Windows 10: HP Envy 15 J151sa - A couple of post-upgrade issues

Discus and support HP Envy 15 J151sa - A couple of post-upgrade issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All Well like so many people out there I was keen to get my hands on the new Windows 10 setup and upgraded via the "Get Windows 10" app on day... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BillyWils, Aug 2, 2015.

1. BillyWils Win User

HP Envy 15 J151sa - A couple of post-upgrade issues

Hi All

Well like so many people out there I was keen to get my hands on the new Windows 10 setup and upgraded via the "Get Windows 10" app on day one. Whilst on the whole the upgrade went smoothly I have spotted a couple of problems since.

1. One of the USB 3.0 ports isn't working. The others all work fine. I've removed the drivers and restarted along with adjusting the power options to prevent the system disabling but the problem remains.

2. The wired Ethernet port isn't working and the adapter isn't showing in device manager. Also when the laptop is shut down the transmit/receive LEDs are permanently on. When the laptop is powered up they are both off.

I've used the online chat to speak to HP support and their official line is "Windows 10 is a phased rollout and we're working with the MS technicians to make the drivers available" though no idea of a time scale was given. I was then advised to revert back to Windows 8.1 for the time being, although apparently the revert back option doesn't currently work either.

Fortunately I did take the precaution of cloning the disk before doing the initial upgrade, so going back isn't too much of a hassle. I thought I'd see if anybody can offer up any workarounds I can try beforehand.

Any advice appreciated.

:)

BillyWils, Aug 2, 2015
  2. KB6903 Win User

Post- Windows 10 Upgrade Issues with HP Envy Ultrabook 4-1030us

Hi there. I recently upgraded my HP Envy Ultrabook 4-1030us, previously running Windows 7 Home Premium, to Windows 10. Laptop purchased in 2012, no issues until now with the OS or any general functioning. The Windows 10 installation process seemed to go
    normally, but did take about 4 hours. Once complete, immediate issues were apparent, including:

-Extremely long lag in cursor movement after mouse movement

-Start menu eventually stopped appearing (whether I clicked the start button or used the Windows key)

-Programs taking multiple minutes to open or to respond, usually freezing up and requiring a restart of the computer

-Very slow video streaming through Google Chrome (I have seen that Google Chrome appears to have some streaming issues with Win 10) and audio for advertising playing in the background of streaming video with no apparent source - required a restart to stop
    it, but it kept happening ( I do maintain active anti-malware and anti-virus programs, which found nothing)

-Computer would take 10+ minutes to shut down (even with all programs closed), would require me to force shut down by holding down the power button in some situations

-Computer would shut down instead of restart

A friend helped me do a clean re-install of Windows 10. This time, it took only 1 hour to install and did seem to immediately have better interface functionality. Was able to successfully and painlessly download and install many programs which were removed
    in this process, including Google Chrome. However, when trying to re-install my Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 software and make other adjustments, the process of downloading the executable files for Office seemed to overwhelm Google Chrome, and I
    tried Microsoft Edge instead, which was able to download the file. The Office installation window never went past "Installing now..." at 0%; I waited 45 minutes and nothing happened. At this point, the Start menu is again unresponsive and the computer is extremely
    slow and difficult, similar to how it was after my first Windows 10 installation attempt.

Please let me know if I am leaving out any key info to ascertain what might be the issue. I want to get Windows 10 to work, but at this rate I will be forced to revert to Windows 7 - at least it worked! Thank you!

KB6903, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Post- Windows 10 Upgrade Issues with HP Envy Ultrabook 4-1030us

HI,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10. We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

From the issue description I understand the issue you’re facing with as start menu control panel is not working and even performance of the system is extremely slow.

Issue1: Performance

The performance of the machine as you described, could be due to incompatible drivers after upgrading to Windows 10. I would suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's support website and check install all the latest drivers available.

If some of the drivers do not install, install them in compatibility mode for previous version of Windows.

a. Right click the driver installation file and select Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.

b. Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.

c. Tap or click the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click OK.

d. Try installing the driver and check.

You may refer to:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

(information holds good for Windows 10 as well)

You can also refer to the link
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Issue2: Start menu

Frist I would suggest you to run sfc scan and check if it helps.

The “sfc /scannow” command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from that menu.

b) On the command prompt window, type the following command, and then press “Enter”

sfc /scannow

c) Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the scan.

If the issue persist refer to the below step.

We are seeing some issues where the Start Menu is non-responsive. Please try the following:

1. Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.

