Windows 10: How would I find out if I am running TPM 2.0?

Discus and support How would I find out if I am running TPM 2.0? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently ran across an article online about Windows 10 saying it needed all new systems running TPM 2.0 by this Summer. Where would I find out if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jesse Williams, May 14, 2016.

1. How would I find out if I am running TPM 2.0?

I recently ran across an article online about Windows 10 saying it needed all new systems running TPM 2.0 by this Summer. Where would I find out if I am running the latest TPM?

:)

Jesse Williams, May 14, 2016

2. How to find out if I am using windows Mail app?

How to find out if I am using windows Mail app?

ChandrasekarapuramRSubramaniam, May 14, 2016
  3. JimWynne Win User
    How to find out if I am using windows Mail app?

If you're using it, how could you not know? Look for Mail in the list of apps in the start menu.

JimWynne, May 14, 2016
  4. How would I find out if I am running TPM 2.0?

5. copiman Win User
    I checked my 2 PCs with 10 and I don't see it. I looked in device manager and there is no security tab which the article mentioned. Is TPM 2.0 something that can be installed and if so where can it be found?

copiman, May 14, 2016
  6. I did the same thing. I checked my Laptop, which ran Windows 7 and my Desktop which ran Windows 8.1, and I don't see the tab either. So I don't know. I don't think this is a hoax, as it is coming from WinBeta. WinBeta is a pretty trusted and accurate site when it comes to Microsoft Windows.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    TPM 2.0 is only going to be required for manufactures to put the Windows 10 certified label on computers they sell. It is not going to be required for the anniversary update for users. Don't worry about it if you can't find it on your computer hardware.

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

How would I find out if I am running TPM 2.0?

It is a chip on the motherboard that handles hardware encryption. If you do not have the chip, do not worry. Nothing will stop working when Microsoft rolls out Redstone.

bro67, May 14, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    It has nothing to do with a label on a box. It is a chip on the motherboard that works at the hardware level to handle certificates to keep the hardware and OS safe.

As of right now, no server motherboards will have the chip built on the motherboard. Any motherboard mfg for export to overseas will not have the chip either.

"

Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
    The Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Work Group has been chartered to create the TPM specification. The definition of the TPM architecture comes from the Technical Committee and the TPM Work Group defines the implementation of that architecture. A working knowledge of security in relation to the design and usage of cryptographic modules as well as cryptographic techniques including public-key cryptography, cryptographic algorithms and protocols is recommended.

A new research report on “Trusted Computing” published by Aberdeen Group, a Harte-Hanks Company (NYSE:HHS), reveals that organizations that have deployed applications based on trusted computing infrastructure exhibit superior capabilities in security governance, risk management and compliance compared to other respondents. The term “trusted computing” refers to applications that leverage hardware-based “roots of trust” at the edge of the network and at the endpoints – sometimes referred to as “hardware anchors in a sea of untrusted software” – for higher assurance.

TPMs are a basic building block used in most other specifications, for providing an anchor of trust. They can be used for validating basic boot properties before allowing network access (TNC), or for storing platform measurements (PC Client), or for providing self-measurement to provide anchors of trust to hypervisors (Virtualization)."

Trusted Platform Module (TPM) | Trusted Computing Group (TPM)

This is the list of companies involved in this nextgen technology. Member Companies | Trusted Computing Group

bro67, May 14, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I know what TPM is. And I know most of my computers don't have it. And I know that I am not going to add it to my computers that don't have it. And I also know that it is not required for my computers to have it to get the anniversary update this summer. Therefore, I have zero concern about it. And I am pretty sure that I have all that in common with the vast majority of Windows users except that most of them probably have never even heard of TPM, although some of them might wonder what Tire Pressure Monitoring has to do with Windows.

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    NavyLCDR, there is nothing to add. As for Belarc, it has been known to throw out false information. even if it is on the motherboard, the chip will not be activated until the OEM or Motherboard manufacturer pushes out the bios update to activate the piece of code that puts the chip in action to handle what TPM does.

No one is worrying about it, same as the reason that no one is worrying about UEFI. Unless you have Crypto needs or for securing your machines in an environment such as Enterprise, it will not even affect the common user base out there. Just like UEFI is still not working on Linux distros, TPM will not be fully functional and be turned off by default or offer a switch in the BIOS like Secure boot for users to turn it off if not needed.

