown 3rd party programs and see if the registry has changed a week later? For example, I like ShareX but not sure if it does anything harmful to my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

CerebralFreeze, Jun 25, 2018
  4. NiladriDas Win User

Is it safe to install Virtualbox?

Hi,

Just the other day I downloaded an android emulator, which is telling me that I must have a virtualization engine for it to run. I have seen some posts where people complain about issues on Windows 10 after they had installed Virtualbox.

So I just wanted to ask that is it safe to install any kind of virtualization engine, e.g., Oracle Virtualbox, on Windows 10 version 1703, or will it result in some kind of errors?

NiladriDas, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

1. How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer? - Similar Threads - truly safe VirtualBox

2. Migration from old computer to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migration from old computer to new computer: My old computer is dying and I am about to buy a new one. I am a 73 year old disabled vet with difficulties and I need a migration program that will transfer everything for me. I understand they will not transfer security programs. I prefer to move everything from the old...
  3. VirtualBox error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    VirtualBox error: When i try to open a Windows 10 Machine on Virtual Box it shows up this error: VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature and will fail to boot without it. How can i fix this?...
  4. Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing VirtualBox on an old computer. Will it protect me?: Hey guys, I have another question I hope you can answer about safe networking. I have another old computer that I don't use (Windows XP). Can I install VirtualBox (or Sandboxie) on it and use it when I need to access sites that aren't exactly safe. For example, if I wanted...
  5. Vmware or virtualbox?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Vmware or virtualbox?: I have tested out vmware workstation and virtualbox and can't decide which is best, can you help me? 3559
  6. How to activate Windows 10 guest in VirtualBox

How to activate Windows 10 guest in VirtualBox: I have updated my OS to Windows 10 which has been activated during the upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit. I have added Windows 10 as a guest in Virtualbox, how do I validate the Windows 10 guest? 25675
  7. VirtualBox

VirtualBox: I've been trying to install Andyroid but the install of virtual box always fails and removes itself with no message saying why. I have search and it seems some have git it to install without any fuss so there's little help for me on the internet. As you would expect 99% of...
  8. Truly virtual

Truly virtual: Since there is nothing to virtualize right now, this is a truly virtual topic. Anyone care to theorize on how easy it will be to virtualize 9? *Smile 1801
  9. Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it Safe to Shutdown a Computer?: Hi All For the last year I have let PC sleep at night, do some maintnenance over night, soon getting my first SSD drive, and not sure if letting PC sleep as I normally did is good or bad for the SSD drive, on the other hand since I can't afford new Power supply yet,...
  10. I'm truly amazed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I'm truly amazed: I had a SSD drive running Win 10 on a AMD CPU and decided to move it to a Intel laptop. I installed it, got everything ready for a clean install and powered up the laptop. NOT what I expected. The darn thing booted up, changed some device drivers and I was good to go. I know...