Windows 10: HP envy laptop - USB 3 slot incorrectly marked.

Discus and support HP envy laptop - USB 3 slot incorrectly marked. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there I thought the USB 3 slots were BLUE by convention. On my Envy Laptop there is one BLUE slot - it's also a charging USB slot. However a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Jan 4, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HP envy laptop - USB 3 slot incorrectly marked.

Hi there

I thought the USB 3 slots were BLUE by convention. On my Envy Laptop there is one BLUE slot - it's also a charging USB slot. However a Toshiba external USB3 device plugged into that slot has a WHITE Led when active indicating USB 2 speed.

I move the HDD to one of a pair of USB slots on the other side of the computer --not colour coded at all --and Hey presto the Toshiba HDD led goes BLUE indicating it's operating as a USB 3 device. Copying files also indicates it's operating at expected speed whereas connected into what I thought was the "Official" USB 3 slot only gave USB 2 data transfer speeds.

Shows you need to TEST the devices - don't always rely on external labelling etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 4, 2016

2. Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter driver Missing in hp notebook

This should be marked as the official answer.

Thanks!

Tip: For my HP Envy I had to choose the very first drivers that came with the laptop

LawiMutuma, Jan 4, 2016
  3. windows 10 won't recognize password after updating.

My HP Envy laptop, brand new, won't let me reset the password without a USB flash drive. None available. Can't open my laptop at all.

JeriSilman, Jan 4, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

That is strange, as my HP Envy Desktop has the blue for USB 3 and shows black for USB 2 and they are correct. I was wondering IF maybe the sata connection wires are not plugged in correctly from the motherboard? But, glad you got it figured out, anyhow.

OldMike65, Jan 4, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    All the Notebooks I've worked on that had USB 3.0 ports were blue and marked on the case as USBSS [for SuperSpeed]. They also had drivers for USB 3.0 in Device Manager, separate from USB 2.0 drivers. Note: in my experience the USB 2.0 ports are bootable but USB 3.0 usually aren't, don't have basic drivers in the BIOS so have to rely upon the Operating System to load them.

Berton, Jan 4, 2016
  6. georgeks Win User
    georgeks, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HP envy laptop - USB 3 slot incorrectly marked. - Similar Threads - envy laptop USB

2. HP Envy Laptop -

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Envy Laptop -: How do I TURNOFF the Touchpad?? HP Envy laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-envy-laptop/c37915bf-15bf-4f00-bd1a-8d6f60b2728f
  3. Hp 360 envy

Hp 360 envy: Just hooked up an external monitor to my laptop. Can I fold the envy back on itself and still use keyboard? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-360-envy/1c2595ec-889f-4f6f-8a29-5745f8845b39
  4. HP Envy x360

in Windows 10 Customization
    HP Envy x360: My desktop went down so I connected my monitor to the laptop, but every time I try to turn the screen around to the back the keyboard does not work. Any suggestions on how to keep keyboard from shutting down? I've already set it up to only show on the large monitor....
  5. HP Envy printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    HP Envy printer: For some reason, suddenly I cannot print in colour from laptop, prints colour from pad but laptop, any suggestions. I have had printer for 2 years. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-envy-printer/0216a0cd-41e3-4c93-8530-d98865600657
  6. USB ports on my HP Envy

USB ports on my HP Envy: how can I tell which of the 3 ports are 3.0 and 2.0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-on-my-hp-envy/41de5231-f2c3-4c0e-9ca1-e05404265afc
  7. HP Envy 4520 Offline

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Envy 4520 Offline: HP Envy 4520 Offline +1-844-802-7535. Getting Problem with your HP Printer it demonstrate disconnected issue. We are Here to help you any kind of investigating HP printer disconnected issue. Our Technical group 24*7 Ready to settle your HP Printer disconnected issues.
  8. HP Envy 5034 will not connect to my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HP Envy 5034 will not connect to my laptop: Have posted this problem before with the Microsoft community who have been so helpful. After Windows 10 did a R efresh update my HP Envy became an app and the printer details showed the connect and driver faded out. Charley in particular tried to help me but had to contact...
  9. troubeles in the laptop HP ENVY x360

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    troubeles in the laptop HP ENVY x360: now am facing a problem in the sound, it is not working well as I changed the screen and I sent the lap to china so I found troubles also some programs changed the language to Chinese and I don't understand so I need the configurations of the sound and how to change the...
  10. DIMM slot 1, 3 or DIMM slot 2, 4?

DIMM slot 1, 3 or DIMM slot 2, 4?: New PC conf. and I got RAM question, shall I put the memory sticks in SLOT 1/3 or stay with my current setup 2/4? Intel Core i7-4790 3.6g 1150 Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 DDR3 1600 CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP 16GB (2X8) 240PIN DDR3 1600 SAPPHIRE RADEAON R9 380 NITRO 4GB DDR5...