Windows 10: HP Elitebook 840 G5 Can Only Use One Monitor at a Time via Docking Station

Discus and support HP Elitebook 840 G5 Can Only Use One Monitor at a Time via Docking Station in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I know this topic comes up often but I've read through them all and this specific issue does not appear on this forum anywhere, it pertains to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SamAGL, Nov 28, 2018.

1. SamAGL Win User

HP Elitebook 840 G5 Can Only Use One Monitor at a Time via Docking Station

I know this topic comes up often but I've read through them all and this specific issue does not appear on this forum anywhere, it pertains to the computer model in the title. For the record, this issue is for an employer-issued PC and I would never spend my money on any HP products. I was reading an email on my laptop, which is connected to a docking station, which is connected to two monitors. Without me touching anything, the second monitor suddenly shut off. I checked the display settings:

HP Elitebook 840 G5 Can Only Use One Monitor at a Time via Docking Station 21021dbc-cc68-4077-8afc-ba840eae8cc4?upload=true.png

*** So it says it cannot detect the display anymore. Then I tried to re-add it as a device, here's the Devices screen:

HP Elitebook 840 G5 Can Only Use One Monitor at a Time via Docking Station 2018d627-8ae3-4012-bc81-30ec74bd60e3?upload=true.png

And there are my two monitors, already there... So my issue is that I can't add the monitor as a device because the Devices screen says it is already connected, but I can't get the monitor to work because the Display Settings screen says the monitor is not there.

Another strange detail: when I unplug the monitor that is working, the second monitor turns back on and becomes my main screen. This leads me to believe that it is not a problem with the cable or the monitor or any of the hardware for that matter? Has anyone ever seen this odd behavior before?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

:)

SamAGL, Nov 28, 2018
  2. Naveen_M Win User

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue might be due to the display driver or due to improper connection.

Windows can automatically detect one additional display. If you connect two or more monitors, you must manually designate the primary display, and apply display settings. So, when you connect it the next time, Windows will identify the primary display and
    applies the settings specified for each additional display.

You can try the below steps and check:

Update the display driver and check:

Refer this article on
    Update drivers in Windows 10

You can also update the graphics driver from the
    HP website
    for the product that you are using.

I would also suggest you to download and run the
    HP Support Assistant
    . This will provide support for updating and managing the device firmware on the system.

Unplug the external monitors and try the below steps

1. Power off the laptop, and connect the first monitor.

2. Power on the external monitor first, and then the laptop.

3. Press Windows key + P together, and select Extend.

4. Power off the laptop, and connect the second monitor.

5. Power on the external monitors, and then the laptop.

6. Press Windows key + P together, and select Extend.

Take your time to try the suggestions and let us know the results at your earlier convenience.

Regards,

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naveen_M, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Eric F Win User
    How to disable trackpad for HP Elitebook 840 G5

As the question states, I am simply trying to disable my touchpad on my HP laptop. So I think this is very specific for the HP Elitebook 840 G5 as I have tried the following generic methods to disable the trackpad:

1. Under mouse settings, using the Synaptics tab. This tab does not exist for me. (Reference HP Notebooks with Synaptics TouchPad - How to Disable the "Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad" Feature | HP® Customer Support)
    2. Disabling the Synaptics driver. I thought this would work for sure too but I tried to disable all of the mouse drivers available under Mice and other pointing devices (Device Manager) and the trackpad still works.
    3. Using third party software. I tried "touchpad-blocker" and even when enabled, the touchpad still works.
    4. Double tapping the top left corner (how do i disable a touchpad on an hp elitebook 850 laptop? - HP Support Community - 5480918) This does nothing for mine.

I am open for other suggestions. I am really surprised that disabling the driver didn't work.

Eric F, Jan 28, 2020
  4. HP Elitebook 840 G5 Can Only Use One Monitor at a Time via Docking Station

External monitors through both docking station and laptop ports

I recently got a new laptop through work - an HP EliteBook 840 G3. My current setup that I had been using at my desk was 3 external monitors plus my laptop screen. I had two monitors plugged in through the docking station via VGA and DisplayPort and the
    third monitor I plugged into the VGA port on the laptop itself. This worked with my old laptop but with this new one it doesn't detect a monitor plugged into the laptop port when it's docked. I have tried looking through video settings with no luck. Windows
    says my drivers are up to date and I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the docking station itself (it's the same docking station).

Would anyone have any advice for getting this setup working?

sublime8365, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

1. HP Elitebook 840 G5 Can Only Use One Monitor at a Time via Docking Station - Similar Threads - Elitebook 840 Monitor

2. Only one monitor working at a time on my HP Elitebook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only one monitor working at a time on my HP Elitebook: Hello- Hoping to get some help with an issue I'm facing.My computer recently performed a windows update and ever since, only one of my monitors will work at a time. If I plug in my monitor via thunderbolt, the display turns on and works just fine. As soon as I plug in my...
  3. Only one monitor working at a time on my HP Elitebook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only one monitor working at a time on my HP Elitebook: Hello- Hoping to get some help with an issue I'm facing.My computer recently performed a windows update and ever since, only one of my monitors will work at a time. If I plug in my monitor via thunderbolt, the display turns on and works just fine. As soon as I plug in my...
  4. Only one monitor working at a time on my HP Elitebook

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How can I connect my HP laptop my EliteDisplay E201 monitors using an HP docking station G5...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I connect my HP laptop my EliteDisplay E201 monitors using an HP docking station G5...: How can I connect my new HP laptop to my EliteDisplay E201 monitors using an HP docking station G5 when HDR is not supported? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-connect-my-hp-laptop-my-elitedisplay/9db1ed8e-1a64-426a-9439-99d21c76936b
  6. HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts: Hi all,My name is Thomas,I am in the process of reintall a Windows 10 a laptop that I got form the previous company of my wife.Thanks to the community I manage to access the BIOS menu.Then I looked at the process of creating a bootable flash drive.I understood that I had to...
  7. HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts

HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts: Hi all,My name is Thomas,I am in the process of reintall a Windows 10 a laptop that I got form the previous company of my wife.Thanks to the community I manage to access the BIOS menu.Then I looked at the process of creating a bootable flash drive.I understood that I had to...
  8. HP EliteBook 840 G5 no longer starts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Second Monitor not detected via docking station.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second Monitor not detected via docking station.: Hello my friends,Today I have received a new docking station, but I am having some trouble connecting my second monitor to it main monitor is working. I am trying to connect:1x 4K 60Hz via DisplayLink WORKING1x FHD 60Hz via HDMI NOT DETECTEDI am using this Baseus docking...
  10. My HP EliteBook 840 G5 Camera just stopped working...

My HP EliteBook 840 G5 Camera just stopped working...: My camera has stopped working all of a sudden, I'm getting the following error message: [ATTACH] I have checked the Device Manager and the camera is not showing up anywhere. What is the next step?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp elitebook 840 g5 dock to monitor not working

2. elitebook 840 g5 docking station

3. dell dock can only use one monitor

4. hp elitebook 840 g5 two monitors,
  5. can elitebook g5 handle two external monitors,
  6. win 10 hp elite book 850 g5 multiple monitor session issue,
  7. hp elitebook shows only one monitor with docking station,
  8. hp elitebook 840 g5 multiple monitors,
  9. add a third monitor to a docking station,
  10. use elitebook 850 g5 as a docking station with 2 external monitors,
  11. what universal docking ststion can i use with hp 840 g5,