Windows 10: How Windows does determine which are the 'new items' when you connected an external device...

Discus and support How Windows does determine which are the 'new items' when you connected an external device... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, After having installed Windows 10 to replace my Windows 7, I realized that, during the 1st import attempt, all the photos on my external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OnyxJFD, Oct 29, 2019.

1. OnyxJFD Win User

How Windows does determine which are the 'new items' when you connected an external device...

Hello,

After having installed Windows 10 to replace my Windows 7, I realized that, during the 1st import attempt, all the photos on my external devices were considered as 'new items'. So, for example, I re-downloaded 9900 photos from my Iphone instead of the 15 new ones that were taken since I changed my OS.

I know that I could have selected 'Review and organize items to import' to only select some of them, but I'd like to understand how it works (and also to have all my photos marked as 'already downloaded' without being obliged to re-download them a second time).

My conclusion is that the import status of one item is stored somewhere in Windows (and not on the device).

My question is : where is the 'already downloaded status' of each photo kept on my PC ? Where can I see it and eventually, can I update it to force/prevent the re-download a second time of some photos in case I need it (e.g. If I accidentally delete them from my PC) ?

Thanks for your help.

Jean-François

:)

OnyxJFD, Oct 29, 2019

2. folders in connected USB devices (like my phone or external hard) close immediatly after attempting to open

Hi,

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things.

• Are you able to open the folder that are saved on the computer?
    • Do you get nay error message when you open the folder?

To determine whether the issue is with external device or the computer I suggest you to connect the external device to different USB ports and also connect the USB to different computer, check whether the issue persist or not.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Windows 10 upgrade: can no longer connect to an external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the external monitor in Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

As you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps, let us know the following to assist you better:

• What exactly happens when you try to connect to the external display?
    • Were you able to see the light on the external monitor (Tuned on/ not)?
    • Is there any error message with this issue?

Step 1: As this may look very silly, I suggest you to check if the turned on or not, if it is on let us know the color of the light displayed.

Step 2: I suggest you to remove all the external devices except mouse and keyboard and try to perform clean boot to check if there is any issue with the device and to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot
    state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 29, 2019
  4. How Windows does determine which are the 'new items' when you connected an external device...

Surface connection to external device

Hi Niveita,

The message that you received when connecting your Surface Pro to an external display may arise due to an incompatible display resolution. As an initial step to rule out any display rendering issues, we suggest that you change the
    resolution on the Display settings. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Click on Start menu or the Windows logo.
    • Click on Settings or the gear icon.
    • Select System.
    • Under the Display tab, click on the Advance display settings link.
    • Set the resolution to 1366 x 768 or lower.
    • Once you're done, check if the issue persist.

In the event that the issue persists, try changing the resolution under Control Panel >
    Intel Graphics Settings and check if you encounter the same issue.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

How Windows does determine which are the 'new items' when you connected an external device...

1. How Windows does determine which are the 'new items' when you connected an external device... - Similar Threads - does determine are

2. The new update of April which fails to connect external devices like mouse and headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The new update of April which fails to connect external devices like mouse and headphones: When we update new updates where the peripheral devices fails to connect hope so Microsoft will fix this soon and help the community not go wild...
  3. How does bios determine new system configuration?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does bios determine new system configuration?: This is a strange question, so here is the background on why I am asking it.I have been chasing a random BSOD that happens once or twice a day. Yesterday it was about every 20 minutes and this finally allowed me to rule out the Gtx 1660, and the DDR4 RAM by swapping them out....
  4. How does bios determine new system configuration?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How does bios determine new system configuration?: This is a strange question, so here is the background on why I am asking it.I have been chasing a random BSOD that happens once or twice a day. Yesterday it was about every 20 minutes and this finally allowed me to rule out the Gtx 1660, and the DDR4 RAM by swapping them out....
  5. How does bios determine new system configuration?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. How does windows determine if a driver is appropriate for a device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How does windows determine if a driver is appropriate for a device: I'm trying to install a device driver on windows 10 and windows keeps saying that "Windows could not find drivers for your device".What exactly is it looking for?I am working for the manufacturer, trying to get a driver working that no one understands. It is the appropriate...
  7. How does windows determine if a driver is appropriate for a device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How does windows determine if a driver is appropriate for a device: I'm trying to install a device driver on windows 10 and windows keeps saying that "Windows could not find drivers for your device".What exactly is it looking for?I am working for the manufacturer, trying to get a driver working that no one understands. It is the appropriate...
  8. How does windows determine if a driver is appropriate for a device

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Is there a way to programmatically determine which device triggers a Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a way to programmatically determine which device triggers a Windows Update?: Hello - Is there an API or registry entry that supports finding the device that triggers a Windows driver update? What I would hope to find is a VID/PID corresponding to the device matched by the Windows Update matching algorithm. Thank you....
  10. How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to.: I've tried Sysinfo32, CPU-Z, HwMonitor and Diskpart. I have 3xM.2's in a PC. They are all 970 Pro 1TB. I am continuously having to remove drives and power up the PC to see which drive I just removed. Bit of a pain when one is under the GPU. I'm upgrading one of the 1TB...