Windows 10: HP Envy Laptop cannot enter Sleep Mode or Hibernate after optional update installed

Discus and support HP Envy Laptop cannot enter Sleep Mode or Hibernate after optional update installed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft Community, I posted this in the HP forums, but I thought it might be a good idea to ask for advice here as well. I bought a new HP Envy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Togusa888, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Togusa888 Win User

HP Envy Laptop cannot enter Sleep Mode or Hibernate after optional update installed

Hi Microsoft Community, I posted this in the HP forums, but I thought it might be a good idea to ask for advice here as well.

I bought a new HP Envy Laptop in August, and I've been having a strange issue for almost the entire time that I've owned it. When I first received it, the latop's sleep mode worked normally for the first two days. However, after installing several updates for various apps, windows updates, nvidia updates, and so on...I realized that every time I closed my lid, my computer would completely restart. It also happens when you press the sleep button manually. The computer goes to sleep for about one second, and then restarts completely. I've tried all sorts of fixes in the Power mode, various troubleshooters, and even complete system reboot.

Then, I sent the computer to HP for two weeks. When the computer came back, everything had been reset, but the sleep mode worked again for about two weeks.

However, once I installed an optional update in late September, the sleep mode and hibernation mode stopped working again. I was hoping that Windows or HP would release an update to fix the problem, but I can't stand it any more. I know that the issue is not the computer hardware itself because it has worked perfectly during those times before the optional updates were installed.

Also, I have this one optional download that's been giving my computer problems since August called "Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - Keyboard - Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard for HP Hotkey Support". It won't install correctly, and I'm wondering if the computer is trying to force an update while in Sleep Mode. Since the update isn't working, the computer just decided to reboot suddenly instead. I've tried to hide it from the computer, but I don't know if this is working correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to avoid updates forever, but I also hate to shut down the computer completely every time I walk away for awhile.

:)

Togusa888, Oct 18, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

sleep or hibernate

sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.

Mussels, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Yo_Wattup Win User
    sleep or hibernate

I think you have sleep and hibernate confused... sleep just puts the computer in a low power state, making resuming the session faster... hibernate shuts down the whole computer and basically just saves whats in RAM to the hdd and loads it on next startup. IIRC...

Yo_Wattup, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Yaqub K Win User

HP Envy Laptop cannot enter Sleep Mode or Hibernate after optional update installed

HP Envy Laptop Battery not charging after Windows 10 installation

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I suggest you to un-install and re-install battery drivers from Device manager and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Device Manager.
    • Expand Batteries and right click on Batteries ACPI and click on Un-install.
    • Restart the computer and check.

If the issue persist, I suggest you to visit HP Envy website and check whether HP has released any firmware updates for Windows 10. If so, please go ahead and install them and check with the issue.

Yaqub K, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

1. HP Envy Laptop cannot enter Sleep Mode or Hibernate after optional update installed - Similar Threads - Envy Laptop cannot

2. LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE: I am experiencing a sleep problem with my laptop. Whenever I attempt to put it in sleep mode, it only gets locked and doesn't actually enter sleep mode. It remains active and only becomes locked, failing to enter sleep mode. Additionally, the power button light doesn't blink...
  3. LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE: I am experiencing a sleep problem with my laptop. Whenever I attempt to put it in sleep mode, it only gets locked and doesn't actually enter sleep mode. It remains active and only becomes locked, failing to enter sleep mode. Additionally, the power button light doesn't blink...
  4. Laptop enters hibernation mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop enters hibernation mode: My laptop enters hibernation mode after some time of sleep. I want to have hibernation mode available in shutdown option from Start menu, but I don't want to it enters hibernation mode after maybe 10 to 60 minutes after I close laptop. How could I prevent it from...
  5. Laptop enters hibernation mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop enters hibernation mode: My laptop enters hibernation mode after some time of sleep. I want to have hibernation mode available in shutdown option from Start menu, but I don't want to it enters hibernation mode after maybe 10 to 60 minutes after I close laptop. How could I prevent it from...
  6. BSOD after entering Hibernate mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after entering Hibernate mode: When I try to use hibernate mode, the system appears to hibernate at first, but the computer then blue screens with a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error. Here is the minidump and msinfo export if needed: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsnnHJ975lu9hQ-TgAQqNGCQWlUu?e=1wdWWE...
  7. Laptop does not enter sleep mode after 20h2 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop does not enter sleep mode after 20h2 update: Hi, I updated my thinkpad x1 laptop with 20h2 version and since than it does not enter sleep by it self. did anyone encounter the same problem? how can I fix it? Thanks, 171086
  8. Laptop Restarts After Entering Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Restarts After Entering Sleep Mode: Hi I've seen a lot similar scenarios to this and they're all seem to be different. Here I have a HP spectre x360 15t 2019 running Windows 10. I've had the laptop for two days and I realise that about 20 seconds after I close the lid or hit the power button in order to put the...
  9. HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep: I have set my HP 250 G7 to sleep after 30 minutes when plugged in but after a couple of hours it switches to hibernate. I am not sure when this started happening eg after a BIOS update or Windows update to 1909 but it never used to do this it would remain in sleep mode and I...
  10. Cannot enter sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot enter sleep mode: Windows 10 is simply not able to enter sleep mode. Whenever I try, the monitor shuts off, but the computer power does not. When I move the mouse, the log-in screen appears (as it would when your computer comes out of sleep). I looked at Windows Event Viewer, and this is...