Windows 10: How well would this work?

Discus and support How well would this work? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I am building a server for home use, which will consist of an i3-2100 and 16 GB of memory. It will have a single Crucial 256 GB SSD in it. On the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by DeaconFrost, Nov 16, 2015.

1. How well would this work?

I am building a server for home use, which will consist of an i3-2100 and 16 GB of memory. It will have a single Crucial 256 GB SSD in it. On the same gigabit network, I have a WD EX4 NAS. Is there a way to run Hyper-V on the server, and keep the actual VMs on the NAS unit? If so, how well will this work?

My goal is to have many VMs stored on the NAS that I can boot up at any time.

:)

DeaconFrost, Nov 16, 2015

2. How would I do this as it would interfere with my Windows 8.1 updates at this time.

<Original title: Windows 10 installation>

I have a free installation of Windows 10 ready to install and I want to cancel it. How would I do this as it would interfere with my Windows 8.1 updates at this time.

icepackgeo, Nov 16, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 16, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

How well would this work?

The issue I see is the NAS drive may not be bootable. Mine [2] are attached to the Router by Ethernet cable and not available until after an OS/Operating System has booted and running. However, some BIOS setups include booting from a LAN, don't really know if a NAS is included in that.

Berton, Nov 16, 2015
  5. Assume both the server and the NAS would be running. Let's say I RDP into the server and start one of the VMs, maybe to load a Windows 7 VM so I can test some software or verify some settings while supporting a family members computer.

DeaconFrost, Nov 16, 2015
  6. It will work, however, you can expect some latency with reading and writing data to the NAS over the network. That will be your bottleneck.

logicearth, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How well would this work?