Windows 10: How will upgrading to Windows 10 effect my PC

Discus and support How will upgrading to Windows 10 effect my PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm currently running windows 8.1 and it have it all set up just how I need it. All my desktop files are all ordered where they need to be, I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kronen76, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Kronen76 Win User

How will upgrading to Windows 10 effect my PC

I'm currently running windows 8.1 and it have it all set up just how I need it. All my desktop files are all ordered where they need to be, I have a calendar application up and running with my schedule in it, all my start-up settings and the such are formatted just how I want them, you get the idea.

I want to update to windows 10 but I really can't be bothered if it's going to mean I need to redo all of these various settings. So my question is what does updating to windows 10 change regarding the desktop, start-up and running applications?

Three more questions:

Are there any performance benefits?
    Does it have any effect on drivers?
    Will my anti-virus interfere?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

:)

Kronen76, Mar 9, 2016
  2. Arnab_81 Win User

How upgrading into Windows 10 will effect my existing environment of windows 8.1?

Hi, i am using windows 8.1 pro in my PC. several months ago windows has recommended me to upgrade to windows 10. In my windows 8.1 i am using Visual Studio 2012, Microsoft SQL server 2008 and many other developing tools and database engines. So if i upgrade
    to windows 10, using the 'Get Windows 10' app which is on the taskbar, what will happen to my database engines? will all the databases, settings be gone? Because it took me a great effort to develop some app in the visual studio using those databases of the
    Microsoft SQL Server. So i want some advice regarding this matter. How will upgrading to Windows 10 effect my PC :)

Arnab_81, Mar 9, 2016
  3. How upgrading into Windows 10 will effect my existing environment of windows 8.1?

Hi Arnab,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

In the light of the information given by you, please try to post the query in the MSDN forums as they can assist you further in this regard.

Msdn forums

or regarding to the SQL server

Msdn forums - SQL Server

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Amarjeet_Paul, Mar 9, 2016
  4. How will upgrading to Windows 10 effect my PC

Take an image of your system first, so you can roll back intact just in case. It does involve new drivers, but the upgrade process should try to update them for you. Your AV software shouldn't be affected, provided it is compatible.

On a side note, performing a clean install never has to be a big deal. I can do any of my computers in about 2 hours, start to finish.

DeaconFrost, Mar 9, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    As DeaconFrost suggested - make a system image - I recommend Macrium Reflect free, then you can go right back if you don't like Windows 10. Just make sure you have a rescue or recovery disk to boot from to restore the backup image.

One advantage to doing it this way is that it will save your permanent digital entitlement for Windows 10 for that computer on Microsoft activation servers so you can re-install Windows 10 for free on that ocmputer after July 2016 if you desire.

NavyLCDR, Mar 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I would recommend uninstalling your AV. i found my AV (Bitdefender) partially operational after the upgrade, and received a message to install a new version. That was last year, perhaps manufacturers have moved on.

It is possible to have programs installed that are incompatible with Win 10 - my first attempt to upgrade from Win 8.1 left me with a system I couldn't log in to, because I had Aeroglass installed.

As recommended above, which I reiterate, I had a disk image which I restored, uninstalled Aeroglass and tried again.

You may experience, for example, a period when you are running with a basic MS graphics driver before your 'real' graphics driver is installed.

You can use the Windows 10 compatibility checker.
    There used to be a site where you could check programs vs a compatibilty list for which people voted, but I haven't found that for many months.

Upgrade process:
    I strongly recommend creating Win 10 bootable medium and then upgrading without updates- so if sthg goes wrong you've wasted the least time. A personal choice.

You also then have the bootable medium for use in a couple of valuable repair scenarios.

Note that you will find your file associations reset to MS default, many of them to the new universal apps. Setting defaults can be problematic for some people, and must be done from Settings, the Control Panel or Open With.

By default background title bars are white (I assume this is still true(!) ). I found I had to make a number of changes before I was happy with the appearance. (And when I first installed it ALL the title bars were white, no borders, so you couldn't see what overlapped what!).

dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  7. dafanman Win User
    Kronen76: I am going to suggest that you leave your system as is.

Anytime you change operating systems there is going to be change, and I get the notion that you are not going to want to change your setup

"You have a calendar program with appts, ect" depends on the program whether it makes the upgrade or not, you really would not know until you tried.

As previously stated your best bet is to have a working system image to fall back on.

dafanman, Mar 13, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

A clean new install is the best way to go. Yes it is a bit of work but it may pay off - you won't have all those gremlins haunting you later. With that said, I would recommend to wait another 6 months or so before you commit to Windows 10. That is still work in progress. And the image suggestion for your current system is compulsory.

Thema:

1. How will upgrading to Windows 10 effect my PC - Similar Threads - upgrading effect

2. Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again: Hi so i just tried upgrading my windows 7 laptop to windows 10 and after it finish's the upgrade it just shows the crash screen and sets back windows 7 again the crash screen said "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" how to fix it?...
  3. Inplace upgrade - Will using an insider preview ISO have a negative effect?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inplace upgrade - Will using an insider preview ISO have a negative effect?: So I want to do an in-place upgrade to fix some issues that weren't solved by sfc /scannow or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. I have a windows insider preview 2004 iso. Will using it have a negative effect on a normal 2004 windows?...
  4. Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade: Will a repair installor inplace upgrade remove any of my software? I have photoshop on my computer and have lost the cd, so Id rater not have it removed. Do you think this will happen?...
  5. upgrade from 7 to 10 - Weird effects

in Windows 10 Support
    upgrade from 7 to 10 - Weird effects: In general my upgrade from 7 to 10 has gone well, yet I notice a few odd things going on... 1. On using a usb key, even if just plugging in to delete a file, win10 often refuses to eject it saying it is still in use ?? (yet not always). NOTHING is running and the led on the...
  6. Upgrade effect?

Upgrade effect?: If i upgrade from home to pro of window 10 , it's effect: -On storage and background files working? -unwanted files and directory gets deleted? Or I should install window 10 pro direct? Is there any way that all files and perspective files of uninstall software gets...
  7. cancel the effect of Windows upgrade on Command prompt window size

in Windows 10 Support
    cancel the effect of Windows upgrade on Command prompt window size: Before the upgrade to v1909, a batch file that would save a spreadsheet to two locations, then close Excel, used to open a 'DOS' window that was unobtrusively small. Now, the window stretches from the bottom to the top of the screen. It does not last long enough for me to...
  8. No screen fade to black effect after upgrading to 1903

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No screen fade to black effect after upgrading to 1903: I have noticed that the screen no longer fades to black when switching off after upgrading to 1903. There used to be a short fade effect when the screen turned off such as when putting the computer on sleep. The screen now just instantly goes off. I thought it was something...
  9. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and the effect on drivers installed at purchase

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and the effect on drivers installed at purchase: I bought an HP Omen laptop. The laptop came with Windows Home. I also bought a copy of Windows Pro. I tried doing a clean install, but evidently there were drivers that were part of the store install that were not available in Windows 10 Pro. The result as that my Omen...
  10. What effect does upgrading from Windows 10 S to Windows Pro have on Microsoft Home & Student?

What effect does upgrading from Windows 10 S to Windows Pro have on Microsoft Home & Student?: Hi, I just bought an Acer laptop for my daughter for school use with Windows 10S pre-installed. I have read about upgrading to Windows 10 Pro to enable the full version. If i do that, will it affect the licence on the Microsoft Home and Student that I bought from Harvey...