Too many people are fretting over something that is a nothing,.

bro67, May 14, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

What's the difference between worrying and fretting? There are at least a few posters on this forum who thought that they wouldn't be able to update to the anniversary release because they didn't have TPM 2.0. And that is why I posted that Microsoft is only requiring manufacturers to have and enable TPM 2.0 on their new systems in order to carry the Windows 10 certified label. Otherwise, to the home user it doesn't matter if they have TPM 2.0 or not - they will still get the Windows 10 update to the anniversary edition.

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  14. First, I think you don't need to worry about that, but if you still wonder, I found this
    1:Open Run (Windows +R)
    2:type in devmgmt.msc (to open Device manager)
    3:roll down to Security devices, then expand it.
    For me, I got 2.0 *Wink

How would I find out if I am running TPM 2.0? [​IMG]

If you don't have 2.0, you may need to find out in BIOS, sometime you may need to check if your hardware support it, to find out how, please go to your manufactured page

phamthanhnhan, May 14, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    There is not going to be anything in the bios showing this chip on the motherboard. The end user cannot disable the chip once the bios is updated by either the mfg or OEM update if a user pushes it out to the Bios.

There really is too much worry on this module which is the nextgen in security protection for systems. It is actually more of a benefit for the Enterprise in medical, financial and military/government who need to keep their systems secured. The average home user will never even know about it.

The Alphabet agencies will always find a way in. They found a backdoor into TOR through a Zero day flaw. Apple has been using TPM for a while now on their devices. That is why the FBI cannot break into the iOS devices and Mac hardware.

bro67, May 14, 2016
Thema:

1. How would I find out if I am running TPM 2.0? - Similar Threads - find running TPM

2. I would like to find out how I can remove my information of the dark web

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to find out how I can remove my information of the dark web: In 2018 my email adress has been shared on the dark Web which I have found out today from Google dark report. I would like to find out how I can remove my information of the dark web...
  3. I would like to find out how I can remove my information of the dark web

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I would like to find out how I can remove my information of the dark web: In 2018 my email adress has been shared on the dark Web which I have found out today from Google dark report. I would like to find out how I can remove my information of the dark web...
  4. How can I find out why I am being charged for a subscription?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find out why I am being charged for a subscription?: I am being charged a monthly fee of 9.99 and I have no idea what it is for. It says I have a subscription. A subscription to what? Why can't I talk to someone on the phone?...
  5. How can I find out why I am being charged for a subscription?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find out why I am being charged for a subscription?: I am being charged a monthly fee of 9.99 and I have no idea what it is for. It says I have a subscription. A subscription to what? Why can't I talk to someone on the phone?...
  6. How would I find the device accessing YourPhone.exe?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How would I find the device accessing YourPhone.exe?: I see this app running way to much when I have it disabled in the regedit. I would like to know how can I find the device that is accessing it. How would I find the UUID and match it to a device? Any and all the information I can get on this would be great.Thank you,vickyl71...
  7. How do I find out if Defender is running? Run only on-demand

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I find out if Defender is running? Run only on-demand: How do I find out of Defender is currently running? If the shield icon is NOT appearing in Systray does NOT mean something. I have no shield icon in SysTray but I got occasionally notification popus/messages from Defender anyway that there are no threats. So Defender must...
  8. How do I find out of Defender is running? Run only on-demand

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I find out of Defender is running? Run only on-demand: How do I find out of Defender is currently running? If the shield icon is NOT appearing in Systray does NOT mean something. I have no shield icon in SysTray but I got occasionally notification popus/messages from Defender anyway that there are no threats. So Defender must...
  9. How can I find out what is running in back ground

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I find out what is running in back ground: How can I find out what is running in back ground? How can I set my computer to let me know what is running in the background. I can hear something running sometimes. Since I am on a metered wifi I would Like to know...
  10. How to find out if I am Wifi-connected to Router or to Repeater?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find out if I am Wifi-connected to Router or to Repeater?: The Wifi network here consists of a Router and a Repeater for it. Assume I am sitting with my notebook in the about mid between them. How can I find out if the computer is currently connected to Router or to Repeater? ...without physically touching the devices (e.g....