Windows 10: HP envy laptop - USB 3 slot incorrectly marked.

Discus and support HP envy laptop - USB 3 slot incorrectly marked. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there I thought the USB 3 slots were BLUE by convention. On my Envy Laptop there is one BLUE slot - it's also a charging USB slot. However a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Jan 4, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HP envy laptop - USB 3 slot incorrectly marked.

Hi there

I thought the USB 3 slots were BLUE by convention. On my Envy Laptop there is one BLUE slot - it's also a charging USB slot. However a Toshiba external USB3 device plugged into that slot has a WHITE Led when active indicating USB 2 speed.

I move the HDD to one of a pair of USB slots on the other side of the computer --not colour coded at all --and Hey presto the Toshiba HDD led goes BLUE indicating it's operating as a USB 3 device. Copying files also indicates it's operating at expected speed whereas connected into what I thought was the "Official" USB 3 slot only gave USB 2 data transfer speeds.

Shows you need to TEST the devices - don't always rely on external labelling etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 4, 2016

2. Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter driver Missing in hp notebook

This should be marked as the official answer.

Thanks!

Tip: For my HP Envy I had to choose the very first drivers that came with the laptop

LawiMutuma, Jan 4, 2016
  3. windows 10 won't recognize password after updating.

My HP Envy laptop, brand new, won't let me reset the password without a USB flash drive. None available. Can't open my laptop at all.

JeriSilman, Jan 4, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

That is strange, as my HP Envy Desktop has the blue for USB 3 and shows black for USB 2 and they are correct. I was wondering IF maybe the sata connection wires are not plugged in correctly from the motherboard? But, glad you got it figured out, anyhow.

OldMike65, Jan 4, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    All the Notebooks I've worked on that had USB 3.0 ports were blue and marked on the case as USBSS [for SuperSpeed]. They also had drivers for USB 3.0 in Device Manager, separate from USB 2.0 drivers. Note: in my experience the USB 2.0 ports are bootable but USB 3.0 usually aren't, don't have basic drivers in the BIOS so have to rely upon the Operating System to load them.

Berton, Jan 4, 2016
  6. georgeks Win User
    georgeks, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HP envy laptop - USB 3 slot incorrectly marked. - Similar Threads - envy laptop USB

2. Is there a slot for a usb card on a HP Stream 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a slot for a usb card on a HP Stream 11: I have a HP stream 11 laptop. I want to save work externally. I notice that there is a micro slot in the side is that for a micro card. I want to order something but do not know what to ask for online !...
  3. Is there a slot for a usb card on a HP Stream 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a slot for a usb card on a HP Stream 11: I have a HP stream 11 laptop. I want to save work externally. I notice that there is a micro slot in the side is that for a micro card. I want to order something but do not know what to ask for online !...
  4. Windows 11 HP Envy laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 HP Envy laptop: My Windows 11 HP laptop has a message telling me my "Comcast account is not up to date"? I've tried several fixes but no luck. I've seen fixes on Google for this problem with Windows 10 but not 11....
  5. Windows 11 HP Envy laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 HP Envy laptop: My Windows 11 HP laptop has a message telling me my "Comcast account is not up to date"? I've tried several fixes but no luck. I've seen fixes on Google for this problem with Windows 10 but not 11....
  6. HP Envy x360 BSOD WHEA INCORRECTABLE ERROR

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP Envy x360 BSOD WHEA INCORRECTABLE ERROR: Hi everyone If someone could please help me sorting out this issue I would be really grateful I've got a second hand Hp Envy x360 15-bp152wm laptop I am facing BSOD several times per session I've updated all drivers to latest updates and I also tried reinstalling...
  7. hp envy laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hp envy laptop: New hp envy laptop kb backlight wont stay on long enough. works ok but goes to sleep to soon. press any key works fine but once the kb is lighted is goes dark in a few seconds. not windows issue since there is no settings for it. it is driving me nuts.. haven'tt found a hp...
  8. Incorrect number of RAM slots

Incorrect number of RAM slots: Task manger incorrectly displays number of RAM slots used as 2 of 4. I have a Aorus X570 mini itx motherboard that definitely only has two slots. I think this only occurred after updating to windows 10 1909 to 2004. Could this be a BIOS issue?...
  9. HP Envy Laptop -

HP Envy Laptop -: How do I TURNOFF the Touchpad?? HP Envy laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-envy-laptop/c37915bf-15bf-4f00-bd1a-8d6f60b2728f
  10. USB ports on my HP Envy

USB ports on my HP Envy: how can I tell which of the 3 ports are 3.0 and 2.0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-on-my-hp-envy/41de5231-f2c3-4c0e-9ca1-e05404265afc