Windows 10: How Windows 10 May 2019 Update improves overall PC performance

Discus and support How Windows 10 May 2019 Update improves overall PC performance in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Windows 10 May 2019 Update offers many improvements and subtle changes that may improve performance to some extent. Microsoft’s Windows 10 version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, May 11, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

How Windows 10 May 2019 Update improves overall PC performance

The Windows 10 May 2019 Update offers many improvements and subtle changes that may improve performance to some extent. Microsoft’s Windows 10 version 1903 offers much-needed improvements to Windows Update, a new search experience, a proper light theme and even performance improvements.

Windows 10 May 2019 Update comes with two important changes that could address reliability problems on some PCs.

Robust protections for Spectre and Meltdown

Microsoft’s latest Windows update brings more robust protections for Spectre and Meltdown. Microsoft’s previous attempts at patching these vulnerabilities have resulted in performance issues, but the May 2019 Update should make things better.

Microsoft is bringing Retpoline patches to Windows 10 which should finally address performance issues and still deliver robust protections for vulnerabilities.

Microsoft describes Retpoline as a performance optimization for Spectre Variant 2. The software maker says that the new technique improves performance of Spectre variant 2 mitigations to noise-level for most scenarios.

How Windows 10 May 2019 Update improves overall PC performance Task-Manager.jpg

The previous patches for the vulnerabilities made use of capabilities exposed by CPU microcode updates and while this fixed the security problem, many users noticed performance degradation on some PCs, mostly on old devices.

Microsoft says implementation of Retpoline on Windows has significantly improved the performance of the mitigations. For instance, Microsoft noticed up to 25% faster startup when launching Office apps.

After installing Windows 10 May 2019 Update, the slowdown caused by patch for the vulnerabilities will be largely eliminated and basically become unnoticeable.

Start menu performance improvements

How Windows 10 May 2019 Update improves overall PC performance Start-Menu-in-version-1903.jpg

Start menu is getting subtle changes in Windows 10 May 2019 Update. It now comes with an expandable navigation bar, and the power button has been also updated with a new indicator to remind users when updates are pending a system reboot.

But the most important change is a new process for Start. With Windows 10 version 1903, Microsoft is moving Start into its own app (process). In older versions of Windows 10, Start was part of the broader Shell experience which resulted in reliability issues.

If a problem occurs with the main Shell process, the Start menu would remain responsive as it has its own process and this change will also contribute to the overall performance of the system.

How Windows 10 May 2019 Update improves overall PC performance Start-menu-process.jpg

During beta testing with Insiders, Microsoft noticed measurable improvements in Start reliability. For example, Start is opening significantly faster and works smoothly when the main Shell is busy.

These two changes may not make a significant impact on the performance of high-end PCs, but you’ll notice better performance on a mid-core or low-end device.

Windows 10 version 1903 has been finalized and Microsoft is now ironing out the remaining glitches. The update is scheduled to launch in late May and like the previous releases, the rollout of May update will also take place gradually.

The post How Windows 10 May 2019 Update improves overall PC performance appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, May 11, 2019
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Improve PC performance after update

Hi,

If your system encountered significant performance issues after applying an update, I recommend that you go through the recommendations provided in this support article:

Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10

Let us know the result of each steps and what helped the most to improve the performance of your PC.

Ferdz Amp, May 11, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, May 11, 2019
  4. bob_lin Win User

bob_lin, May 11, 2019
Thema:

1. How Windows 10 May 2019 Update improves overall PC performance - Similar Threads - May 2019 Update

2. Improve the performance of my PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Improve the performance of my PC: I recently noticed that my PC ran a lot slower and could run fewer apps than before. I opened the task manager while having no apps runningeven in the system tray, and I noticed I was using around 50% of my 8GB of RAM. I scrolled through the list of processes and background...
  3. May 2019 Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    May 2019 Windows 10 Update: At start up, Tips for the update were on my screen. Where do I find them again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2019-windows-10-update/0afc9357-6c27-4b57-8f34-ba392a3f47f9
  4. May 2019 update for windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    May 2019 update for windows 10: Hoping someone can help with this issue. I use a usb device for wifi. I don't have any other usb devices connected to my pc. I have tried numerous times to upgrade to the May update with no success. Keeps telling me "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using...
  5. How to get Windows May 2019 Update?

How to get Windows May 2019 Update?: My laptop is on build 1809. I ran Windows Update but did not get the New Version. I found that I could download the new build using the update assistant: [img] The downloaded file already exists on my pc - I keep all my downloads in a download map - since 7/12/18 so this...
  6. May 2019 update on windows 10

May 2019 update on windows 10: I did the may 2019 update: next day when I tried to sign on, windows does not recognize my password, opens as if I am a new Microsoft/windows account ( home screen with a window) and all folders/photos (and some apps) missing. I'm asked to set up new account because it says...
  7. Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Windows 10 May 2019 Update: [ATTACH]Hello, I am using Windows 10 and currently on version 1809 May 2019 update. While everyone else is on Version 1903 May 2019 update. Why am i still stuck on Windows 10 Version 1809 while other people are on Windows 10 Version 1903?...
  8. How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update

in Windows 10 News
    How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update: In early April, we announced enhancements to the Windows update process to improve the user experience with more control, transparency, and the initial availability of the Windows 10 May 2019 Update through the Windows Insider Program’s Release Preview ring to focus on and...
  9. Windows 10 May 2019 Update: The best nifty improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2019 Update: The best nifty improvements: Windows 10 May 2019 Update comes with a long list of improvements and while there aren’t too many new features, there’s something for everyone. Windows 10 May 2019 Update has a lot more to offer than Windows Sandbox, Light Theme and improved Windows Update controls. Windows...
  10. Drop in overall PC performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drop in overall PC performance: Hello So a while ago i had a problem where after a bluescreen, my pc refused to boot. I took it for repairs and i got told it was an electrical issue in the power box. It was replaced and i thought it was the end of it. But since then my PC's performance noticeably...