Windows 10: How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD?

Discus and support How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I recently upgraded my Dell inspiron 3650 to an SSD leaving me a 1TB drive to use as storage, which I did and it worked great for about 2 weeks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by artislee, Jan 25, 2017.

1. artislee Win User

How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD?

Hello I recently upgraded my Dell inspiron 3650 to an SSD leaving me a 1TB drive to use as storage, which I did and it worked great for about 2 weeks and then i started to notice small glitches in my system until finally my Bluetooth just quit working all together. So after 4 hrs chatting with Dell support and resetting my PC and losing everything we finally figured out that it was the OS still on my old drive that was still trying to run so I opened my tower and unplugged the original 1TB and left only the SSD and now all is fine except I have 1TB of storage that I dont know how to clean so that I can use it. I am not worried about losing all data on the drive so hopefully that will make things easier. If anyone has any ideas all advice will be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

artislee, Jan 25, 2017

2. Windows 10 Installed on Wrong Drive

It would be expected to boot from the old hard drive until you unplug the source hard drive, as you've done nothing to tell it to do otherwise.

Often after cloning or reimaging it requires unplugging the source drive to run Startup Repair from the booted Windows media or
    Recovery drive

until it starts.

But if you're afraid to unplug the source drive. you can install
    EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required)
    to the source drive to Add the new install on the Add New Entry tab by Type, Name (your choice) and drive letter as seen from the old OS. Once you Add Entry reboot and choose the new OS from a Windows
    Boot menu.

Then once the new OS is booted you can type msconfig in Start Search, open System Config, on Boot tab delete the old OS to removed it from the Boot Menu. You can also install EasyBCD to it to delete the old OS on the Edit Boot Menu tab, or hide it by choosing
    Skip the Boot Menu. Once removed from Boot Menu, restart to test the Clone will boot, move the data off the old drive to delete all partitions in Disk Mgmt, or to get it cleaner wipe it with

Diskpart Clean Command
    . Then repartition in Disk Mgmt as desired for storage, etc. It is always best to delete all old OS partitions to avoid multiple problems.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jan 25, 2017
  3. lost_gnu Win User
    Replacing an existing Hard Disk by cloning

Go back to the previous operating system? That's going to be tough because I deleted all my Win7 files and backup folder after using Win10 for 2 months.

The suggestions in the link provided don't really help me much, either. I have gone online to look for a solution and almost everyone seems to have cloned their hard disk and 'swapped' the old HD with the cloned HD and moved on with their life as if it's
    not such a big deal.

I checked several cloning software and decided to go with EaseUS because

1. it was free and

2. it claimed I could just clone and have my system up and running without the need to install everything again.

After deleting unnecessary files and uninstalling older programmes, I got my Used Space down to 215Gb from 410Gb and cloned the drive, using EaseUS, which took about two hours. However, after switching the old HD with the new one, when I booted up, I got
    the same message my friend got: Boot image not found. Insert boot disk.

I don't think it can be as complicated as I think. I just want to copy everything from my old hard disk to the new one, remove the old disk and put in the new one and continue using my laptop without having to install the OS, MSOffice and other software
    all over again.

If someone can tell me how to do that, without saying fancy stuff like "create a boot disk, change boot sequence at startup, update BIOS, etc" I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

lost_gnu, Jan 25, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

It's simple enough delete all partitions create new ones format job done. If you have problems in Windows lots of free partitions software that boots from CD to do it

Samuria, Jan 25, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
  6. Steve C Win User
    +1 for MiniTool Partition Wizard (MPW). I suspect the active partitions belonging to the old OS on your old HDD are causing problems. Use MPW to delete all partitions on the old drive, then create a new (or several new partitions) and format them. Ensure no partitions are active. Ensure you have backed up any data you want to keep from the old HDD before you wipe it!

Steve C, Jan 26, 2017
  7. topgundcp Win User
    @artislee
    Since you don't care about the data on this disk. You don't need any third party software to accomplish this task.

• Reconnect your 1TB HD, make sure that the SSD is set to first boot order in BIOS then boot up Windows.
    • To delete all partitions from the disk. Open Admin command (Win+X->Command Prompt (Admin)) and type:
      diskpart
      list disk ====> Take a note of disk # associated with the 1TB HDD
      select disk # ====> replace # with disk # noted from above
      clean
      exit
    • Open disk management (Win+X->Disk Management), initialize it then format to be used as data disk.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD? - Similar Threads - delete old cloned

2. How to delete cloned OS from ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete cloned OS from ssd: HP desktop running W10 V 21H2. I have a 256g ssd with OS, a number of programs. Also have had a 2t hd D: with lots of programs, data.I cloned the C: drive to a WD Blue 1t ssd. It boots well, but I had hoped to use the extra ~600g to expand the C: drive. Unfortunately, that...
  3. How to delete cloned OS from ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete cloned OS from ssd: HP desktop running W10 V 21H2. I have a 256g ssd with OS, a number of programs. Also have had a 2t hd D: with lots of programs, data.I cloned the C: drive to a WD Blue 1t ssd. It boots well, but I had hoped to use the extra ~600g to expand the C: drive. Unfortunately, that...
  4. How to delete cloned OS from ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?

How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?: How to delete old HDD OS. Used to have my windows on a HDD and Cleaned Installed on a new M.2. I'm ok with losing the files of the old HDD windows but I partitioned drive that has 500mb of storage that I cant delete.I have a new MoBo and Processor that has m.2. I clean...
  6. How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?: How to delete old HDD OS. Used to have my windows on a HDD and Cleaned Installed on a new M.2. I'm ok with losing the files of the old HDD windows but I partitioned drive that has 500mb of storage that I cant delete.I have a new MoBo and Processor that has m.2. I clean...
  7. How to delete old OS partitions from HDD. Using cleaned installed new OS from a m.2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?: Hi! I bought a new SSD and cloned the OS from my HDD into it. I tried booting the computer without the HDD opened the computer, physically removed it and booted. It booted just fine but I noticed that the pathway for my apps is still C:/.... when the letter for the OS in...
  9. Proper way of cloning the OS from HDD to SSD

Proper way of cloning the OS from HDD to SSD: I bought a new SSD for my laptop, so I wanted to clone the OS from HDD to SSD. My questions are.... [ATTACH] 1. Should I clone the recovery and other 3 partitions to the SSD ? C drive is obvious 2. If I did clone all the 4 partitions to SSD, should I delete the older...
  10. Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd: Not sure if this was answered(cant find 1) but recently cloned windows 10 from HDD to SSD. My HDD was setup as GPT and the partition was setup with the OS as almost the full 1tb size. I had and currently have alot of used space that i dont wanna lose if it can be avoided....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should I delete extra partitions after cloning

2. after cloning should i remove partitions on old hd

3. how to delete os on hdd

4. how to delete old windows on cloned drive