Windows 10: HP C4180 Printer Driver Installation Problems

Discus and support HP C4180 Printer Driver Installation Problems in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, Been trying to install my HP C4180 Printer drivers (latest drivers from manufacturer's website) but have been encountering repeated errors.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Thelps, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Thelps Win User

HP C4180 Printer Driver Installation Problems

Hi all,

Been trying to install my HP C4180 Printer drivers (latest drivers from manufacturer's website) but have been encountering repeated errors.

The drivers install fine until the part where the Installation Wizard request you connect the Printer via USB. The installer then errors claiming the USB cable was not connected.

It is not a faulty USB cable. The printer prints despite imperfect driver installation.

When the installation completes the Printer works but the HP Solution Centre software does not detect the Printer and consequently the printer cannot be ordered to Scan documents to the computer.

The issue seems to be that the installation failed at a specific point. The Printer appears in Device Manager but there is also the name of the Printer listed under Other Devices with a Yellow exclamation mark next to it.

When I try to do Update Driver from the HP driver files on that device I get the following log output from setupapi.dev.log :: See attachment.

Any ideas what I need to do to ensure a perfect install of the Printer's drivers?

:)

Thelps, Oct 27, 2017

2. My HP Photosmart C4180 not workinging for Windows 10

how to uninstall HP Photosmart C4180 for windows 10

tpaspatisone1, Oct 27, 2017
  3. Wingra Win User
    Windows 10: HP Solutions Center error message "Please plug in USB cable or re-run the setup program

I have installed an HP c4180 printer. I can print from the computer, but I cannot open the solutions center in order to scan. The HP troubleshooter indicates the software is installed.

Wingra, Oct 27, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

What USB port is the printer plugged into......USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? It needs to be a USB 2.0 port.

Plankton, Oct 27, 2017
  5. Thelps Win User
    Thanks for your reply, Plankton.

The majority of the USB ports are version 1.1 (listed under Device Manager as "Universal Host" ports). Out of 6 physical USB ports 4 are listed under Device Manager as "Universal Host" (USB 1.1) and 1 is listed as Enhanced Controller Host (USB 2.0). It neglects to mention a 6th port...

The printer used to work fine with all features functional, plugged into the port it's currently using. Is the demand for USB 2.0 ports due to the version of driver I'm trying to install? How do I determine which physical ports are 2.0?

Would there be a workaround, such as using an older driver version?

Incidentally: How did you determine that the USB port version was the problem?

Thelps, Oct 27, 2017
  6. There's no physical connection between the USB port you see on your computer and 1.1 or 2.0 ports /hubs / controllers on your m/b. When you plug a USB device into a port on the computer, Windows dynamically decides the controller to connect for use by your device. A USB 2.0 device should get connected to an Enhanced Controller (i.e. usb 2.0).

IMHO: I think your error message is misleading. You connect your printer and the USB device is detected. Based on your description, Printer driver gets installed but Scanner driver install fails. (You see the printer in device manager, I believe it's the scanner under Other devices as its install failed.) Instead of indicating part of the driver install process failed you get a message about device not detected (which is clearly not the case)

Your setupapi.dev.log includes the following
    Code: Error installing file (0x00000002)!!! flq: Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.! flq: SourceFile -'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dot4.inf_x86_f2d3e3a3eb366a95\x86\PortChanger.exe'! flq: TargetFile - 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\PortChanger.exe'[/quote] My interpretation: HP scanner driver gets loaded into DriverStore repository (as it should) yet when Windows tries to actually install the device driver for the scanner, file PortChanger.exe has gone missing!! My best guess: your antivirus. uninstall the driver. disconnect from internet. disable A/V. Run the HP install executable again.

Anyway, that's my best guess. Hope it helps.

ComputerGeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HP C4180 Printer Driver Installation Problems - Similar Threads - C4180 Printer Driver

2. Trouble with HP Printer and old printer installs/drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with HP Printer and old printer installs/drivers: Recently moved houses and moved router but did not change WIFI name or Password. Printer had issues printing so I removed and reinstalled in the HP app and Windows App. Had to do this multiple times to get it to work but now I have multiple instances of the same Printer...
  3. Trouble with HP Printer and old printer installs/drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble with HP Printer and old printer installs/drivers: Recently moved houses and moved router but did not change WIFI name or Password. Printer had issues printing so I removed and reinstalled in the HP app and Windows App. Had to do this multiple times to get it to work but now I have multiple instances of the same Printer...
  4. Problem in installing printer driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem in installing printer driver: HiI have a problem in installing my printer program after I click on it will start extracting and nothing happening after it.I tried everything and nothing happened...
  5. HP printer driver problem

HP printer driver problem: Hi guys - I have a tiny HP Deskject 3720. The other day I had to switch my modem off and on again for another reason and I seem to have lost the printer. First it said it was 'offline', now it is saying there is a driver problem and the printer is greyed out from the...
  6. HP Printer Driver Problem

HP Printer Driver Problem: Downloaded the printer driver for HP LaserJet Pro 400 series, M451dn. Attempted to install, restarted, unplugged, restarted again and continue to get the fatal error message unable to install. Works fine on other computers without Windows 10 Pro....
  7. HP Printer driver problem.

HP Printer driver problem.: Lately when I run windows update I see this: A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install. We'll keep trying to install. Then if I say retry I get this: Hewlett-Packard - USB - 2/10/2017 12:00:00 AM - 44.1.2402.1741 Successfully...
  8. Printer driver installing problem

Printer driver installing problem: I'm trying to install Sharp AR-206 network printer. Driver will be found from Windows Update, but Windows won't install it . I just get notice "Printer driver not installed". [ATTACH] With my other computers (also Win10Pro) I don't have this problem. Is there any way to...
  9. HP Printer driver installation issue

HP Printer driver installation issue: Greetings, I'm doing some tech support for a friend of the family, and I'm having trouble with installing her printer drivers. She has 2 printers hooked up to her wireless network, both HP products - that aren't being detected by the driver installer when it comes to that...
  10. Problem with HP Printer Driver

Problem with HP Printer Driver: Driver Program opens fine, goto select software wanna install, stops dead there, click on to Continue, nothing happens, even tried another mouse no luck, WIndows 10 Pro 64bit Creators 15063.296, Logitech Mouse, G600 8.92.67 driver for that. Printer is Deskjet F4480 84322