2. Click File > Run New Task

3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”

4. Type Powershell

5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot

And for Microsoft Office issue I would suggest you to post your query in Microsoft Office Forums.

Results in Office - Microsoft Community

Hope this helps you, let us know if you need any other help.

Regards,

Anusha

Anusha Verma, Aug 2, 2015
  4. philby Win User

I have the same laptop as you and am hoping to upgrade to Windows 10 soon, but really don't fancy losing the wired Ethernet port in particular - I was just wondering whether or not these issues have since been resolved?

philby, Mar 15, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    Have you guys since updated to the November update? And all the other cumulative updates? You should be on build 10586 at least.

edit: this article may also be of help.

swarfega, Mar 15, 2016
  6. BillyWils Win User
    Hi philby

In the end I did manage to resolve with Hp directly. Turned out to be a hardware failure which was repaired under warranty.

The good news was that after getting my machine back I was able to upgrade without the problem reoccurring and have been running on 10 ever since.

Had an issue with the finger print reader not working at first but after uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling all was well.

The only annoyance which still remains today is when I attempt to switch users via the start menu. Everytime my screen goes off and won't come back on until I power off/on. If I switch users by pressing Alt F4 and selecting from the dropdown or by logging off first it works fine.

I am on the latest build and updates are all automatic.

Other than that no problems. I'd recommend the upgrade on your machine.

BillyWils, Mar 15, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    Glad you sorted it and thanks for the feedback.

swarfega, Mar 15, 2016
  8. philby Win User

Thanks very much for the reply! That's encouraging to hear, I'll try to upgrade this weekend (though I don't think my laptop is under warranty so I'll have to hope for no problems on that front...).

philby, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HP Envy 15 J151sa - A couple of post-upgrade issues - Similar Threads - Envy J151sa couple

2. Problem with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe HP ENVY 15

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe HP ENVY 15: Hi, i have problem with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe on my HP ENVY x360 15 ee1093cl AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics.i have try to re install display adapter and still get the Blue Screen after i used my laptop >1 hours.here i attached the mini dump here.Please...
  3. Problem with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe HP ENVY 15

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe HP ENVY 15: Hi, i have problem with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe on my HP ENVY x360 15 ee1093cl AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics.i have try to re install display adapter and still get the Blue Screen after i used my laptop >1 hours.here i attached the mini dump here.Please...
  4. HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-cn0xxx laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-cn0xxx laptop: So I bought this HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-cn0xxx laptop back in October 2018 and ever since August it's been giving me keyboard issues. I've updated the drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and the keyboard still keeps giving random issues. For example, it...
  5. Drivers needed for HP Envy 15-K203tx Notebook Pc

Drivers needed for HP Envy 15-K203tx Notebook Pc: Hi, I have HP ENVY 15-k203TX Notebook PC and it came with preinstalled Windows 8.1 64-bit OS, then upgraded to Windows10. At present, planning to do clean install and install "Windows 10 October 2020 Update" In Software and drivers for HP Envy Notebook -15-k203tx,...
  6. Camera Issues HP Envy

Camera Issues HP Envy: My device cant locate the camera. it has been working fine for the past 2 months, and now the camera stopped working and isn't listed under devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-issues-hp-envy/705b78dd-9b2c-4a76-8766-5d94d514fc68
  7. New HP ZBook Studio, HP ZBook Create, and HP ENVY 15 available

in Windows 10 News
    New HP ZBook Studio, HP ZBook Create, and HP ENVY 15 available: [ATTACH] HP’s newest additions to the HP Create Ecosystem are aimed at all levels of creators – consumers, prosumers and professionals – to help bring digital concepts and ideas to life and share them. This line-up includes the HP ZBook...
  8. HP Envy X360 Convertible 15-ds0040au

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Envy X360 Convertible 15-ds0040au: I just bought an Envy x360 a little while ago, but when I try to set up Windows Hello Face the option says "This option is currently unavailable", and below, it says "Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown" I've troubleshot my device, and I have the...
  9. Sound issue HP Envy

Sound issue HP Envy: I am experiencing a rather inconvenient and annoying problem with my HP Envy machine. Almost every time it goes to sleep, when I wake it up, the sound doesn't work. When I restart, it works just fine. But it's inconvenient to have to restart my computer every time. This used...
  10. Issues HP Envy 4500

Issues HP Envy 4500: Issues HP Envy 4500 with my pc Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issues-hp-envy-4500/043c58b3-2f87-4134-ac72-18a3d82dc9a9