Windows 10: How Windows 7/10 defender firewall works?

Discus and support How Windows 7/10 defender firewall works? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My device set firewall as below, Inbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked. Outbound connections that do not match a rule are allowed.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Roy Sanada, Sep 19, 2019.

1. How Windows 7/10 defender firewall works?

My device set firewall as below,
    Inbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked.
    Outbound connections that do not match a rule are allowed.

Once the program use the port to send the data, the incoming data from the same port can pass.

I found the description of windows 2003 firewall descript as below

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pr.../it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc755604(v=ws.10)

There are only two conditions under which traffic can pass through Windows Firewall:

When the incoming traffic corresponds to a recent outgoing request, in which case the response traffic is then considered incoming solicited traffic.

May I know above firewall strategy still available for windows 7/10 defender firewall?

:)

Roy Sanada, Sep 19, 2019
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

windows defender firewall

Hi Faye,

Third-party antivirus programs usually have their own uninstallers provided by the software developer. We suggest checking the developer's website or contacting their support team for assistance with uninstalling their program. After fully uninstalling the
    third-party antivirus software, you may turn on Windows Defender by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center and press Enter.
    • Click Firewall and network protection.
    • Click Private (discoverable) network and click On.
    • Click Public (non-discoverable) network and click On.

Let us know if you have any other concerns about Windows Defender.

Yolvi Ell, Sep 19, 2019
  3. windows firewall question

yes i am sure i am having no issues with a router. this is at my work. and i only have issues with the windows 7 firewall.

as for adding ports, i do it the same as what is listed in your picture.

THRiLL KiLL, Sep 19, 2019
  4. How Windows 7/10 defender firewall works?

Windows Defender Firewall showing On and Off at the same time

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the Windows Firewall shows as switched off even after turning it on. For better understanding of the issue, please answer the questions below.

1. Which build version of Windows are you using currently?
    2. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    3. Do you have any security software/firewall installed?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run the troubleshooter for Windows Firewall and check if that helps. Refer the article

Automatically diagnose and fix problems with Windows Firewall

If the above method doesn’t t work, please follow the next method.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try enabling the services responsible for Windows Firewall and check if that helps.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for ‘Run’.
    2. In Run dialog box, type services.msc and hit enter.
    3. Now look for the services: Security Center,
      Windows Defender Antivirus Service, Windows Defender Firewall Service,
      Windows Defender Advanced Thread Protection Service,
      and Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service.
    4. Right click on each service and click on Start.

If the above method doesn’t work, please try the next method.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to check if any conflicting registry entries are present which are blocking Windows Defender Firewall to turn on.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer the article on
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for ‘Run’.
    2. In Run dialog box, type regedit and hit enter.
    3. Now navigate to the location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options
    4. Look if there are any registry keys named: MSASCui.exe, MpCmdRun.exe or MsMpEng.exe.
    5. If there are any such entries, then delete them by right clicking and selecting Delete.
    6. Click on Yes.
    7. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 19, 2019
Thema:

How Windows 7/10 defender firewall works?

1. How Windows 7/10 defender firewall works? - Similar Threads - defender firewall works

2. Windows Defender Firewall is not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Firewall is not working: Recently I had just uninstalled Norton 360 and restarted my PC. Upon restarting everything I went to activate my windows firewall. However, I was unable to restore the firewall settings and it threw an error code of 0x800706d9 saying that windows defender couldn't change some...
  3. Windows Firewall/Windows Defender Firewall

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Firewall/Windows Defender Firewall: I keep getting this security notification the says: "Firewall and Network Protection - Turn on Windows Firewall" see attached screenshots. 4 of the screenshots says/indicate that the firewall is turned on, but the security notification still pops up saying to turn on...
  4. Windows 10 Defender Firewall

Windows 10 Defender Firewall: I received an email from Roger Harmelink of Windows Defender Firewall. It thanked me for an order of the firewall and said the charge was $499.99. I didn't order it. I phoned the number 754-764-1190 given "if you want to cancel this order" and was told that this was an...
  5. windows defender firewall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows defender firewall: hi all my windows defender firewall in wondows 10 is disable and I cannot do anything to repair it. please help me Daniele https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall/deb9a9f4-ea71-4739-b2cd-0e6b657aea27
  6. Windows 10 Defender Firewall

Windows 10 Defender Firewall: The Windows 10 Defender firewall appears to becoming more and more of a kluge and obfuscation. Import/export of individual rules appears impossible. Import/export of rules from different versions is a crap shoot - ie going form 1809 to 1909. Even going from 1909 to 1909...
  7. Windows firewall defender not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows firewall defender not working: i m using windows 10 and my windows defender firewall is tuned off . I cannot restore its settings and it says use recommended settings which wont work if i click it. Also the network status is dashed line .When I turn on Network discovery and save changes it turns it back....
  8. Windows Defender Firewall

Windows Defender Firewall: Hi, Any idea how to delete these, from the screenshot. I uninstalled PowerDVD but its left these rules behind on my firewall monitoring. [img] Thanks 131858
  9. Windows Defender Firewall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender Firewall: My computer has recently crashed twice in a row, then told me to turn on Windows Firewall Defender.However I am unable to turn it on at all, it provides me with this message when i try turning it on : Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code...
  10. Windows Defender Firewall

Windows Defender Firewall: I'm using windows 10 1709 home on one notebook and version 18 on another. How are Apps able to enable disabled firewall settings, and, have the ability to automatically allow other apps through the firewall? For example Zune, Cooking Fever, One Note...etc go from disabled to...