How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

Discus and support How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer? in Windows 10 Virtualization on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Please forgive me because I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question for newbs. I wanted to install VirtualBox on an old computer and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by CerebralFreeze, Jun 1, 2018.

1. CerebralFreeze Win User

Please forgive me because I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question for newbs. I wanted to install VirtualBox on an old computer and then have the computer connected to my router so it can get access to the internet. Although it will be connected to my network, no other PC in my house will connect to it.

I'm going to use this computer to watch stuff like PubFilm sometimes, go to websites that I don't really trust, download 3rd party programs in order to test them for a week or two, etc. I would put this virtual machine to heavy use.

My question is this:

How likely will a virus be able to break free through VirtualBox and spread throughout my network to my family's PC's?

I actually looked up the answer already on the internet and some said that VirtualBox actually isn't that foolproof and there is a good chance! Some say otherwise of course. There seemed to be mixed answers but generally people safely say that it's not 100% safe but it's pretty decent. But I'm wondering how likely percentage wise will the other PC's on my home network will get infected with viruses due to this virtual machine, within say a year's time?

I'm asking annually because I'm thinking maybe the safe thing to do is have everyone in my family just re-install their Windows fresh every year to make sure they minimize the damage of all possible viruses.

:)

CerebralFreeze, Jun 1, 2018
Thema:

How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer?

How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer? - Similar Threads - truly safe VirtualBox

1. "Safely remove hardware"

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    "Safely remove hardware": Here we go. So the "safely remove hardware" icon is not showing. To be fair, it shows randomly, no matter if I have or have not an USB connected. It's totally random. For example, if I can't see it now, I close session or reboot, and it appears. It started to happen after...
  2. "Safely remove hardware" icon not showing.

"Safely remove hardware" icon not showing.: Here we go. So the "safely remove hardware" icon is not showing. To be fair, it shows randomly, no matter if I have or have not an USB connected. It's totally random. For example, if I can't see it now, I close session or reboot, and it appears. It started to happen after...
  3. Windows 10 Pro Error 0xc000021a - can't boot in safe mode

Windows 10 Pro Error 0xc000021a - can't boot in safe mode: Hi, yesterday I was using my PC when all of a sudden it froze and I foolishly turned off the electricity. Once I turned it on, the blue screen and "error 0xc000021a" appeared. I tried everything, even (in prompt command) Dism, sfc/ scannow, chk disk /f /r,...
  4. Truly virtual

Truly virtual: Since there is nothing to virtualize right now, this is a truly virtual topic. Anyone care to theorize on how easy it will be to virtualize 9? *Smile 1801
  5. My Admin Account isn't truly admin

My Admin Account isn't truly admin: Hi guys, I have a W10 user account attached to my microsoft account. It is listed as a full on admin account. However, with certain tasks it doesn't let me do certain admin tasks. I wanted to make changes to my hosts file, but was unable to do so. Any thoughts? Thanks....
  6. Hack/Bat/Crack to truly TURN OFF laptop??

Hack/Bat/Crack to truly TURN OFF laptop??: windows 10 seems to have exacerbated the tendency of last few years for hybrid systems to never Turn OFF completely... lots of threads, few remedies, and systems of various makes/architectures are afflicted. This condition renders many laptops/tablet/hybrids a liability for...
  7. I'm truly amazed

I'm truly amazed: I had a SSD drive running Win 10 on a AMD CPU and decided to move it to a Intel laptop. I installed it, got everything ready for a clean install and powered up the laptop. NOT what I expected. The darn thing booted up, changed some device drivers and I was good to go. I know...
How truly safe is VirtualBox with an old computer? solved