Windows 10: HP dv7 laptop- any way to use webcam mic for cortana ?

Discus and support HP dv7 laptop- any way to use webcam mic for cortana ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Don't use her very often yet. Mostly ok desktop since I have a gaming headset. Don't want to use it on laptop though. Haven't been able to get it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pittguy578, Nov 6, 2015.

1. HP dv7 laptop- any way to use webcam mic for cortana ?

Don't use her very often yet. Mostly ok desktop since I have a gaming headset. Don't want to use it on laptop though. Haven't been able to get it to work with webcam mic. Is it even possible ?

:)

pittguy578, Nov 6, 2015
  2. Scopqiue Win User

Is there a way to specify a mic just for Cortana?

I have a headset and mic that I use for VoIP and gaming and a webcam with integrated mic sitting on my monitor. Right now it seems that Cortana can ONLY use the input set via the Recording Devices accessed through the volume icon in the system tray.

Is there any way to dedicate a mic to Cortana, or is she stuck using whatever is set through the Recording Devices?

(The reason is because in a similar fashion, there's no way to specify which input to use with the Xbox App Party feature, meaning if the system input is set to webcam mic, then XBParties will use the webcam mic. If I switch to the headset for use with the
    XBParties, then Cortana will end up using the headset mic as well).

Thanks!

Chris

Scopqiue, Nov 6, 2015
  3. webcam won't turn off

Note that if you have the 'Hey Cortana' feature enabled, and it is using your webcam's mic, your webcam will effectively always be 'on' although it's only the mic. The only way to avoid this, other than by turning off 'Hey Cortana', is to set a different
    mic to be default in the windows sound settings. You can still set your webcam mic to be default communications device, but Cortana uses the main default mic you select.

OP, if you don't need this extra info now, others may well.

Andy-Calling, Nov 6, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

HP dv7 laptop- any way to use webcam mic for cortana ?

You can use any microphone present in the system, Cortana listens the default recording device.

Right click the Speakers icon in Notification area, select Recording devices:

HP dv7 laptop- any way to use webcam mic for cortana ? [​IMG]

Right click the microphone you want to use, set it as the default device:

HP dv7 laptop- any way to use webcam mic for cortana ? [​IMG]

Kari, Nov 6, 2015
Thema:

HP dv7 laptop- any way to use webcam mic for cortana ?

1. HP dv7 laptop- any way to use webcam mic for cortana ? - Similar Threads - dv7 laptop webcam

2. Best way to maintain DV7 drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best way to maintain DV7 drivers: having problems maintaining DV7 drivers for the onboard camera on windows 10 os. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-way-to-maintain-dv7-drivers/259e7cb9-fe3c-45cc-8d69-bb23dd54553e
  3. Webcam and Mic stopped working on laptop

Webcam and Mic stopped working on laptop: Hello guys ! I have an MSI GS66 laptop and suddenly my camera and mic stopped working. The camera isn't on device manager even in hidden mode. I've try so far : - Reset windows - SFC Scan restore health, cleanup etc... - Checking privacy - Running troubleshooter on...
  4. BSOD on laptop HP Envy dv7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on laptop HP Envy dv7: My father's laptop recently started having BSOD. Here are dump files Dump Files Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-on-laptop-hp-envy-dv7/3ed119fd-a4b3-4e71-be66-2f9704ca9e8f
  5. Laptop ( HP Envy dv7 ) Windows 10 hat Problem?

Laptop ( HP Envy dv7 ) Windows 10 hat Problem?: Hello, everyone, I have a relatively old laptop. An HP Envy dv7 with Windows 10. In itself it works great but since the day before yesterday I have two problems, which strangely enough appeared at the same time. For one thing, the touchpad is spinning. You can use it...
  6. Mic used in talking to Cortana

in Cortana
    Mic used in talking to Cortana: Does a Snowball mic work with Cortana in Windows 10, version 10.0.0.18362, build 18362? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mic-used-in-talking-to-cortana/555e79fa-16d2-4590-85eb-572b8f3af756"
  7. webcam and mic

in Windows 10 Customization
    webcam and mic: how to access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/webcam-and-mic/bed538b8-ab30-4e98-b67c-a2f4280e9f6c
  8. Use the webcam the opposite way

Use the webcam the opposite way: I want to use the webcam to take a picture from the opposite direction. How do I "turn it around" so to speak to take a picture of a person on the other side of the laptop?...
  9. Any working way to remove Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any working way to remove Cortana?: Is there a way to completely remove Cortana? I disabled it, but it keeps running in the background. I did find some suggestions to remove it, but it also removes the search and causes problems to other stuff. So is there a working way by now to do that? Thanks! 38858
  10. Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop: Hope I am in the right forum. My problem is as follows: My wife and I have same HP laptops. Her motherboard died. I have two hard drives in my computer. C drive had system on it and D drive had mostly mp3's. I took out the D drive and inserted my wife's HD thinking I might be...